Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 10:29 PM

Default KJo flops two pair.

In retrospect I think check-raising the pre-flop raisor is the best way to protect this hand. Does anyone object to jaming the pot with such a powerful but relatively vulnerable holding? After UTG wakes up on the river it wasn't looking good but the pot was too small to fold.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, UTG (poster) calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG calls.

River: (11.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
Old 01-13-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: KJo flops two pair.

No betting out is the best way to protect your hand. Since there was a raise PF you should focus on winning right there. Remember to protect you holding in a large pot.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:19 PM

With this bet, you got all but 1 player to face 2 bets cold. If you went for the check raise you would have instead made everyone face 1 bet except 1 player. But, you aren't trying to build a bigger pot, you are trying to protect your hand. Bet into the raiser, he will raise most of the time and you can 3bet and get it down to 2-3 players by the turn.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:23 PM

I think you played this fine.

Unfortunately, there's no way to trap the field for two bets cold on the flop. If you c/r then only MP2 gets faced with two cold. If you bet out, then only UTG will face two cold. (Assuming a CO raise.)

So, I figure I've probably got the best chance to win this hand, even though I'm vulnerable. Therefore, I'd bet the flop.

You're likely beat on the river, but yeah, you've gotta call. You're good 1 time in 12.

-Brian