Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Tilting while on a rush.

I had the most amazing rush today. 150BB in about 1200 hands - seemed like I could do no wrong. Even got my first TWO(!) royal flushes.

I'm not one to tilt when I'm behind. But today while I was on the rush, I found myself making some loose calls/raises, and probably going too far with some hands, only to get lucky with them most of the time.

Anyone else experience something like this? Can it be a good thing? People see you dragging so many pots, mabye you win some extra pots uncontested - even when you shouldn't.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Tilting while on a rush.

i've gone through this, and its led to some downswings for me as well. once the luck runs out then the downswing starts, and your left wondering what your doing wrong. atleast thats how it always is for me. in the future i'm planning on limiting my table time per day to reduce this effect. i might be leaving money at the table by doing this though. just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:21 PM

listen to bigmac, he knows how to lose money
Old 01-07-2005, 08:55 PM

sir, i apologize that one of 2+2s few trolls decided to pollute your thread with attacks on me, he is truly a pathetic excuse for a man.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:03 AM

poor baby
Old 01-08-2005, 01:54 AM

I do this as well. You drag 3-4 big pots in a row and look down to see 10-Jo UTG and figure what the hell, I'm on a rush. Personally, I don't see a big harm in this provided you QUICKLY realize when the rush is over. I've won over 100BB only to spew 1/2 of it before realizing I had unconsciously lowered my starting requirements to any two soooted. It's important to know when this is happeing and do whatever it takes to stop tilting.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:48 PM

just remember it's wrong to say you are ON a rush, you can only ever say that you HAVE BEEN on a rush. while being ON a rush might be something your opponents THINK about you, it's never really true, as future cards are completely independent of past ones.

if you play badly when winning, then you have a leak, plain and simple. either plug the leak or lose the cash, plain and simple.

al
Old 01-08-2005, 01:59 PM

Tilt is any state of mind that makes you play worse than your A game. An EV- decision is always an EV- decision, regardless of your previous "luck". If something, winning a pot knowing you made a bad decision should be incentive enough to get a grip of your play.

There is always the aspect of having a psychological advantage, especially in no-limit, but it's marginal.

*there are no patterns!*
Old 01-08-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else experience something like this? Can it be a good thing? People see you dragging so many pots, mabye you win some extra pots uncontested - even when you shouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know that it's a good thing, but it's certainly true that you get hurt less than you would when tilting after losing money. People ARE more likely to respect you when you've just scooped in a bunch of pots with monster hands, and I see no problem with loosening up a bit and upping your flop aggression a notch.

But just a bit. And just a notch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-08-2005, 10:19 PM

Congrats on your good fortune! You and I seem to be on similar paths, and I know we have talked before about a few different subjects. I have thought about posting on this same subject myself, as I have had similar experiences. I think some of the above posters have said it well. Any time you change your game based on your emotions whether good or bad you are on tilt, and its not a place you want to be. Its very hard not to be results oriented in this game, but I try to constantly be process oriented. This keeps me focused, but there will always be times when you lose focus. Recognizing when you have changed your play is a good sign, going back to disciplined play is more of a challange. Good luck,Those big run ups sure are fun.