Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Shame on the Eagles

Don't blame the Eagles. Blame the NFL. MLB would never allow this.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:06 AM

Oh boy... You make a statement about your beliefs on this forum nowadays and all of a sudden you are attacked personally. I present my feelings in this matter without telling anyone else who they cheer for or why they are mad. I understand not everyone agrees with me, but please don't tell me what I do and do not know.

That said, I am still bitter about TO. I try not to let that influence my feelings. I was upset to see him go down because I know what injuries are like and he's a great player who has matured a lot this year.

Also understand that I know WHY the Eagles are resting thier players. I've played on three national championship football teams, so I know how these decisions are made. The difference is that the NFL is a business and should be run as such.

Every season the NFL sends out a memo to teams that they are required to try and win all thier games. This memo is ignored and not inforced. The point is that fans pay a lot of money to go see game. This is a league that profits from selling its superstars and when they are sat because games are "meaningless", every fan gets sold out. I know philly fans just want to see them in the Super Bowl and this might improve thier chances, but there are fans in St. Louis who wanted to see Donavan McNabb try and throw some bombs. Instead they got a pathetic effort from the Eagles.

The other side of this argument, and one that many analysts and coaches will agree with me on is the fact that playoff wins are a lot about momentum. Resting your players for a few games might save you some injuries, but the momentum you lose will often be a greater detriment to your team's success the loss of one or two players.

I realize that many people agree with the Eagles' stategy. I do not. Whether you agree with the Eagles' stagegy or not, you have to conceed that they turned what should have been an entertaining, competitive game into a mockery of the competetive spirit that the NFL stands for.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a much much lower chance for injury in MLB. The nature of the game makes this a non issue there for all intents and purposes.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also understand that I know WHY the Eagles are resting thier players. I've played on three national championship football teams, so I know how these decisions are made. The difference is that the NFL is a business and should be run as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

You understand? In college you have to win every game ... there is no resting up.

Unless ... you didn't pay D1 and you had playoffs.

Anyway, that must be the case, because I don't remember any D1 team winning 3 out of 4 (or 5 or 6 if you red shirted, plus another for medical redshirt).
Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM

I play in Canada. We have playoffs.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there are fans in St. Louis who wanted to see Donavan McNabb try and throw some bombs.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are undoubtedly a lot more fans in St. Louis who want to see their team make the playoffs. Also, if anyone in the world outside of Philadelphia (where it's been reported for days that no one would be playing in this game) thought they'd see a 'real' football game, they were only kidding themselves. Even without the T.O. injury, McNabb and company would have only played a half, if that.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every season the NFL sends out a memo to teams that they are required to try and win all thier games. This memo is ignored and not inforced. The point is that fans pay a lot of money to go see game. This is a league that profits from selling its superstars and when they are sat because games are "meaningless", every fan gets sold out. I know philly fans just want to see them in the Super Bowl and this might improve thier chances, but there are fans in St. Louis who wanted to see Donavan McNabb try and throw some bombs. Instead they got a pathetic effort from the Eagles.

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL "sells" its fans out every year. Most, if not all, teams require people to purchase exhibition tickets with a season ticket package.

If that is not total bullsh!t, I don't know what is. So, its not like the Eagles are tarnishing the NFL's sterling policy of ensuring the fans a meaningful game. I look at more like the Browns v. Dolphins game on Sunday night: When the schedule was made, ESPN probably thought they would have a good game. Instead the teams took a dump and the matchup was terrible. I'm sure no memo went out to the Browns and Dolphins telling them they better play their asses off ... or else.

Anyhow, that is the breaks ... happens in every sport, every year. You can't tell me with a straight face that you were surprised the Eagles were resting their starters: The media had been mentioning it all week.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 AM

Every league has stupid policies. The NFL, despite not being perfect, is far and away the best run pro sports league in the world.

And no, I'm not suprised that the Eagles rested thier starters, just disapointed. I just hope Indy doesn't do the same, because I need Denver to lose.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he's a great player who has matured a lot this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. I wonder what you consider immature. My 3 year old acts more mature.

[ QUOTE ]
The difference is that the NFL is a business and should be run as such.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd argue this is exactly what they did. Playing the starters would be the opposite. The team will profit more in the long run if they get to the SuperBowl or at least deep in the playoffs. And their fans will get more enjoyment.

[ QUOTE ]
but there are fans in St. Louis who wanted to see Donavan McNabb try and throw some bombs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really?

[ QUOTE ]
Whether you agree with the Eagles' stagegy or not, you have to conceed that they turned what should have been an entertaining, competitive game into a mockery of the competetive spirit that the NFL stands for.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. I think we can all concede that.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]blame the NFL for what? Not forcing a team to play certain players?