Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 06:48 AM

Default Pocket aces Dilema

Party Poker NL $25 6 man max table $0.25/$0.50 blinds.

seat 1: Button (hero) $73.54
seat 2: Big Blind $59.03

I pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. The BB limps in and I make it $3.00 to go. He calls.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

The BB checks and I bet $5.00. BB calls

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet $18.00, BB moves all-in for $33.00

This is where my dilema comes in. I either have him beat and he's just making a bluff attempt. He cought his flush. or he's got two pair.

I call the $33.00

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

giving me the nut flush and the win.
he had 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Do you think the play I made was good or just downright stupid?
Old 12-27-2004, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Pocket aces Dilema

Don't include the results. All it does is make me tell you that you should check the turn since you're more likely to benefit from a free card than your opponent. In reality though I'd probably bet, and what to do after that depends on your opponent. You'd need to be very sure you're beaten though to fold; the pot is already large and you have a draw to the nuts.

I'm also a bit confused, are you playing heads up against this guy? If so, the raise preflop seems a bit excessive. It also makes me more likely to think I'm still ahead when he pushes on the turn since he can't figure you for a premium hand.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:36 PM

I like the raise PF, that's pretty standard. The bet on the turn is also the right play in my mind, and the call. The only thing I would have done differently is I always bet the pot rounded up to the nearest dollar on the flop. That way I can protect hands I PF raise with that don't hit like AK and AQ.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:42 PM

i think you have to put him on the flush draw given his play after the flop. u could put him on on A10 maybe... but i'd probably put him on a flush draw, and when the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] came on the turn, i'd know i was beat.

u got lucky and won.. but he deserves it for calling the large PF raise w/ a bad hand.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:34 PM

when there is a suited connector on the board and I have clearly defined my hand preflop, I always overbet the pot on the flop. even holding a set of tens i overbet here.

On the turn you know you're behind but you know you have to call. on a drawless board is where it gets ugly, cos then you've most likely got two outs.

Also, had you held his hand on the flop, you'd have checkraised all-in on the flop, right?

fim