Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Hello from a newby

This is my first post but I have been lurking here for a couple weeks. I am a newer player and as such I may make a totally dumb and rediculous post from time to time (my appologies in advance).

I am looking for advice on how to best develop my game. I have read most of "Hold 'em Poker" and the NL chapter of Super Systems (most of it has not totally sunk in yet...alot of info in a short period of time). I made a $50 deposit at a lesser known poker site and ran it up to over $500 in a couple days (so I started thinking that I might know what I am doing) then I went to Party Poker and lost $150 in less than a day. Now I realize that I know just enough to be confident in my losing hands.

Currently my only interest is in tournament poker so any advice as to books, software, videos etc. that could be beneficial would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Hello from a newby

I realize that you are only interested in tourney play. I personally think a good fundamental understanding of limit HE is important. Plus you can work off some nice bonuses to while improving your play. I think the following books are great for beginners:

Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones - very basic but a good foundation builder

TOP - Theory of Poker

HEFAP - Holdem for Advanced Players

Once you read and understand these books you can start on more game specific books about NL , Tourney Play, ect. ect.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:56 PM

Read Aleo's guide to beating Party Poker $10+1 SNG's (it can be found in the faq at the top of this forum). Play 100+ $10+$1 sit and go's. Post one hand from every tournament that you find interesting on here. Also post the hand that you went out on from each tournament. Play in as many multi-table tournaments as you can and post 3 interesting hands from each in the MTT forum. Think, Think, Think!

Best of luck,

Zephyr
Old 12-20-2004, 02:01 PM

Zephyr, why the recommendation to play as many MTT's as you can? I've played a few hundred SNGs, and not one MTT.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:03 PM

Have you gotten that beating Party Poker book yet that someone's been advertising in the pop-up box? Just kidding - DO NOT buy that.

Seriously, Zephyr's adive is excellent, and I would ad that you should go back and read every thread on 2+2 that interests you. There is a lot of fantastic free info here, and the debates in the threads will really get you thinking about your game. Good Luck!
Old 12-20-2004, 06:17 PM

While tournament poker is a decidedly different game from cash game poker, it is essential that you have a thorough background in the basics of normal cash poker in order to be successful at any form. I highly recommend picking up The Theory of Poker and Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players from Two Plus Two Publishing before you decide to specialize in tournament poker. Note that these are great just for a start; there are literally dozens of great books on poker out there that you should be checking out (the other sections of Super System, The Psychology of Poker, etc). Never stop learning.

On the topic of multi-table tournament poker specifically, I've always been partial to T.J. Cloutier's Championship NL and PL Hold' em. Beware though, its strategy will make you a lot tighter than many players would suggest as optimum tournament strategy. Tournament Poker for Advanced Players is also a great read with some good general information, but I find that it is mostly suited to limit play.

If you plan to play single table tournaments exclusively, there really isn't any book available yet that will be nearly as helpful as the 2+2 forum. There is a unique strategy for STT's, and it's been discussed in depth on this forum for quite a while. Read Aleomagus's guide first, it's a great starting point for STT poker.

On the topic, let me take this opportunity to thank the 2+2 posters. I've been a successful SNG player for months, with a healthy ROI through 1,200 tournaments. I give this forum a lot of credit for my success, and I'm thankful to all of you for your generous teaching. I hope the forum continues to be such a great resource for players of all levels, and I'll try to add whatever I can.

Regards,
Steve
Old 12-20-2004, 07:25 PM

Simply re-read S/S NL once a week.
I gloss the chapter for 20 minutes, then i spend 20 minutes with a pen and paper on one specific page in that chapter, different concept each week. Then spend 20 minutes THINKING about what you just read, and how you can apply this for profit in your regular game.

One hour, once a week.