Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Re: $1k SNG Hand - Opinions?

assron,

Not a bad idea, but the goal here is to get the villian to fold preflop. I would say that 8 of 10 times he'd fold here. But not AK. =)

Nick
Old 12-19-2004, 10:23 PM

well if you want the fold, the push is a no-brainer.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:34 PM

What hands do you really want to fold preflop here? AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, and KQ? He's very unlikely to fold anything in this list except KQ perhaps. Any other hands you would want to call you. Because he's raised the last 3 pots, it's not too likely he has one of these big hands. It's a sng here (although they're rare...being a $1000 buy-in on stars). I think folding here is playing scared (above the psychological bankroll, I'm pretty sure you're bankrolled financially). Getting all the money in the pot seems like the best play here. As for getting him to fold preflop...I doubt he will fold any hands that you want him to fold preflop.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:07 PM

rjb,

No, I do not want a call, even from a hand that I am probably slightly ahead of. I want those 675 chips in the pot, that's it. I do not want a showdown. I dont want AT to call me. I dont want 9T to call me. I want those chips, which gives me a good bit of time to wait out the smaller stack, which I did not have at that time.

Nick
Old 12-19-2004, 11:19 PM

You definitely want a call from T9. That's a pretty juicy overlay and gives you a big chance of higher placings.

AT though, I agree you would prefer a fold.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:57 PM

Anyone know the odds of NOT having an AKQ on the flop? i.e. overcards for your jack?

Actually, I would rather know the stats of not having AKQJ on the flop with you having JJ... As I know I would be happy with an AJ2 flop...

Never thought of this myself...
Old 12-19-2004, 11:59 PM

well, pushing and stop and go works well with jacks. a lot of times i like to push, just to get the other guy out wiht a marginal hand because i dont want a tricky situation. in this specific sng, if the raiser had done that to the last 3 hands, i would definitely push. any other situation, it would be 50/50 stop and go vs push.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:04 AM

Someone clarify for me here, what does anyone who suggests the stop and go here mean?

He's on the button, so Villain is going to be first to act on the flop. The stop and go that I know of insists on you being first to act.

citanul

oh, and it's an easy push, imo.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:41 AM

Stop and go doesn't work well with JJ, I mean, let's say an A, K, or Q flops, he would likely bet at it no matter what he holds, now what? Plus stop-n-go won't make sense, b/c he's on button. I think allin is a must, get him to fold most hands. I guess iwth AK, or AQ he'll probably call, and you have to deal with a coinflip.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:22 AM

hey, I'm a lowly $55 player, but for what it's worth....

Big stack is clearly stealing often, so you have maybe a 50-60% chance he will fold, and are ahead of maybe 75% of the hands he would call with (which quite a few givin he is gitting decent odds to call with reasonable hands) The blinds are reletively small still, but I don't see passing up this chance to preserve a 500 chip lead over the shortstack.

If my thinking is all wrong, that's probably why I'm playing $55's. If it's perfect, a guess I'm just a pussy.

Steve

edit-just reread the oringinal post. I though you had 1500 chips, making it about 1000 to go. It would actually be about 1700 to go, so you should get the fold 75% plus, be ahead or even on 50%+ of his calls, still a push