Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Won big, but now it\'s going bad. Boo hoo hoo.

If you are such a beginner, then how do you know if the other players are bad? Really, many post on how bad players are but then, what do they base there allegations on? I just don't think that a new player would be capable of recognizing a good player (a good player would not want this be known)

It's also possible that you are not as good as you think you are and just had a good run of cards. I'm not saying that this is the case, just saying that it is possible.

But since you did win a tourney, you are probably a decent player. There is a big difference between ring and tourney games. You just might be best at tourneys.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:56 PM

If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone in terms of swings or feeling.

I too built up my bankroll from playing smaller stakes. I have done well overall at .5/1 and 1/2 games and recently have moved up to 2/4 and some shots at 3/6. Needless to say its a rollercoaster.

I had a really good run of about 130BB at 2/4 the last week or so, and now in the course of a few days have lost almost all that back.

The worst part is the constant bad beats back to back to back. That to me is the most frustrating part of it all. When you know you can beat the game, and you just aren't.

It might help you mentally to drop back to .25/50 until you win a little back, I know dropping back helps me mentally, but I have heard alot of people say that is not what you should do. I am trying my hardest to stay at 2/4 right now even though everytime I sit down and take a bad beat I start to worry that another really bad session is coming.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:08 AM

Prod1gy: I absolutely absolutely think you should move down. It takes time to adjust to new limits (especially adjusting mentally, I had an extremely difficult time with this when I was moving up) and while you are mentally adjusting, playing is difficult. You are worried/scared because you play about so much money, and you probably are making mistakes because of it.

Some people don't play scared when moving up. I think they are alot better off because of this, I sure wish I had played good from the start when moving up. But if you do worry about the next bad beat coming beacuse the money means so much more to you than usual, I think the best way to handle this is moving up gradually. Play 1/2 and when you feel good about yourself try some 2/4 out. Then eventually try som more 2/4 out. And some more.

Experience, confidence and a sizeable bankroll are extremely important things. You can find all three of them at 1/2.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW - I think most winning players around here have VPIP of 20 or less. This will depend on how passive your table is, of course. But it's a rough guideline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like every day I read about people recommending higher and higher VPIP's. VPIP's of 20% at ten-handed seem to be considered "way tight" now. If higher-VPIP players can play those hands well enough and know when to get away from them, that's great, but less-experienced players are probably giving up too many chips unless the table is very passive.
Used to be the normal recommendation around here was to not see more than 18-20% of the flops. As time has gone on, that's been changed to 20+% VPIP, which is 22-23+% of the flops.

My opinion is if your VPIP is above 25% at this limit and your level of expertise, then you are too loose. Learn to play tight and then loosen up from there as experience teaches you when loosening up is correct. It's a lot harder to play too tight than it is to play too loose.

If you have doubts, don't be afraid to drop down in limits, but I'd say most levels of microlimits are pretty much the same. Some tables and times will be crazy loose, and other tables and times will play like a limit that has the decimal point moved a spot to the right. I wouldn't move down unless your playing bankroll is a factor, whether due to the actual money, or just psychologically from the swings.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:05 AM

100 BB downswings happen. My best advice is to try to make sure you're playing correctly, that the downswing is primarily bad luck. Slow down, and instead of playing as much as you can, take a little bit of time to carefully review your bad results, using PT. If you feel you've played these okay, you'll feel a lot better. Usually, you'll realize that you've fallen into some bad habit, e.g., going too far, and this will give you the opportunity to correct it.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it this way... Let's say you are at a table with 9 terrible players. Even if your true win rate is the ludicrously high 9BB/100, each opponent is only losing an average of 1BB/100 due to their bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the rake which at 0.25/0.50 probably takes close to 100 BB/100 hands off the table.

Paul
Old 12-14-2004, 03:58 PM

Hey Burno. 1200 hands / 80 min?

Is this BULL [censored] ?

Who told you that? How many tables at once? Wow, Im way behind. Im heading out tomorrow and buying a projector screen TV so I can have a wall full o tables.. Oh, better buy a bucket to piss in, an IV drip, and some crank so I can handle the stimuli.

Seriously, Burno, how is this possible ?