Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 03:16 PM

Default How to prepare for tournament?

While passing thru Chicago 6 weeks ago, stopped in Harrah's, heard that seats available in $40 10 player satellite, won! So tomorrow I fly to Chicago to play in a Sunday 60 player NLHE tourny made up of all the other winners - 1st is WSOP entry & $3,000. Four other places pay - don't know what.

This is my 3rd live tourny - lost one in CA 6 months ago, and the satellite was number 2! Only played the game for 1 year - lots of $3 & $5 MTT and $5 & $10 Sit n Go's on-line, won 1 550+ player MTT in June for more than $850. I'm up about $50 (I know, big bucks) for the 14 months since my very first deposits - most of my losses came in micro-size ring play or not winning massive MTT tournaments in the first 3 - 6 months.

From all you veterans - what do I need to know before Sunday's starting gun? And then how do I decide on an appropriate strategy? If $1000 chips and $10-20 blinds, I'm pretty sure $2500 and $10-20 is different, so how do I decide on appropriate play? I'll try and study other players, hopefully not tilt, WILL NOT WEAR UNIBOMBER SWEATER, etc. As you probably know, I'll be excited and nervous. You help would be appreciated - maybe wish me luck as well!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: How to prepare for tournament?

Anybody with anything?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:40 PM

Defintely good luck.....congrats on winning the satellite. Sounds like you know the game OK...just remember to be patient, and don't be afraid to get all of your chips into the pot when you think you've got the best of it. With it paying only 4 spots, you need to be agressive with your good hands and even good draws. Don't be afraid to play a little looser in the beginning when the blinds are so low, to see if you can flop a monster. Good luck.....

Aceragclubs
Old 12-10-2004, 07:25 PM

read eMarkM's post on this thread

link