Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Maniac pumping the pot?

Situation is Me in big blind with J9 spades. Aggressive player UTG who bets with nothing raises, 5 callers, I call (pot:7 big bets)

Flop As, blank, 10s
Action is check, I bet, Maniac raises, all fold except Player 3, I call (pot 10 big bets)

Turn is spade - I bet with flush, Maniac calls, Player 3 raises
I think Player 3 has flush, but perhaps smaller - so I'll call and look for showdown for 1 more bet. Maniac also calls. (pot 16 big bets)

River is blank - I check, Maniac checks, Player 3 bets, I call
Maniac check-raises! Player 3 re-raises - (pot 21 big bets) Given pot size I call, but with horror watch Maniac cap! I call
All three hands are shown - Player 3 shows Ks2s for flush, I have J-high flush, Maniac proudly displays his Ace-6!
With huge pot I thought it correct to play on, but never anticipated the insanity of Maniac to drive pot to 4 bets with only a pair. Are there ways I could have played the hand differently to limit the loss on the hand other than folding a still potential winner with a huge pot? With the huge pot, would folding have been a terrible mistake?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Maniac pumping the pot?

You've got maniac sitting to your immediate left, and you BET this flop?

Bad bad bad bad bad.

Checkraise this flop every day of the week, and twice on Tuesdays. I'd probably toss another bet in on the turn (i.e. I'd 3-bet the turn and call a cap).

Rob
Old 12-02-2004, 02:20 AM

Yeah check/raise the flop dude.

Okay Hero has a flush and there is a maniac in the hand. I would take every street to a cap. The other guy knows there is a maniac in the hand, and he might just be raising light to get it heads up between him and the maniac with loads of dead money in the pot. I would live and die with my flush here.

Brad
Old 12-02-2004, 06:51 AM

I get the final pot at 28 BB (not 21 as you wrote), you put in 8 of that and so you can see that even winning just 1/3 of these kind of shootouts is going to be +EV for you.

And Player 3 with K2s cold calling a raise here doesn't exactly look like a future WSOP winner, either.

No need to look to save bets with players like these and a hand like this, feel free to put even more in.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And Player 3 with K2s cold calling a raise here doesn't exactly look like a future WSOP winner, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not that terrible a play, is it?
There are 8.5BBs in the pot giving him 4.25:1 to call and he has 9 potential outs to the nuts which you need 4.1:1 to call.
Folding is bad, raising from his position to isolate the maniac might not be bad but I still think a call was best for him.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not that terrible a play, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant pre-flop entering a raised pot with K2s. Even as button or SB with a lot of limpers in front that's a loose call to me and I usually throw those away in a maniac game because you can make a 2nd best hand with that way too often and since every street could be capped that can be a particularly expensive proposition.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:47 AM

yeah, the 21 wasn't the final pot - that was when I had to decide to continue, even now expecting it to be capped.