Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 04:51 AM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)
Default Question about Small Stakes Turn Check Raises

As I posted earlier, I have been running sideways for the past 4-6 weeks. As I have reviewed hands, counted errors and taken notes, I have noticed that I am paying off an inordiante amount of check raises heads up.

A hand like TPTK, preflop raise, top pair comes, I bet, get one caller, the turn is a card that makes a hand but not an obvious one (inside straight, etc.), or pairs the board with a low card, I bet, the check raise comes, I call it and call the river bet.

This is happening a lot and I would guess that 85-90% of the time, I am staring at a legitimate hand that can beat TPTK.

I know that this is very general and should be player dependant, but should I fold to a CR on any tight passives or loose passives and call down Tight Aggressives and Loose Aggressives?

I counted errors in a recent -46 big bet session and proper value betting, and not calling down turn check raises would have made up about 30 of the 46 big bets, so I am wondering if it is time to start laying the hands down?

Thanks,
Kevin

(I really, really apologize if the last 3 posts have come off in a whiney tone. I promise that they aren't. I am really trying to find out where in the world my game has gone and am looking for some helpful feedback that can help take care of some leaks that I might have uncovered)
Old 11-28-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Question about Small Stakes Turn Check Raises

I am having a similar problem. I just feel too weak to fold these hands but it seems that if someone raises turn they would beat TPTK. Is this usually an obvious fold??
Old 11-28-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Question about Small Stakes Turn Check Raises

In general you should fold to turn check/raises unless...
A) The pot is big enough to warrent a call down.
B) The player is agressive and is just trying to move you off a hand.
C) You think the player made 2-pair, and want to see if the river improves you to at least 2-pair (and you have odds to do so). If it doesn't then fold on 5th street.
D) A scary card hits the turn and you feel like the villian is taking a shot.

When a passive c/r's you on the turn, you are almost always toast with just TPTK. Calling down every turn c/r is significantly -EV IMO.

Shill