Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Microlimit table selection?

In other words, how do you select your table? So far, i've just picked some random table and observed the play as the BB got around to me. But this is kinda hit and miss. Sometimes the fish are there, sometimes they aren't. Is there a more systematic way? I have PT, but i'm not sure how it can per se _help_ me find that juicy table. Once i'm there, it helps identify who i should be respecting, after a few orbits of course.

-Alpha
Old 11-17-2004, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Microlimit table selection?

At the lowest limits most tables are fishy enough to be profitable. Just make sure there's decent average pot size and 4+ players seeing almost every flop. If you discover the table you're on frequently folds to the blinds or just has just one caller leave. I also leave if a table is full of tricky players.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:30 AM

I like to see 4+ players to the flop and 3+ players to the later streets. I also check the notes I have (I generally have notes for about 1/3 of the people at most .5/1 tables). I need to see more Lxx than Txx (although if there is only 1 tight player, I'll stay if my first criteria is met.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:36 AM

I agree with the previous two posters, but would add that it's not worth much time perusing the tables. There's so much turn-over, things could change in a heart-beat. While relieving fishes of their money is fun, it's also beneficial to hone your skills against a few solid players.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:45 AM

Pokerstars has some nice stats on tables. On say party I just look at average pot size, you know you're at a tight table within a couple of orbits and in that situation I'll just leave and find another pond to fish in.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:55 AM

Keep in mind that large average pot sizes are magnets for better players. If, after player 50 or 100 hands, you notice that the table has tightened up considerably, consider switching again.

Freakin
Old 11-17-2004, 09:05 AM

I rank the tables by average pot and join the tables with avg pot of $10 or $11 (at .50/1).

On average, I'd say that I stay at a single table for 15-20 minutes before it either empties out or tightens up.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:25 AM

Put your favorite fish on the buddy list and do a search for them. A lot of times I'll spot one of my favorites playing at a table with $7 or $8 average pot size (in .50/1) and no wait list. I can get right on and if there are one or two other weak players there, or some join right after, pretty soon we might start seeing average pots up at $11 or $12 and NOW everyone sees this table at the top of the list for pot size.

Of course, by the time those new players can get to the table the weakest players may already be busted or so low on chips that they can't even afford to make half as many bad plays as they were earlier.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:12 AM

I select a table by whether it has an open seat. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pot size doesn't matter as much to me as it does to a lot of others here. When I see a table with 9 players and an average 7-8 dollar pot, it means the players are passive and should be raising (and folding) more. It's a perfect opportunity to shake up the table with aggressive play; I don't have any difficulty pushing the pots up to 10-12 dollars. Another thing I watch for is to see how many players cold call raises, the more cold callers the better.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM

yeah, I do a search for my favorite fish, too, but I don't have a long list (yet). Only about 6, and usually none of them are online.