Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 04:36 AM

Default in stride N/M

Old 11-07-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: please explain how people handle mutliple bad beats

"SAME DAMN FISH!!!!!!! Thats what makes me the maddest, it always seems like the same guy who everyone else is killing sucks out on me and then spreads my money around the table."

1) If you truly played the hand optimally, the "SAME DAMN FISH", didn't beat you - the cards did.
2) If you didn't play optimally - learn.
3) The statements I quoted above should tell you that you are getting your ego involved in situations it doesn't belong.
4) Don't think of opponents as "Fish", all players are a bundle of playing characteristics that have to be factored in to your play. Name calling, even if internal, doesn't help this process. It merely strokes your ego (bruised).
Old 11-07-2004, 09:58 AM

I try to think about some hands where I was behind but had implied odds to stay in, and won. Middle pair + backdoor flush draw that came in, for instance. Remembering being called a chaser always makes me laugh.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:02 AM

The guy I went to vegas w/this past weekend was like the king of bad beat fish. He thinks he is great at holdem too. He would get up like $200 at the 2/4 table w/all these lucky flops. People would be muttering about how lucky he is. I just said, "watch and wait". Sure enough after about 2 more hours he was back to even and guess what?? TIME TO QUIT!! haha. Long haul will get those guys.
Accident [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Several people have suggested that PoP has been helpful ...

Old 11-07-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just had several bad beats happen and want to scream...are there techniques people use to handle these things...I'm sorry but after my aces get thumped by 62 and my queens get hit my j6...I'm heading towards tilt...how do you deal with these things

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is my barometer: I try to maintain a positive attitude about it. When my aces get cracked by unsuited crap, or a rivered set (calling with 66 the whole way), I say "awesome." I take a sort of perverse pleasure in taking bad beats. When I can no longer say awesome and find it ammusing, I know it's time to leave b/c I'm in no emotional state to play. It's hard to get up when you have had your ass handed to you by the fish -- you want to stay and get your money back. You have to have the discipline to get up and walk away.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Multi-tabling is my best advice to avoid heavy varience, because you'll often get killed at one table but win at your other 2 or 3 and be positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real secret to crushing these games of course, is to leave the table you're being killed at and just play the profitable ones.

--
Peter
Old 11-07-2004, 03:46 PM

When people play 62o and J6o at a table, I say to myself, where do I sign up?
Old 11-07-2004, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Multi-tabling is my best advice to avoid heavy varience, because you'll often get killed at one table but win at your other 2 or 3 and be positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real secret to crushing these games of course, is to leave the table you're being killed at and just play the profitable ones.

--
Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

NO - how much you're up/down should have no bearing whatsoever on your decision to stay at a table or not.

I use the PT gametime window to keep a running update of the VPIP of each opp. After about 50 hands or so, I've got a good enough take on the texture of the table to decide if I want to stay or not.

I don't care if I'm down 50BB - if there's 4+ players with VPIP +40 - I'm not going anywhere...
Old 11-07-2004, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When people play 62o and J6o at a table, I say to myself, where do I sign up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Where would you be if these "fish" never won. You'd be sitting at a table playing heads up against a guy that is surely better than you. How profitable would that be ??

Get over yourself. Would it be better to have your big cards always win for you and your draws to never win ?? Who really cares what wins for you on any given day as long as at the end of the day you are positive.

I could never understand why people got so worked up when they lost, JUST because they had the best starting hand (and then overplayed it of course).

If you haven't realized that these are the guys that you make your money off of, then you still have a long way to go.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] busguy