Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 05:12 PM

Default TWO COMPUTERS ONE CABLE MODEM

Hi All, Can i hook one computer to the modem using the USB cable and the second computer using the network cable.Or is there just no way around using a router.

THX: R Loftin
Old 11-01-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: TWO COMPUTERS ONE CABLE MOTEM

well there is a way, but if you spell modem "motem" then I'm gonna go ahead and say get a router. You can use Windows ICS though.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: TWO COMPUTERS ONE CABLE MOTEM

You need a router...sorry dude
Old 11-01-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: TWO COMPUTERS ONE CABLE MODEM

You can daisy-chain your computers, but it's not really worth it. I'd just buy a router. They're practically free these days online.

-2kF
Old 11-01-2004, 05:53 PM

Windows XP has an internet connection sharing thingie. There is a wizard to help you set it up. You will also have to set up the connection between the two machines. Go to control panel/settings/network connections and you'll see the wizards and you can get help. I've never set up connection sharing on Windows, so I can't vouch for how easy it is or how well it works. I've connected windows machines with the network connection wizard and it was a pain in the buttocks (I don't remember why).

A better solution is to get a cheap, smart router that has a good firewall. I use the Linksys WRT55G, which also has wireless networking and costs something like US$60. I think Linksys has the same thing w/o wireless for a little less. I really think a firewall is a good thing if you play poker on line.

BTW: I'm not a Windows guy, I do most of my work on Unix systems and only use windows to play poker. I'm not giving you expert advice--this means you need better help than me to do this!!

Last Word: If you're doing this so you can play on both machines on the same poker site, forget it. Even they are smarter than that.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:50 PM

Yes, or at least, it worked for me. One computer was already plugged in via the USB port. I plugged in the second one (which had previously been configured for a college dorm network) and it worked just fine.

Bob
Old 11-01-2004, 09:46 PM

Just buy a Linksys router. Done!
Old 11-01-2004, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, or at least, it worked for me. One computer was already plugged in via the USB port. I plugged in the second one (which had previously been configured for a college dorm network) and it worked just fine.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad idea.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Your modem was probably configured to allow multiple users/computers. Home cable modems are only configured for one user, unless you pay extra. A firewall router is the way to go.