Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 11:42 PM

Default Re: why do u never hear about some book authors winning anything?

[ QUOTE ]
Specifically, i'm talking about the likes of Mcevoy, Caro, Vorhaus, silbenstang. They ahve tons of books out, yet i have never heard any of their names amongst big tournament finishes over the last 5-6 years, and i don't hear about them being in any huge ring games either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not really interested or qualified to debate the issue you raise, but I'd like to point out that Tom McEvoy was the 1983 WSOP main event champion and has won 4 bracelets overall, so even if you believe that an author who hasn't won anything shouldn't be trusted, you can take him off of your list.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:50 AM

Greg Raymer won the 5 million dollar event - would you buy a book from him? If his terrible play at the Table of Champions didn't prove the theory that really great things can happen to really bad players, I don't know what would.

I don't recall ever seeing Roy Cooke's name anywhere in tournament play, but the guy is a damned good writer, and a winning ring game player.

What about Ed Miller? His name doesn't seem to pop up in tournament play, but I've yet to hear anyone who has something bad to say about his book.

Then there's Phil Helmuth, a winning tournament player but his book - for the most part - is a total waste of ink and paper.

TJ (and McEvoy) have won their fair share, but I am not all that impressed with their books, either.

Say what you will about Vorhaus, Sklansky, Malmuth, etc. Just because they don't win big tournaments does not lessen their abilities to convey winning poker strategies.

Bug
Old 10-31-2004, 10:04 AM

sklansky and malm are well known to be hi ring game players.

And their books are very good....i never questioned their pedigree.

Mcevoy did win the big one way back, and has played hundreds and hundreds of tourneys since. I would expect him to have a couple of bracelets, just by the sheer number of tourneys he has played, but lately i don't hear his name often. He is a nice guy, and a well respected columnist, but all im saying is he has not lately been playing up to the levels i would expect for someone of his reputation.

maybe i'll bump into some of these guys next week at foxwoods, and i'll ask them about this.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Greg Raymer won the 5 million dollar event - would you buy a book from him? If his terrible play at the Table of Champions didn't prove the theory that really great things can happen to really bad players, I don't know what would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you pm him, he might be interested in taking some lessons from you.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:51 AM

That came out worse than it was meant and I am sure Greg Raymer will come across it in his own time. Why don't you PM him and tell him about my terrible "crime" and we can speed up the process?

My point is that you can do many wrong things in a tournament and have a positive result. That does not mean you are capable of writing a book. In Raymer's case - and I think even he would admit to this - he won more than his fair share of 50/50 confrontations on his way to the title. I did not mean to single HIM out as a terrible player. While I thought he played well and conducted himself with a great deal of class in the five million dollar event, he was also getting great cards.

However, having watched the Table of Champions Tournament last night, I was totally disappointed in much of his play. I expected more from him, and expectations are what people have to live up to when they are placed under the microscope of televised play and celebrity status. And I can only judge his play from what I have seen on television, but he has yet to show me he has the capability of laying down a mediocre pre-flop hand when the signals suggest that maybe he should save his chips for another confrontation. As an example, on one hand, Helmuth raised pre-flop with an A9 suited, Raymer went all-in with a KQ off suit, (which I didn't think was terrible play) and Helmuth let his hand go. I am not so sure (based on Mr. Raymer's confrontations with Annie Duke) that if you reversed the situation, Greg Raymer would have done what Helmuth did. Of course, I have a very small sample size.

Bug
Old 10-31-2004, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That came out worse than it was meant and I am sure Greg Raymer will come across it in his own time. Why don't you PM him and tell him about my terrible "crime" and we can speed up the process?

My point is that you can do many wrong things in a tournament and have a positive result. That does not mean you are capable of writing a book. In Raymer's case - and I think even he would admit to this - he won more than his fair share of 50/50 confrontations on his way to the title. I did not mean to single HIM out as a terrible player. While I thought he played well and conducted himself with a great deal of class in the five million dollar event, he was also getting great cards.

However, having watched the Table of Champions Tournament last night, I was totally disappointed in much of his play. I expected more from him, and expectations are what people have to live up to when they are placed under the microscope of televised play and celebrity status. And I can only judge his play from what I have seen on television, but he has yet to show me he has the capability of laying down a mediocre pre-flop hand when the signals suggest that maybe he should save his chips for another confrontation. As an example, on one hand, Helmuth raised pre-flop with an A9 suited, Raymer went all-in with a KQ off suit, (which I didn't think was terrible play) and Helmuth let his hand go. I am not so sure (based on Mr. Raymer's confrontations with Annie Duke) that if you reversed the situation, Greg Raymer would have done what Helmuth did. Of course, I have a very small sample size.

Bug

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that the TOC was a winner take all competition, so the typical tournament strategies do not apply. Greg made those decisions based on pot odds which is the correct thing to do in this case.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not so sure (based on Mr. Raymer's confrontations with Annie Duke) that if you reversed the situation, Greg Raymer would have done what Helmuth did.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean lay down the best hand getting a pretty good price fromt he pot? Maybe not, I guess that why he will never be as good as Phil.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greg Raymer won the 5 million dollar event - would you buy a book from him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yeah.

Can't believe I would ever read such a dumb question on a 2+2 forum. Perhaps you should post on the tourney forum and improve on the rubbish advice Raymer has been giving these past 5 years.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:35 PM

isn't it amazing how easy it is to know what poker players "should have done" when you get to see all the cards as well as the results?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: There\'s no advertising like free advertising

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of of book profits is Sklansky leaving on the table by not shooting for a few WPT final tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome back to the forum Gary Carson.

Jimbo