Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 12:08 AM

Default Re: i definitely agree with ilya on this...

I want to do it for maybe the next five years... while pursuing other professional interests on my winnings... and simply trying to enjoy life more while I'm young.

This all seems a lot better.

One final word of caution is that the weeks turn to months turn to years so damned quick that I would recommend writing up a five year plan before you start.

Write down all the things you must do each 3 months or so and DO THEM.

I'm certainly not a spoilsport, in fact I'd like to encourage everyone to do this... I just know that it's not for most people.

It seems to me like you genuinely understand what is being said here, and that's a big plus.

If you do proceed, make a little time each day to do your professional building for the future and try to NEVER lose sight of your ultimate goals.

It was easier for me, I never had any goals [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 10-31-2004, 01:05 AM

Be careful...your early years are the most fun...dont waste em playing poker or accounting...do something you like even if its min wage...lots of time to make $$ and waste time playing poker when you're older. (borrow $$ to buy a Harley and go on extended road trip )
Old 10-31-2004, 01:16 AM

if you're doing other things in addition, i wholly support your effort. it's actually not very different from what i'm doing now.

even though i complain a lot about poker, it has allowed me to go back to school and study, travel abroad a bit and live a winter in lake tahoe teaching snowboarding, all while i too pursue my dream of writing.

so good luck.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:10 AM

I see now I misinterpreted getting a degree in accounting as preparation for a career choice. If you had said philosophy major, and that you were thinking of becoming a bar tender, I probably would've said "do what makes you happy". So, my mistake.

Although I still think the similarities between the poker fad and similar mass cultural phenomenona hold. Exploiting it on the upswing is one thing, but you certainly don't want to be the one who got exploited. American history is a chronicle of easy money schemes. The ones who make a killing are generally the people who facilitate participating in these schemes. In the brokerage where I used to work, we jokingly referred to our work as "selling shovels to the miners".