Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 10:20 AM

Default Draws out of position....

Specific hand-

Hero is delt JTs in the sb in the early stages of a tourney (8-10 players left- first two rounds of blinds) ina party 10+1.

three limpers and the hero completes and the bb checks.

Flop comes Q,9,3r with one of hero's suit.
POA for the flop?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Draws out of position....

Check, call only with the right odds to any bet, don't chase. If this had been KQs on a flop of JT3r then I would bet out, because your outs are much more defined, but here you really do only have the straight outs.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:33 AM

Default i\'m a wuss

Since it's in an early stage of the tourney, i'm especially a wuss so i check and call only one bet (or smallish bet for NL). Later stages, i might bet this, but early on i'm mainly looking to not get eliminated.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: i\'m a wuss

Not a wuss at all, this is sensible play. I'd do exactly the same. Obviously if there were only 1 or maybe 2 to see the pot, then taking a stab at it may be the correct option. But with so many limpers, one will surely have the Q..

Oh and if they don't, chances are it'll get checked around to you, and you get your card free - win-win, really [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: i\'m a wuss

never semi bluff from sb unless there are only like 3 people in the pot at maximum. A hand like KQ would reraise you here and you'll probably call, then you'll be forced to call a huge bet on the turn.

One other possibility is to bet 15 and hope nobody raises and everyone calls. Sometimes weaker players will just call with top pair when someone bets 15. Another thing with this hand, if there are 2 hearts on the flop, and you have JT of spades (for example), don't bother drawing this for even a 1/2 pot bet (without a bunch of callers), b/c you don't want to be drawing against a flush draw.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:47 AM

with 8 clean outs and $75 in the pot i'm prepared to pay a bit to see another card - my implied odds in an early hand of a NL SNG are huge - any form of bluffing is out of the question - i would consider calling any bet, pot size or less

the first 20 minutes of a SNG are normally very dull for me - in a $200 NL SNG on empire tonight i saw 2 guys put there stacks in on the flop of hand 3 - J high held up to win - these guys are having all the fun

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-27-2004, 01:45 PM

It's strange to me that everyone that's responded has said check-call or check-fold. I bet this nearly every time and simply get away from it if I run into resistance. I figure I can make up the tiny amount of T$ that I'll be losing if someone raises me a lot and in the low buyin SnGs I play in, the TPTK guy simply calls most of the time trying to "trap" me.

Do the more experienced readers of this forum think I'm making bad moves here like this? It does fit with my image/style, lots of people call me "nocheck". I bet my draws like most people bet TPGK. I believe this is a good strategy *for me* because if ppl are paying attention I can get a free card by checking.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:07 PM

Why risk any of the your chips on a semi bluff when you know you will get called by TPTK or maybe a 9, hell even a 3 wouldn't surprise me on party 10+1. And I am not sure how much you bet but it seems to me that it takes a bit more then a tiny amount to get the 10+1ers to get off of anything.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM

I don't see why it is so bad to bet at this flop. Check-calling seems weak and to me, but I guess a lot of it depends on the table. You're going to need 4:1 odds to make a check-call correct. If there had been an ace or a king on the board, I probably would check, but what hands are going to limp with a Q - not nearly as many. If you're going to bother with JT out of position, you got a pretty sweet flop for it, why not bet it or at least plan on check-raising?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:03 PM

So if you're betting this as first to act how much are you throwing out there? I would never do it but I'm curious what you feel the right bet size is here for your style of play.