Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Alamo time?

20+2. Top 20 get paid. I currently am 37 out of 42 remaining with $3600. All of the relevant players in the hand have me outchipped at least 2 to 1.

I get 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. UTG raises to $1200. MP and CO call. I push. All call.

I think that pushing here is nearly an automatic decision but I am curious if anyone plays it differently. I obviously assumed I was behind, but it seemed like a good opportunity to build a large pot with a nice multiway hand and probably my best chance to make a run at the real money.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Alamo time?

I left some information out here. Blinds are 300/600
Old 10-21-2004, 10:43 AM

Too many people in the pot for a stop & go, but you also know with the push you will be called in at least one spot.

With an UTG raise and several callers, someone has a hand. You can fold here.

With so many people in, it is even borderline calling and seeing the flop (I know its 1/3 stack), but closing the action with a call you get some pot odds with a decent multi-way hand.

I probably fold here, and look for a spot where I can be heads up, or at least open the pot. 2nd choice is the push.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:59 AM

Folding is out of the question. You are way too far from the money to be folding in this spot. This is a great chance to get back in the game.

It's only T-600 to you. Calling will leave you with T-3000. I think I'd just call here, and push if I catch a piece of the flop.

--Casey
Old 10-21-2004, 06:48 PM

At 300/600 blinds, calling seems out of the question to me, especially since I won't have much fold equity on the flop. I was virtually certain that the raiser and the two limpers would call if I pushed preflop (which is exactly what happened). In that case, my pot odds are almost 4 to 1. I ran some scenarios on twodimes, and it looks like I was between 17% and 33% to take down the pot depending on how out of line my opponents were. All things being equal, I think that I had to take my shot here, especially given how short stacked I would have been if I had folded before the flop or on the flop.