Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 04:28 AM

Default Coping with stress

It feels as though I've been swamped with schoolwork and can't focus on it very well. I've just been out of it this term. I've been on tilt for all my dealings with school. At school doing work from sun-up til sundown, then coming home and doing homework til late. Then doing homework and studying on weekends. It just feels like an endless grind. Addicted to poker as I am, I can't even get 3 hours in during a week.

What are the ways YOU cope with stress (not related to poker)?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Coping with stress

After getting glandular fever (and illness exacerbated by stress) for the 3rd time in 4 years, the doctor told me that it's not uncommon for lymphoma to occur from all the pressure put on my glands.

So now, i look at stress as a carcinogenic (add it to the list!). That sure keeps me relaxed.

Really, when i get bothered, i remind myself that i have food, clothing, shelter, and people out there care about me. Then the little current issues don't really take on mountainous significance. You gotta do the daily grind, but you have to remember that your life is the important thing, not the jobs that comprise them.

That doesn't get the work itself done (i've got my first coursework due in - 4% of my degree - in 2 weeks, and i've yet to open a book), but getting stressed doesn't help; it makes people irrational, and in my case, very unwell.

Hope you manage to keep cool and the work gets paid off.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 10-18-2004, 05:45 AM

Physical exercixe is the best. I used to really like running or biking. The change of scene makes you feel good, and so does the fresh air and how much of it you get in your body, and the time it takes gives you a chance to think about anything and everything, and get all kinds of tensions slowly out of your system.

I like hanging around with friends, too, doing anything or nothing. Or checking out electronics stores for all the stuff I can't afford to buy but covet.

And going to the beach is a huge relaxer. Swimming loosens up muscles and tensions you didn't even know you had. Really therapeutic in every way. Hard not to be at least a little bit calmer and more balanced, even if not happier, after a good swim.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:50 AM

Default XXXX it

Why stress out about stuff you have no control over. You can only study so much for a test. If you fail , you fail. Does it really change anything. There are innocent people overseas getting their heads cut off by cowardice terrorists. Does anything really matter after seeing this footage. Imagine if that was one of your loved ones. Life is to short to stress out over anything. You do the best that you can, stop and smell the roses every now and then cause they might not be there tomorrow. Be happy to live in a country where you get to stress about not being able to play cards more than 3 hours a week. Could be a lot worst the way I see it.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:02 AM

Exercise and meditation. I know it's hard to take the time out for either, but the payoff is enormous, especially for the meditation. If you meditated for 20 minutes every day, it would probably be about a month before you started feeling any results, but then you'd find yourself retaining more from less time spent studying AND playing better poker. I can't overemphasize how much meditation has improved my life (though I do meditate for 30 minutes twice a day rather than 20 minutes once).

Scott
Old 10-18-2004, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pills, therapy, and self-help tapes.

Bug
Old 10-19-2004, 03:29 AM

In order to cope with external stress, I play poker.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I know you Ninja?

When I went to UBC, I had a 38 credit course load my final year, ran one of the largest clubs on campus, excercised, and still had time to play poker once a week.

The key is time management. Right now, it's mid term season and also when a lot of papers are probably due, along with any projects you are probably working on.

It's very important that you maintain a good phyiscal curriculum for yourself. Exercise and the release of endorphins refresh your body and help you relieve stress and mental fatigue.

I've never been a fan of all night studying. I've always paced myself throughout the entire term and wound up finishing things before my due dates.

I don't know how smart you are, but unless you are super competitive and trying to get that extra 1 or 2 percent on that next midterm then I would not cram till your brain in jammed. That marginal difference is really not worth the extra 2 or 3 hours of cramming. Ironically it may put too much pressure on you and you'll start to forget things.

Remember, the key is time management.

Poker should not be on your list of things to do to relieve stress. It will tilt your emotions either up or down the joy ladder and you don't need that because it's going to cloud your judgement in school.

Go out with your friends, excercise, have sex, play video games. Do not play poker.