Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Mike Matusow - 6 Months

There was a question in a different thread about Mike Matusow.

Here is the latest information on his sentencing.

I'm sure many on here can't wait to jump all over him, but hopefully he gets everything together after his time - and stays out of trouble. He was playing really well recently.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Mike Matusow - 6 Months

i doubt he is really a bad guy, prob. just another actor at the table.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:42 AM

I have a feeling he'll not like being known as "The Mouth" in lockup, for more than one reason...

Hopefully this will teach him some humility, couth, and to respect others.

As far as the "trumped up charges" and "possible setup", eh. I'm sure he had more than an ounce of coke in his posession WAY more than once, I doubt he was actively trafficking it, (maybe just, "sure man, I'll sell/give you some of mine"), but I don't doubt for a second he was using, and therefore was not set up.

Mind you, I don't know him except from TV and some gossip, but it fits the profile, and MM is one of the least surprising culprits in the poker world to me for this kinda thing.

That said, for some strange reason, I know feel better about the guy than before I knew this.. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 12:45 AM

I found him as unlikeable as the next guy on TV, but the times I chatted with him in Aruba, he seemed nice. He really does come off as being completely wired up about the game and willing to reveal anything you ask. Like, they take a dinner break with 10 left or so, and he walks outside and I happen to be walking along, and he launches into a discussion of just how he plans to trap this one player. Interesting at least!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I found him as unlikeable as the next guy on TV, but the times I chatted with him in Aruba, he seemed nice. He really does come off as being completely wired up about the game and willing to reveal anything you ask. Like, they take a dinner break with 10 left or so, and he walks outside and I happen to be walking along, and he launches into a discussion of just how he plans to trap this one player. Interesting at least!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on all counts
Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 AM

Matusow is the classic "flawed" guy - he has more than one side, depending on when you are around him. (BTW, we're all flawed, not name-calling here) I've heard and read people aggressively defend him as a really good guy to be around. His TV antics don't support that. I'd hate to see my worst behavior replayed over and over on ESPN, however.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:07 AM

Wow. Six felony counts including trafficing cocaine and they are dropped and reduced to a 6 month sentence.

Sounds like he got off pretty easy.

Bad boy Mike. Stay away from the white lady.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:27 AM

over one oz? holy nosebleed, batman, that's a lot of coke. not that I have any personal experience, but I'm told it is usually purchased by the gram.

I've alway thought he was friendly and funny at the table, not mean spirited. a couple of years ago, we were playing a late night game at the commerce, and he turned to the live one and said, "jj, would you please go home so I can get some sleep?"
Old 10-07-2004, 01:58 AM

IF ANYONE IS THE BASIS FOR THE CHARACTER "WORM" IN ROUNDERS IT WOULD BE MM
Old 10-07-2004, 04:40 AM

Hey Daliman!

Yeah coke is fun in low doses, but TOO easily out of control/addictive.

For a poker player, it's ability to provide SUPERB alertness for hours has got to be very very very very tempting especially for high stakes players, but with the reward comes it's very painful and well documented risks.

Will give you an edge in a poker tournament, but in the long haul, it's -EV.

And yeah 128 grams of COKE? Mikey!?! That was probably 10G's, just one WSOP buyin shoved up ya nose.

>TW<