Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Are online poker rooms rigged???

COGNITIVE...hurts.....
Old 09-25-2004, 05:11 AM

Yes, you are correct, there are a team of Poker Star agents sitting by at the ready, just waiting to fleece you out of your $3 tourney buy in.

Seriously, think about how ridiculous you sound for a moment.
The online sites make money regardless of how the cards fall.

**Research "Variance", and "Bankroll Management", of which you have alot to learn.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:07 AM

There's this poster, Desdia72. You guys were made for each other.

Burno
Old 09-25-2004, 11:25 AM

This guy is hillarious. He tells us that he doesn't play profitable hands and then thinks he is a good player. And then goes and blames it on the sites. Talk about a clueless fish. I really needed a laugh for the day and he delivers in spades!
Old 09-25-2004, 03:29 PM

Lou Krieger addressed this issue very persuasively in a cardplayer.com article. The title had the word "paranoia" in it. I believe Arthur Reber was his co-author.

You and several other people are making foolish complaints about rigging because you don't understand the first and most important point about poker: IT IS GAMBLING.

Whenever you gamble, all sorts of bizarre things happen such as losing to one-outers and trash hands.

I make a point of remembering the times I suck out so that I don't feel that sorry for myself when someone does it to me. For example, at least twice I have misread a situation so badly that I capped on the turn with one out, and then caught my miracle card. The poor guys who lost those hands may have felt that the dealer was cheating them, but it was just bad luck.

You and all the other whiners should either accept that poker is gambling or stop playing poker. If you can't accept bad luck, or if you have deceived yourself so completely that you think you're too good to lose, poker is absolutely the wrong game for you.

I regret being so harsh, but you and all the other whiners are not accepting your responsibility to deal with poker as it is. It is a gambling game, in which luck plays a huge role short term, but has little effects long term.

Regards,

Al
Old 09-25-2004, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, and for the record. I have folded AA and KK, knowing I was outdrawn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sucker! I was totally bluffing.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:12 PM

Wulf,

I am a relatively new player. I've been playing games with my friends now for about 5 years and have won somewhere in the area of $5,000 playing little $5 home games. I thought I was a great player and the online scene was my oyster. The fact of the matter is that my friends really suck at poker and I have a lot to learn before calling myself a great player. I got on this site about two weeks ago and have learned not only alot a poker, but also that I didn't know S*** about poker before I got on here. Don't let it get in your head that your unbeatable, b/c that is the first step to losing a lot of money. Instead, accept the fact that you, like most players(including myself), have a lot to learn and embrace it.

BTW, Thanks for all the advice from this sight. Ya'll have a lot of valuable insight and alot to teach me. Keep up the good work.

That's right.....I said Ya'll.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:18 PM

If they're rigged, they're doing a really bad job of it, because in the last four months I'm up over $3300 off a buyin of less than $100.

Frankly, it sounds to me like you have two basic problems here:

(1) you don't truly appreciate the difference between being merely a "favorite" vs. having a "lock". You probably grasp it intellectually, but you're not internalizing it emotionally or intuitively, and the failure to do so is skewing your expectations when you find yourself strongly ahead but still vulnerable to those longshot draws.

(2) You think the site you're playing on is stacking the deck against you, but you still continue to play there anyway. WHY? Either you're not as sure of that as you admit, or you like losing your money to a rigged game. If you're not certain it's rigged, then the next obvious culprit would be your play. If you are certain it's rigged, then the issue is your judgment. In either case, the responsibility for correcting the situation is yours.

q/q
Old 09-25-2004, 08:59 PM

(note: my reply above was intended for the original poster, not RiverTheNuts)

q/q
Old 09-25-2004, 09:07 PM

No they are not rigged. Just look at the W.S.O.P.. In the frist day a lot of champions were out of the tournament and a gal from an office pool has to change her plane ticket each day because she kept winning.