Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 09:09 PM

Default How would you play this?

On I think hand 6 of an ultimate bet tournament I'm in the sb with QQ. A mid seat player raises to 145 with 5/10 blinds, a late caller. I decided to call and see if an A or K flops.

The flop is J47 with a flush draw. The pot is like 400 and I have about 800 chips left, I think AJ will still call me and decide to lead out with an all-in push so I don't have to full around against overcards and flush draws.

Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: How would you play this?

Rereraise pre-flop?
Old 09-18-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Re: How would you play this?

[ QUOTE ]
On I think hand 6 of an ultimate bet tournament I'm in the sb with QQ. A mid seat player raises to 145 with 5/10 blinds, a late caller. I decided to call and see if an A or K flops.

The flop is J47 with a flush draw. The pot is like 400 and I have about 800 chips left, I think AJ will still call me and decide to lead out with an all-in push so I don't have to full around against overcards and flush draws.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a raise of 14.5x the BB is going to tell you that this guy is most likely a fishy player representing any decent hand.

How deep are starting stacks in UB real $ tourneys, 1500? That kinda depends on my answer.

Since I have no idea on how the raiser or the caller plays, I fold preflop. You're first to act on whatever flop comes, and you have zero idea if the raiser is representing KK or AA, or the caller is slowplaying a big pair.

Hands that have you beat on the flop include JJ, 44, 77, KK, AA. You're beating TT and below (excluding other sets), as well as high cards matching the J. You have somewhat of a race with AKo and AKs.

But that's how I play. I allow myself to pick up chips in other positions, and I don't see this position as profitable, since you have almost zero folding equity against these kind of players. Granted, if you push here and it pays off, you have a large stack to contend with, but at the same time you've still got a long way to go.

3x the starting amount of chips is certainly no guarantee to take you far into the tournament, and losing it all is an absolute guarantee of not winning.

Just a devil's advocate opinion