Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Is There Any Hope For REAL Poker (i.e. Hold Em Is Killing Us) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=225500)

grandgnu 05-14-2005 09:47 PM

Re: Is There Any Hope For REAL Poker (i.e. Hold Em Is Killing Us)

[ QUOTE ]
So you're complaining about variance then.

Again, you haven't said if you're referring to pot limit Omaha or 7-stud, or limit. I think NLHE is much lower variance than both, and more profitable. And yeah, O8 is a far easier game. 7-stud is not particularly complex either.

Fish want action. You want their action. NLHE is an action game. Play NLHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, variance is part of the game, regardless of whether it's hold 'em or stud. I just hate that it's so difficult to get a good game of stud or omaha going because of everyones ADHD making them only want to play Hold 'Em.

Yes, I understand that if I want to make more money, right now anyway, Hold 'Em is the way to go. It's just rotting my brain and negatively impacting my ability to play 7-stud because I'm so used to not having to pay attention and recall board cards in Hold Em.

rigoletto 05-17-2005 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and ogle girls in

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you play poker????

3rdEye 05-18-2005 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would Duder, His Dudeness or El Duderino be OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not into that whole "brevity" thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

8 year-olds, dude. Pederasts.

henington 05-19-2005 04:45 AM

I agree. Holdem is a great game but I think it's popularity is overrated. Card players, professionals, whatever, aren't given the respect they deserve for other games they excell at.
However, if you excel at something better than holdem, enjoy it while you can. If other games start getting the media hype like holdem is, than a lot more competition wll surface, making it more expensive to play...and just making those bad beats harder to accept. Win the money while it's there! And if the money doesn't bother you and you just want the competition, give it time. These games are too age old to just die.

tylerdurden 05-19-2005 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if you excel at something better than holdem, enjoy it while you can. If other games start getting the media hype like holdem is, than a lot more competition wll surface, making it more expensive to play...and just making those bad beats harder to accept. Win the money while it's there!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think increased publicity for something like (e.g.) seven-card stud would make it *harder* to win money playing it?

JinX11 05-20-2005 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you've got five or six people seeing the flop with junk, and your A/A drops significantly in value.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

shamelissone 05-20-2005 07:39 PM

http://agur-poker-classic.tripod.com/ here we are, we love texas hold em. Thats the real real deal. It's just our clubs site, but we want to add a bunch of stuff yet on our real site still being made. and yes, i agree the game is headed somwhere else.

motorholdem 05-27-2005 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hold 'Em is so fricken easy,

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, right....in the same way that chess and bridge are easy. It's harder than stud because you have less information and can eliminate less possibilities.