PDA

View Full Version : Did I get out of line here?

joker122
06-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Villian has VP$IP of 32% and a pfr of 3%. Conclude what you will from these numbers...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (4.33 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 13.16 BB

asdf1234
06-22-2004, 02:14 PM
I don't see what you could have done differently.

Yeknom58
06-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I would probably still bet the river over 1/2 the time but the times I did bet the river I would probably get shown a straight or some runner flush and the times I didn't I would get shown 2 pair or worse.

lostinthought
06-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Nope.. no problems with your play..

zram21
06-22-2004, 04:32 PM
Going by the PT stats you gave for the user he appears to be a little loose passive. A loose passive person probably wouldn't have 3 bet AJ, AT, or KQ preflop. And he likely would have called with Ax and JT. I would bet this river as well. I think he would have played AT, JT, KQ all the same way, but you will see the AT and JT more often than the KQ.

The fact that he only called the river bet suggests he didn't make the straight as well. Most players at 3/6 will go 3 bets with broadway even if the back door flush does hit on the river. I am guessing you got shown AT and took down the pot.

Garbonzo
06-22-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Going by the PT stats you gave for the user he appears to be a little loose passive. A loose passive person probably wouldn't have 3 bet AJ, AT, or KQ preflop. And he likely would have called with Ax and JT. I would bet this river as well. I think he would have played AT, JT, KQ all the same way, but you will see the AT and JT more often than the KQ.

The fact that he only called the river bet suggests he didn't make the straight as well. Most players at 3/6 will go 3 bets with broadway even if the back door flush does hit on the river. I am guessing you got shown AT and took down the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Why is he more likely to see a JT or A-10? 3 Tens are accounted for. No K's or Q's accounted for.

I put the BB on KQ, he is scared of the flush on the river. Raises the nuts on the turn...back to passive when the spade hits.

I'm quite the rookie, but posters play looks fine to me.

arkady
06-22-2004, 05:22 PM
According to PT your opponent is not particularly aggresive, although his post flop play is difficult to gauge.

In any event his cap on the turn is disturbing, but its either 2 pair or QK (maybe 44). Dont like the river bet though. Would you seriously enjoy calling a raise on the river? If not, check call - unless he is not aggressive, but actually passive and you fear he will check the river through, but I find that unlikely.

I guess I need to know whether u expected a raise? Only then can the river bet be discussed.

sthief09
06-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I play it the same way. I'm a little worried about KQ, but he'll have 2 pair often enough that your 3-bet will be profitable.

I think the river bet is more interesting. he's obviously scared of the flush. he's not scared you had a better hand on the turn. for a passive player to cap the turn you'd have to think he had the nuts or close to it. passive players also tend to slowplay less, so a flopped set or flopped 2 pair is less likely. I really think he has KQ, and I'd probably consider it for a couple of seconds, but I think I'd check behind.

if he doesn't have KQ and I just checked behind on the river, then well, I'm an idiot and I suck at hand reading.

sthief09
06-22-2004, 05:30 PM
the river check raise after putting in the last bet on the turn is a very aggressive and tricky move. I'm not giving this idiot credit for making it. I'm almost positive that he doesn't have the flush.

the question is whether it's more likely he has KQ/AA/JJ or 77/44/AJ/AT

I think AT or KQ are the most probable, with KQ being most likely.

chesspain
06-22-2004, 05:32 PM
I'm assuming you lost to KQ or JJ?

sfer
06-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Looks okay to me. That probably means you were out of line, though.

sthief09
06-22-2004, 05:36 PM
he didn't bet the river because he feared the flush.

and he wouldn't play AT, JT, or KQ the same way. it's much less likely he caps the turn with a hand that doesn't beat top 2. how could you possibly say AT or JT is more likely than KQ. that makes no sense at all. remember, the guy is passive.

logic:

- he is passive
- so he's not likely to slowplay
- he showed more aggression on the turn than flop
- so he picked something up on the turn
- he capped after hero 3-bet his check-raise
- passive players generally only check-raise with close to the nuts
- passive players tend to see monsters under the bed. when hero 3-bets the turn, he's gotta be thinking that hero has top 2 or better. he won't cap without top 2 or better.
- he checked the river after capping the turn because a backdoor flush draw arrived. that shows he's passive
- if he's passive yet capped the turn, he had to have a monster hand
- he had KQ for the turned nuts.

sthief09
06-22-2004, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. Why is he more likely to see a JT or A-10? 3 Tens are accounted for. No K's or Q's accounted for.

I put the BB on KQ, he is scared of the flush on the river. Raises the nuts on the turn...back to passive when the spade hits.

I'm quite the rookie, but posters play looks fine to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you up until the last sentence. if you're putting him on KQ then betting the river is no good.

arkady
06-22-2004, 05:56 PM
i would suggest your logic here is dead on. But why would anyone check through the nut str8, is he really afraid of that flush? Guess we all used to be like that at one point in time.

joker122
06-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Lately, I've been trying to turn up the aggression a notch. I often give people credit for the nuts when I get check raised and go into a shell, and I've missed countless bets because of it. It was something I was wary of during this hand.

He had K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif and his hand was good.

The more I think about my river bet the more I hate it.

Ponks
06-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Seems very standard to me.

Ponks

sthief09
06-23-2004, 01:26 AM
if he doesn't have KQ and I just checked behind on the river, then well, I'm an idiot and I suck at hand reading.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not an idiot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

zram21
06-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Your logic makes perfect sense. I let the fact that he check/called the river affect my read on how he played the turn. I still think that even most passive players would bet/raise the nut straight on the river when a back door flush hits. However you are right he would have likely slowed down with almost any two pair on the turn fearing that hero had KQ.

House-Lion
06-23-2004, 11:25 AM
I am not sure if I like the river-bet or not! Else all is fine. You were lucky you did not get raised on the river I think and it's somewhat odd (but in line with passive play) villan did not bet river and that rules out him holding any potential flush-hands.

Why would anyone rule out a slow-played two-pair consisting of AJ or maybe AT or even A4? I guess we all have seen plenty of doubfull slow-plays. This is the only reason to bet the river I think. I would probably just have checked the river, hoping for that two-pair.

StellarWind
06-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Notice that his king is in spades /images/graemlins/smile.gif!