PDA

View Full Version : Folding AKo PF

Hood
06-15-2004, 07:24 PM
I'd normally go all in here in a flash, but I think that's a big whole - one I'm trying to fill. Is the the correct play, or too weak?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t785)
SB (t785)
BB (t800)
UTG (t1030)
UTG+1 (t785)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
Hero (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t615)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t30</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to t200</font>, Hero folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls t185, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t170.

Flop: (t625) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets t100</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t100.

Turn: (t825) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets t100</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: t925
<font color="green">Main Pot: t825 (t825), won by MP1.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t100 (t100), returned to MP1.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. MP1 wins t925. </font>

TylerD
06-16-2004, 07:05 AM
If its a low limit buy-in, I'd probably go all-in.

ZeeJustin
06-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Call.

Hood
06-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the responses - if you could elaborate a bit more I may understood the reasons why I made an error here.

The reason I didn't go all in is because I was pretty confident I'd get called. That sounds rather weak, but I thought they're be a good chance it would be a call with a pocket pair - in these low limits that would be anything from 22 up to AA. So either I'll be a big dog or a coin flip, neither or which I want to take. I guess could be up against AQ, or even AJ, but I thought that unlikely.

Regarding calling - I did consider this. However a call is 25% of my stack (this is Party T800, I'm used to T1500; that would have been an easier call) which 'violates' the 10% rule. If I called, the PF raises would likely push at me regardless of the flop. If there's no A or K, I'd have to fold it - which is the rather likely.

The other reason I didn't call is I feared a re-raise - I've found early rounds on party rather manic, and a raise from the 6 players behind me, or a re-raise from the first minraiser, seemed quite possible.

Retrospectively, either call/all in would have been better that my fold, what with the ace on the flop and the pathetic play of the players on the flop/turn, but I convinced myself this was 'results orientated'

From reading the forums here, I've learnt not to take chances for a large part of my stack early on when I didn't need to. But perhaps this was too tight.

(edited with bit about results-orientated)

ZeeJustin
06-16-2004, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
which 'violates' the 10% rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the 10% rule only referred to pocket pairs? Either way, it's a pretty crappy rule.

soxfan70
06-16-2004, 10:27 AM
That to me is a pretty weak/tight fold. At the very least you have to call and see the flop with that hand. if it hits rags, and he comes out firing again, then you can probably put him on a PP or maybe even a hand as weak as AK,grin: and lay it down.

Hood
06-16-2004, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That to me is a pretty weak/tight fold. At the very least you have to call and see the flop with that hand. if it hits rags, and he comes out firing again, then you can probably put him on a PP or maybe even a hand as weak as AK,grin: and lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem here is with ~450 in the pot when the flop comes, he's going to fire at that pot whatever comes down. I can't tell whether he's got a pocket overpair or not, so I'll have to fold unless an A or K comes down.

Beavis68
06-16-2004, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't sweat this hand at all, it is still early and you didnt lose any chips on it. Going all-in is reckless, and I think there is too much betting to just call. No need to get knocked out this early, or damage your chip stack on a a drawing hand.

fnurt
06-16-2004, 12:57 PM
The implications of the "10% rule" are that if someone raises to T90 on the first hand of the tourney, your only choices are all-in or fold, because a call would be over 10% of your stack. That strikes me as a bit silly.

BradleyT
06-16-2004, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The implications of the "10% rule" are that if someone raises to T90 on the first hand of the tourney, your only choices are all-in or fold, because a call would be over 10% of your stack. That strikes me as a bit silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it silly? Work out the math and you need about 10:1 to flop a set that isn't beat and continue with the hand. If you're calling 20% you're going through your stack twice to double up once.

obex
06-16-2004, 02:12 PM
I like your fold here. I guess I'm "weak-tight". I'm definitely extremely tight at this stage of the tourney. Certainly I would call or even push at a later stage but playing against a raiser and a reraiser with AK seems like a generally bad idea so early in the tournament. If you call, what is your plan if the original raiser pushes preflop? A greater worry is the reraiser. I think typically it will be unlikely that the reraiser has a hand that AK dominates. At best it is a lower pocket-pair that you are a slight dog to, at worst KK or AA and if the flop "hits" you, you will get sucked in and lose everything. I fold here and wait for the next good hand. There will be more opportunities to build your stack at less risk.

donkeyradish
06-16-2004, 02:43 PM
In early rounds when I'm not in any trouble, I don't like to go All-in without KK or AA.

(But when I do have them I like to try to induce people to go all in. Best I can explain that is, I play AA as if I really have something like AQ)

patrick dicaprio
06-16-2004, 05:46 PM
i think calling is not right here so it is either all in or fold. it is early and you dont want to go out of the tourney early. usually a reraise by a good player is at least QQ but many players at these levels and these blinds will reraise with less than that. if he is reraising with less than that well at least you might find out if there is a showdown and play accordingly. i would tend to go all in here against most opponents but it is OK to fold here.

Pat

fnurt
06-16-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it silly? Work out the math and you need about 10:1 to flop a set that isn't beat and continue with the hand. If you're calling 20% you're going through your stack twice to double up once.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is also silly to think about flopping a set with AKo.

I have no problem with the idea that you need 10-1 implied odds to call with a small pocket pair. But that's obviously not what the original poster was talking about when he brought up the 10% rule. This post is about AKo.