PDA

View Full Version : Monitor gurus...give me your review of this one please

jwvdcw
05-23-2004, 04:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51047&item=4132409 666&rd=1

I was intruiged the the big size for what seems like a fairly moderate price for one so big. Is it worth it? Will I have any problems connecting it to my Sony Vaio? Right now I have a 19 inch one that came with the Vaio, which is nice, but overlaps quite a bit when playing 4 tables at once. What does everyone think of this monitor?

astroglide
05-23-2004, 05:45 PM
23"+ monitors are generally a waste of money compared to multiple, smaller monitors. you can often get 2 dell 2001fps (20", 1600x1200, true 24bit, 16ms response) for $1500. they don't have the "wow" factor as much, but it offers much more for less.

Rick Nebiolo
05-23-2004, 08:35 PM
If you have a corner desk setup go with a 22 inch CRT monitor in the corner (try a computer fair = I got my Viewsonic Professional Series P225F refurb for $230) and then get a 20 or 19" LCD for the side (tha ton is in my future, right now my second monitor is a 15" LCD).

Windows XP and most video cards easily drive two monitors.

Regards,

Rick

jwvdcw
05-24-2004, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Regards,

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to all this...So you can use 2 computer screens with just one computer and it'll be split onto each of them?? And if so, I take it that you recommend I keep the 19 inch one I have now and buy a similar one to use as well?

I have to admit that I did want that 'wow' factor of the 30 incher that the first response said. I have my computer set up in the living room, and I like it to look nice.

I know that this issue of monitors has been discussed to death(and I'll do a search to look through some of the old info), but I'd appriciate any more info you can give me. Thanks.

astroglide
05-24-2004, 12:39 AM
yes, you can use 2 monitors with 1 pc. i'm doing it right now.

Inthacup
05-24-2004, 01:01 AM
I'm using 3 monitors on 1 computer. Aren't you jealous?

Rick Nebiolo
05-24-2004, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you can use 2 computer screens with just one computer and it'll be split onto each of them?? And if so, I take it that you recommend I keep the 19 inch one I have now and buy a similar one to use as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two large monitors of nearly identical size (hopefully as large as possible) are ideal. Keep in mind a 21 inch CRT is about equal to a 19 inch LCD and so on.

The big problem is desktop real estate. My desk has lots of space in the corner (I face the corner) and on one side (the other side has a built in bookshelf) so a big CRT goes in the corner and an LCD fits nicely to the side. I've tried to wedge in three monitors (two CRTs driven by one AGP slot duel head video card and the third by a PCI slot card) but I've gone back to two because I lost too much of my desktop and it got claustrophobic.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit that I did want that 'wow' factor of the 30 incher that the first response said. I have my computer set up in the living room, and I like it to look nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out this gallery (http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp) of multimonitor setups.

You might find the the top two hits from this (http://tinyurl.com/29nmb ) discussion on RGP of multiple monitors useful.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that this issue of monitors has been discussed to death(and I'll do a search to look through some of the old info), but I'd appriciate any more info you can give me. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think two monitor (and two hard disk) setups will become common within a few years and is worth discussing. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick

astroglide
05-24-2004, 09:39 AM
no. i do too, but i was keeping things simple.

oddjob
05-24-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have a corner desk setup go with a 22 inch CRT monitor in the corner (try a computer fair = I got my Viewsonic Professional Series P225F refurb for $230) and then get a 20 or 19" LCD for the side (tha ton is in my future, right now my second monitor is a 15" LCD).

Regards,

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm a mac user, so i don't know that much about pc's but dont' you need a video card for each monitor you use, or are pc's video cards now come with two output jacks?

twang
05-24-2004, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Check out this gallery (http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp) of multimonitor setups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man! That gallery had some pretty funny monitor setups (and some crazy setups in general!) and some very, very nice setups too.

Don't know why, but I find watching pictures of people's homes (especially computer/desk setups and garages) highly entertaining.

Thanks for posting the link.

Rick Nebiolo
05-25-2004, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm a mac user, so i don't know that much about pc's but don't' you need a video card for each monitor you use, or are pc's video cards now come with two output jacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

For my current system box (thankfully to be replaced this week /images/graemlins/grin.gif) I have a fairly cheap video card with dual VGA Output connectors (15 Pin D-Sub)you can see at this (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-171&depa=1) link. I drove my third monitor with a PCI slopt version of a GeForce4 MX420SE.

A typical video card such as the midrange card shown in this (http://tinyurl.com/2sooa) link has a VGA output and a DVI output. You can buy a DVI to VGA converter plug for about $10. Of course it is best if you have LCD with a DVI input (my little 15 inch one doesn't - that upgrade to a 19" LCD will wait a year or two) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've heard Matrox tends to have good duel head video cards that would be bad for gaming but good for general purpose computing and online poker.

Don't know much about Mac's but browsed in a Mac retail store at the new mall near Farmer's Market in LA. They really have some eye catching hardware and cool inovations. But I'm a PC guy.

Hope this helps.

~ Rick