Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 05-23-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Monitor gurus...give me your review of this one please

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...09666&rd=1

I was intruiged the the big size for what seems like a fairly moderate price for one so big. Is it worth it? Will I have any problems connecting it to my Sony Vaio? Right now I have a 19 inch one that came with the Vaio, which is nice, but overlaps quite a bit when playing 4 tables at once. What does everyone think of this monitor?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:45 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Monitor gurus...give me your review of this one please

23"+ monitors are generally a waste of money compared to multiple, smaller monitors. you can often get 2 dell 2001fps (20", 1600x1200, true 24bit, 16ms response) for $1500. they don't have the "wow" factor as much, but it offers much more for less.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:35 PM

If you have a corner desk setup go with a 22 inch CRT monitor in the corner (try a computer fair = I got my Viewsonic Professional Series P225F refurb for $230) and then get a 20 or 19" LCD for the side (tha ton is in my future, right now my second monitor is a 15" LCD).

Windows XP and most video cards easily drive two monitors.

Regards,

Rick
Old 05-24-2004, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Regards,

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to all this...So you can use 2 computer screens with just one computer and it'll be split onto each of them?? And if so, I take it that you recommend I keep the 19 inch one I have now and buy a similar one to use as well?

I have to admit that I did want that 'wow' factor of the 30 incher that the first response said. I have my computer set up in the living room, and I like it to look nice.

I know that this issue of monitors has been discussed to death(and I'll do a search to look through some of the old info), but I'd appriciate any more info you can give me. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:39 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

yes, you can use 2 monitors with 1 pc. i'm doing it right now.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:01 AM

I'm using 3 monitors on 1 computer. Aren't you jealous?
Old 05-24-2004, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you can use 2 computer screens with just one computer and it'll be split onto each of them?? And if so, I take it that you recommend I keep the 19 inch one I have now and buy a similar one to use as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two large monitors of nearly identical size (hopefully as large as possible) are ideal. Keep in mind a 21 inch CRT is about equal to a 19 inch LCD and so on.

The big problem is desktop real estate. My desk has lots of space in the corner (I face the corner) and on one side (the other side has a built in bookshelf) so a big CRT goes in the corner and an LCD fits nicely to the side. I've tried to wedge in three monitors (two CRTs driven by one AGP slot duel head video card and the third by a PCI slot card) but I've gone back to two because I lost too much of my desktop and it got claustrophobic.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit that I did want that 'wow' factor of the 30 incher that the first response said. I have my computer set up in the living room, and I like it to look nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out this gallery of multimonitor setups.

You might find the the top two hits from this discussion on RGP of multiple monitors useful.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that this issue of monitors has been discussed to death(and I'll do a search to look through some of the old info), but I'd appriciate any more info you can give me. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think two monitor (and two hard disk) setups will become common within a few years and is worth discussing. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rick
Old 05-24-2004, 09:39 AM

no. i do too, but i was keeping things simple.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a corner desk setup go with a 22 inch CRT monitor in the corner (try a computer fair = I got my Viewsonic Professional Series P225F refurb for $230) and then get a 20 or 19" LCD for the side (tha ton is in my future, right now my second monitor is a 15" LCD).

Regards,

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm a mac user, so i don't know that much about pc's but dont' you need a video card for each monitor you use, or are pc's video cards now come with two output jacks?
Old 05-24-2004, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Check out this gallery of multimonitor setups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man! That gallery had some pretty funny monitor setups (and some crazy setups in general!) and some very, very nice setups too.

Don't know why, but I find watching pictures of people's homes (especially computer/desk setups and garages) highly entertaining.

Thanks for posting the link.