PDA

View Full Version : bad news about Jennifer Harman

whiskeytown
05-18-2004, 03:00 PM
I heard from Felicia over on liveactionpoker.com - where Daniel N. posts that she's in need of a kidney transplant - he was telling folks about it on there

sounds like they got a donor, and she's got the op. next week - but of course it'll take her out of the main event at the WSOP this year...

poker players are notorious for not having insurance - hope she's covered thru her husband, cause those friggen drugs you have to take the rest of your life to keep it from being rejected are a pain in the pocketbook.

RB

Lee Jones
05-18-2004, 03:15 PM
This has been going on for quite a while now - I too had heard that she has a donor. It is indeed very sobering news and puts "poker" into perspective, doesn't it?

Regards, Lee

mike l.
05-18-2004, 03:27 PM
"hope she's covered thru her husband, cause those friggen drugs you have to take the rest of your life to keep it from being rejected are a pain in the pocketbook."

my guess is she can afford it.

that said, anyone know about the movie "the big blind"? specifically when will it come out if ever or how to buy a dvd or vhs of it?? (harman plays a leading role in it)

whiskeytown
05-18-2004, 03:28 PM
technically, that could be applied to any job that people get too wrapped up in...or like you wrote in your book - the advice I think Ferguson gave - don't play...go read a book or volunteer...

I take a week or two off now and again and just go to movies or read - thinking of starting the Master and Commander series

but yah...I had a buddy get one from his mom a yr or two ago - he was only 29 - and every day he puts his pills into a shotglass (in the hospital, they had paper cups, and he just went for the shotglass) - and he almost fills it.

you can have the damn thing for 20 yrs, and if you stop taking your suppression drugs, your body can start to reject it - rough thing for a young person to have to deal with for the rest of their life. -

how people as nice as her has a kidney failure and guys like John Bonetti go on living is to me just a cruel mockery from God.

Zele
05-18-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how people as nice as her has a kidney failure and guys like John Bonetti go on living is to me just a cruel mockery from God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Only experience with him is eating dinner next table over, and still I can confidently say: that guy's a dick.

Daliman
05-19-2004, 12:58 AM
FUnny, I personally thought JB was very nice and helpful.

MicroBob
05-19-2004, 03:54 AM
i wasnt aware of this. most unfortunate obviously...however, i also am not too concerned with her insurance situation or if she can afford it...but perhaps i'm taking that for granted.

i worked for a guy the same age as me (32 or 33) who had undergone a couple of kidney transplants since he was 12 i think.
evidently, they generally last about 8 years or so before you need another one. the one he had when i worked for him had 2 or 3 years left in it.

he had to go to the doctor all the time just to get checked out....and if he was tired or feeling like crap he never knew if he was just working too hard or generally 'feeling like crap' which happens to anyone....or if it meant something serious was going on and he should 'start digging' as he likes to say.

obviously surgery can be risky and all the pills, etc aren't fun but it is possible to live a mostly normal life in spite of the difficulties it presents so hopefully all will go well for Harmon.

Allan
05-19-2004, 09:34 AM
conjelco has it.....

Allan

bernie
05-19-2004, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
poker players are notorious for not having insurance - hope she's covered thru her husband, cause those friggen drugs you have to take the rest of your life to keep it from being rejected are a pain in the pocketbook.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think she'll be hurting too much in the pocketbook if she doesnt have insurance. She isnt exactly struggling for money. Anyone who is bankrolled enough to play the highest limit games in vegas shouldnt have a problem.

More realistic is hoping she'll have a nice recovery and everything goes smoothly.

b

Bubbagump
05-19-2004, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have also heard this about professional poker players, but
any 'professional' poker players that are playing in the ulta-high limit games like Jennifer or Daniel who can't be bothered to invest a few grand a year on the own health and well being are idiots. I sincerely hope that is not the case here.

Somebody in another thread mentioned that Jennifer was broke but did not go into any details. I hope everything works out for her.

Bubbagump

whiskeytown
05-19-2004, 01:25 PM
I just remember Tom McEvoy's problems a year or two ago - didn't they end up passing the hat after the Tunica Poker tourney one year...

of course, he had his own host of problems totally unrelated to bad poker playing (bad accountants, getting robbed, etc) -

RB

FeliciaLee
05-19-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lol. Only experience with him is eating dinner next table over, and still I can confidently say: that guy's a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just posted about him on my journal. I had to mull over how much I wanted to post about the situation. On the one hand, it was atrocious. On the other hand, do I really want him to "hijack" my own journal? He shouldn't be the center of that story, there were so many excellent players I was able to play against! I hope I found a good balance.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

bernie
05-19-2004, 07:24 PM
I wonder how much of the players' backers money went into that hat. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

b

ZeeJustin
05-19-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is indeed very sobering news and puts "poker" into perspective, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

This line may seem a little odd at first until you translate it properly:

Death [kidney failure] puts life [poker] into perspective.

[ QUOTE ]
Take death for example. A great deal of our effort does into avoiding it. We make extraordinary efforts to delay it and often consider it's intrusion a tragic event, yet we'd find it hard to live without it. Death gives meaning to our lives. It gives importance and value to time. Time would become meaningless if there were too much of it...
-Ray Kurzweil on death

[/ QUOTE ]