PDA

View Full Version : how would you play this better?

Noodles
05-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Noodles is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Noodles raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Noodles calls.
Had seen this guy 3 bet pf a few hands ago and had AA

Flop: (7.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Noodles checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Noodles raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Noodles calls.
Anyone cap the flop here?

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Noodles checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Noodles calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Noodles checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Noodles calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.75 BB, between Noodles and UTG+2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Noodles (10.75 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Noodles shows Qs Qh (one pair, queens).
UTG+2 shows Ks Ac (high card, ace).
Outcome: Noodles wins 10.75 BB. </font>

CardCuda
05-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey noodles -

Personally I cap pre-flop here heads-up. (could be a bad thing I guess).

I cap the flop as well here and lead the turn. If still finding resistance I'll call down.

Noodles
05-17-2004, 04:13 PM
yea my play looks weak here,all that can beat me is JJ,KK or AA.so i was fearing monsters i think

Sarge85
05-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Outside of capping PF I think you played it about par for the course.

Him coming at you after a CR on the flop, would generally indicate some pretty big guns heads up - generally that would mean he's certainly not afraid of top pair.

Looking at that fact he can beat a pair of Jacks or better....since you have two of the queens, that would make me a little concerned.

I admire his tenancity though /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

tripdad
05-17-2004, 06:12 PM
i think you played it very well. if you cap preflop, he probably will check through the flop. you got an extra bet when you called his reraise and check/raised him. good job.

cheers!

my line: preflop cap, lead out all subsequent streets. just call down if raised anywhere.

bernie
05-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I think you played it fine.

Once he 3 bets your c/r on the flop, and its HU, to the showdown we go. Not exactly enjoying the trip, but ya may be suprised and drag the pot.

b

bernie
05-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Think of the ratio of him holding TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA to having AK. It's pretty close to even. Many wont 3 bet AQ here on the flop, so throw that out. But maybe, just maybe AJs? Which may tip it to a cap on the flop.

I think his reaction to your flop c/r makes up for you not capping preflop.

Yeknom58
05-17-2004, 06:39 PM
You're a little wishy washy on this one. You don't cap preflop because you fear KK/AA. Now when the flop comes down J high you CR him??? If you were behind preflop, you're behind on the flop, nothing has changed. Now if your reasoning had been...I only called the 3 bet preflop so I can CR him on a non Ace flop then I would like the way you played this hand.

I would have capped preflop, bet the flop and if he raised me, I would think about folding, then I would pinch my leg and call down hoping to see exactly AK or AJs. Of course the easiest way to play this hand is to flop set...I can't believe you didn't see that!!

jmark
05-17-2004, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You gave him credit for AA when he 3-bet, so why did you checkraise him on the flop then call a 3-bet? Did you think he had an equal chance at having AK and were waiting to see if one flopped?

unome
05-17-2004, 07:11 PM
I think the only questionable thing here is if the 3 bet after the flop was the right move. Personally, out of position, I just call the 3 bet preflop and then bet into him on the flop. The early 3 bet by a player you saw 3 bet preflop with Aces not too long ago would lead me to believe (unless proven otherwise by future hands) that he bets strong hands. A-K is just about the only hand you can hope he has that you can beat after the flop. I don't think he's going anywhere here HU so the check and call on turn and river are fine in case he is bluffing and would fold to any bet*.

* You only hope he doesn't spike the A or K.

MarkD
05-18-2004, 12:39 AM
Ok. I've read about 80% of the posts and no one mentioned what I would consider the best line.

I think just calling pre-flop is better than capping here. But I think you are better off check calling the flop and turn and betting the river.

This hand is basically right out of HEPFAP if memory serves me.

MarkD
05-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Capping pre-flop would kill your post-flop action against any hand that you have beat.

balkii
05-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Mark D - the problem with that is HPFAP assumes fairly reasonable playing opponents. Not good ones, but not the typical party poker player.

The HPFAP examples assumes you are being 3-bet by JJ-AA, and AK

On party poker the unknown players 3-betting hands are a much wider range, and calls for a little more aggression, to get full value for your hand.

balkii
05-18-2004, 01:41 AM
I think you played this fine. Whether or not to cap preflop - completely player dependent.

MarkD
05-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Except for the fact that the poster is assuming the 3-bet means a strong hand. If I am misreading the posters post then I will agree with you, but the way I read it HPFAP directly applies to this particular situation. We are not talking about a typically Party player, we have a read in this hand so let's use it.

Honestly I probably play it like the poster did but I think it is the wrong play in that it costs you the most when you are behind and makes you the least when you ahead (against most thinking opponents and that is how I perceive that the poster percieved this particular opponent).

balkii
05-18-2004, 01:53 AM

I dont know if this qualifies as a 'read.' But I think we agree with each other anyways.

MarkD
05-18-2004, 01:55 AM
Yes, I may have read more into it than I should have.

Noodles
05-18-2004, 10:01 AM
cos if i cr him on the flop with this board and he still raises me i know he must have something pretty good

bernie
05-18-2004, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Capping pre-flop would kill your post-flop action against any hand that you have beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. Unless they know you're capable of cappping preflop with more hands than just the big 3.

In this case, i think the flop c/r being raised is a great indicator. Which may or may not have happened had he capped preflop.

b