PDA

View Full Version : PETA and Butterflies

andyfox
05-07-2004, 04:48 PM
On the way to lunch today, I heard on the radio that some celebratory group wanted to release a thousand butterflies as part of their celebration. PETA objected on the grounds of cruelty and now the group is going to use butterfly-like balloons instead of real butterflies. I assume it's not the release that they saw as cruel, but rather the pre-release incarceration.

I have some respect for butterflies. They're pretty to look at [there's a wonderful butterfly room at the Museum of Natural History in New York], they must have had a tough life, what with the caterpillar stage, followed by what must have been the clautrophibic cocoon, and then the wispiness of their existence, at the whim of birds, winds and butterfly nets.

But what about, say, ants? I just crushed one. I more than crushed it, I disintegrated it, rubbing it between my fingers until it disappeared from view. Ants seem much more intelligent than butterflies. True, they appear to be communists [the one I just obliterated was quoting Engels to the end], but they are very industrious, always work, work, work, no flitting about aimlessly like a butterfly, and I often see one carrying an injured comrade, under great personal duress, something I don't see other creatures defended by PETA, such as butteflies or chickens, doing. I dare say I've killed tens or thousands, maybe millions of ants, in my lifetime (either directly or via Terminix). Cruel, ghastly deaths.

So should we have concern for butterflies?

Or ants?

Or chickens?

MaxPower
05-07-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm sure if they could get donations and/or publicity by defending ants, they would be all over it.

Philuva
05-07-2004, 05:29 PM
My wife is a personal chef. One of her sections in culinary school was butchering. Basically taking a complete piece of meat and cutting it into servings (i.e. a cow into a filet, prime rib, tenderloin, etc.).

Some of the students, who had no issues doing it for the cow, chicken or pig, had a huge issue doing it for rabbits or lambs. I think it reminded them of their dogs.

Anyway, I guess my point is people judge life on different levels and based upon their beauty, work ethic, social contributions, etc. determines our willingness to kill them.

Personality goes a long way too. The more personality an organism exhibits, the less willing we are to kill it.

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 05:41 PM
So does your wife get offended when I say that I butchered a hand?

Dilbert
05-07-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the students, who had no issues doing it for the cow, chicken or pig, had a huge issue doing it for rabbits or lambs. I think it reminded them of their dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]
A well prepared dog is a very good dish. People in America and other Western cultures don't know what they are missing.

Sloats
05-07-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm not a butcher, but I am offended by that term. It infers that there is no skill necessary in the art of butchery and that butchers are all hacks.

BTW, when did 'Raise and breed for purposes of harvesting' become unethical? PETA used to be against scientist torturing animals unnecessarily. Now they are about putting animal lives above human....

Clarkmeister
05-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Am I unconsciously siding with PETA when I say that I got slaughtered playing poker last night?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.....

Philuva
05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. She is offended by the way you played the hand when you butchered them.

ThaSaltCracka
05-07-2004, 06:25 PM
funny post Andy

BadBoyBenny
05-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Please provide me with a more flattering term that I can use when visiting my local butcher. Anything that gets me better steaks would be appreciated.

Dilbert
05-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Have you heard? They found Nemo!

http://sloppynoodle.com/cards/nemo.jpg

daryn
05-07-2004, 09:37 PM
i think it's thought of as a given by all normal people that PETA is just full of whackos.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-08-2004, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PETA objected on the grounds of cruelty and now the group is going to use butterfly-like balloons instead of real butterflies. I assume it's not the release that they saw as cruel, but rather the pre-release incarceration.

[/ QUOTE ]

So instead of harmlessly releasing 1,000 (living, unharmed, but nonetheless temporarily incarcerated) butterflies, they'd prefer we pollute the environment, clog up whale blowholes, choke birds etc with 1,000 plastic balloons. OK! Real geniuses here!

How about my dog? There's a fence all the way around the property. He only has 1.5 acres total. In the wild he'd probably have like 50 square miles or more. Are they going to be picketing my house next?

al

Sloats
05-18-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PETA objected on the grounds of cruelty and now the group is going to use butterfly-like balloons instead of real butterflies. I assume it's not the release that they saw as cruel, but rather the pre-release incarceration.

[/ QUOTE ]

So instead of harmlessly releasing 1,000 (living, unharmed, but nonetheless temporarily incarcerated) butterflies, they'd prefer we pollute the environment, clog up whale blowholes, choke birds etc with 1,000 plastic balloons. OK! Real geniuses here!

How about my dog? There's a fence all the way around the property. He only has 1.5 acres total. In the wild he'd probably have like 50 square miles or more. Are they going to be picketing my house next?

al

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm, yes.

You are making 'your' dog subserviant to you and not the other way around. No dog should be a 'pet' but rather and equal partner in life. And don't you dare read that book that teaches man to think like dogs and ignore their dog upon arriving home and thus enforcing the 'Alpha dog' concept. Your dog should be treated just like your most precious baby, even better. You should cater to you dog's every whim.

Dynasty
05-19-2004, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had read this nine hours ago, I could have really sent this thread on a tangent by telling you how retarded your question was.

ericd
05-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Please, let's drop the subject. I had. We can agree to disagree.

nicky g
05-19-2004, 08:32 AM
"Ants are very industrious, always work, work, work, no flitting about aimlessly like a butterfly"

That's why butterflies are a million times better.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-19-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should cater to you dog's every whim.

[/ QUOTE ]

So maybe we should ask peta - if my dog wants to sniff my butt should i bend over? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

their answer will probably be "as long as no butterflies are harmed in the process, then yes."

al

Kenrick
05-20-2004, 04:15 AM
I've always been a supporter of People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.