PDA

View Full Version : 10%+ of WSOP entrants from pokerstars alone

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 04:35 PM
GAG.

Don't take my word for it BTW, just log into pokerstars and look at the banner that pops up.

This doesn't count all the countless entries from all the other sites. Probably 50% of the entrants will be from online, maybe a lot more.

GAG. Did I already say that?

A field full of mostly internet poker idiots. Stupidity fest extraordinaire. Many top players will be knocked out by all-in with A6o, gutshots, limp reraise with 33, catches three on turn, etc etc till you puke.

My interest in the WSOP main event declines daily.

al

Michael Davis
05-05-2004, 04:43 PM
I don't think most of those qualifying on the Internet are going to be idiots.

-Michael

fluff
05-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Nothing can possibly be better for poker than a championship event that is an "idiotfest".

Although I doubt it will be one, or at least not as bad as you make it out to be.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
I didn't say it would be bad for poker. I meant that it would be about as interesting as watching a big tournament on party poker.

al

CrackerZack
05-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 05:38 PM
you've shown a lot of real class here (NOT). I am sure this post of yours will make you extra popular and well respected on the forums (NOT).

My opinion is legit. I think too many internet qualifiers will make the tournament a luck-fest, and I said so. It wasn't a personal attack on you, but you made it into a personal attack on me (completely unprovoked). Real classy zack.

al

Ulysses
05-05-2004, 05:48 PM
snakehead, Boris, Paluka, Diplomat and SpicyF are among 2+2ers I know of who have qual'd for the 10k online. All of those guys are excellent players.

Layne Flack is just one pro I'm aware of who has qual'd for a WSOP seat online.

Daniel Negreneau was among pros who qual'd for the Bellagio WPT tourney online.

Many of the people who qualify online are excellent poker players. Many of them will also have far more tournament experience and success than people qualifying through B&M satellites.

CrackerZack
05-05-2004, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't a personal attack on you, but you made it into a personal attack on me (completely unprovoked).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct and I apologize.

But what I haven't understood and still don't is this intense and completely hatred and contempt for the growth of poker and poker tournaments. It comes out constantly usually in posts championing against the "idol worship of moneymaker" because some people don't believe he played that bad or that he's a total fish. For saying this they consistently get accused of worshipping at the moneymaker altar or some other ridiculous overstatement. Things in past threads have provoked comments directed right at people to keep worshipping their idiot fish moneymaker and other such stuff. Don't play the innocent card here.

Anyway, you should know as well as anyone that luck in a tournament is much more a factor of length of rounds and blinds progression than quantity of entrants. Sure it will affect it minorly, but not nearly to the degree of shortening rounds or making blinds escalation very rapid.

Anyway, I apologize for the comment, but seriously know one here is worshipping moneymaker, some just disagree that he's a complete idiot that got super lucky. But to say the WSOP will be an "idiotfest" because half the entrants are internet qualifiers is ludicrous. There are top notch players that play only on the internet and many of them will be playing in this event.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 06:06 PM
I could give a flying **** about your apology now. you posted an extremely nasty post directed at me, and you haven't deleted it, when you certainly had more than enough time to do so. Because of this, I won't even debate with you any legitimate points you may have raised, when normally I would. They are irrelevant after your highly insulting comments, which you let stand.

I hope Mat "the axe" Sklansky is more forgiving than me, for your sake.

I really am a pretty nice guy, but don't get me mad.

al

BreakEvenPlayer
05-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Chris Moneymaker is a great poker player.

P.S. Zack wasn't really implying that you like to suck pro players' peeners, it was in jest.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 06:26 PM
I know my position on this matter is in the minority. That's fine. I probably won't change it, but then you never know.

The matter with zack is out of my hands at this point, what's done is done. If he gets banned it's his own fault. There's a point where jest goes too far. And like I said, don't make me mad. It's well known I have a pretty short fuse.

al

DanS
05-05-2004, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know my position on this matter is in the minority. That's fine. I probably won't change it, but then you never know.

The matter with zack is out of my hands at this point, what's done is done. If he gets banned it's his own fault. There's a point where jest goes too far. And like I said, don't make me mad. It's well known I have a pretty short fuse.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesuschrist dude, stop being such a baby. It's an internet message forum ferchissakes.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Do you have some opinion on the original topic?

Enough. Talk about the original topic or don't, but otherwise I am done discussing it.

al

swami
05-05-2004, 08:27 PM
why don't you chill out, and who are you threatening with your temper.

cornell2005
05-05-2004, 08:33 PM
alot/most of the qualifiers through stars are excellent players. most of them came though the 600 sunday tournametns, and those things are loaded with pros and winning internet high stakes players

Ulysses
05-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Al, I'm curious what you thought re: my response.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 09:49 PM
to all...

I know some very good players got to the WSOP via the internet.

However, I personally took a smaller money prize, very near the grand prize (a trip to the WSOP), in two tournaments, whilst watching two complete idiots make incredibly dumb plays and get very lucky, and thus making the WSOP. It's not even a bad beat story, because in neither case did the idiots knock me personally out of the tournaments, I just didn't get the cards at the right time, thus I didn't win the seat, and got $$ instead. I cannot believe that all online qualifiers were great players who played well and deserved their seats. In addition, I can't even believe that the majority of internet qualifiers are great players. There is just too much luck and too much hype attracting too many fish. Besides that, once someone like Negreaneau wins a seat, he won't win two or three or five.

The whole boom of poker is making all these tournaments FAR more of a crap shoot than they were before, everyone's SD is going way, way up all the time, it's just not the same anymore.

I won plenty of $$ just fine before the poker boom. I may actually win more $$ now, but it is FAR less enjoyable. Thus the crux of the biscuit with all my cynicism regarding the poker boom. The tables are less fun, the forums are less fun, poker as a general pastime and/or financial venture is just LESS FUN, and it's not just a LITTLE less, it's a LOT less. I'd gladly transport poker back to the way it was five years ago anytime, and keep it that way.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 09:56 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=670250&page=0&view=ex panded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

I don't think I am alone in my sentiments on the WSOP.

al

Jimbo
05-05-2004, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to break this to you but not being alone in a faulty belief does not make it any more correct.

Jimbo

Tyler Durden
05-05-2004, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd gladly transport poker back to the way it was five years ago anytime, and keep it that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion here is wrong. Opinions can't be wrong, but you've found a way. This is the first wrong opinion ever. Congrats.

Vehn
05-05-2004, 10:27 PM
You sir have won at the internet.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-05-2004, 10:42 PM
It really disturbs a lot of you that I found poker to be nearly as profitable, and FAR more enjoyable, before the poker boom. I don't care if my OPINION disturbs you tho. Hopefully one day, you'll be able to sort out that whole opinion-fact thing tyler. Keep at it.

My guess is that prior to the poker boom, most of you who are so adamately opposed to my viewpoint in this matter could not have broken even, let alone made a profit. If you were able to, you would have been around back then.

al

Glenn
05-05-2004, 11:03 PM
"My guess is that prior to the poker boom, most of you who are so adamately opposed to my viewpoint in this matter could not have broken even, let alone made a profit."

Yeah, you were a big tough guy in your 4/8 games.

The WET BEAVER
05-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Al Capone is usually a valuable poster. He's also the guy who hates the "contentless IG forum."

The best part was when he decided to take on the Zoo in the King of the Zoo tournament. Then he showed them who is boss. Al Capone whooped the zoo's butts and he became the King.

Ulysses
05-05-2004, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that prior to the poker boom, most of you who are so adamately opposed to my viewpoint in this matter could not have broken even, let alone made a profit. If you were able to, you would have been around back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't really make any sense.

Zetack
05-06-2004, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you're not alone. There are always people who prefer the "good ole days". In fact there are usually a lot of them.

--Zetack

rusty JEDI
05-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Tip for Capone.

If you want the good old days, move up in limits until you find one totally populated by good players. Then stop whining.

rJ

_2000Flushes
05-06-2004, 01:21 AM
Someone go sit with Al. He looks so pathetic eating all by himself.

-2kF