PDA

View Full Version : Any online players get that itch to play live?

bicyclekick
04-29-2004, 04:47 PM
I play online about 3 hours per day on average. I do this because it's so profitable and I enjoy it and there isn't a cardroom by my school.

The past week I've had this super big itch to play live. I haven't played in about 3 weeks and it's buggin me hehe. It's nowhere nearly as profitable. Terrible ev compaired to playing online, but it's so much more 'fun'.

One more week to go before I can play live again...couldn't come quick enough.

Just basically wondering if there are many other people that give up like -50 per hour by playing live just for the enjoyment of it?

Multitabling + higher limits for bad players makes the difference for me...

CrackerZack
04-29-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Multitabling + higher limits for bad players makes the difference for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

I also get the itch to play live a lot. I like playing live sooooooo much more. Anyway, the above quote, are you saying higher limits have worse players online? I find it the complete opposite. Live games are so much softer in my experience.

bicyclekick
04-29-2004, 05:16 PM
depends on wehere you play when.

LetsRock
04-29-2004, 05:18 PM
I prefer the live experience myself. I know it isn't as profitable, but the atmosphere makes up for the dollars for me. UNfortunately, I don't have easy access to a decent cardroom, so those sessions are rare treats; I spend most of my poker time on-line.

ChicagoTroy
04-29-2004, 05:26 PM
The further you get away from taking money out of people's pockets, the less satisfying it is. Watching digital chips slide towards your icon is less satisfying than having a dealer push a mountain of chips accross the felt, which in turn is less satisfying than grabbing a stack of bills out of the center of the table.

bicyclekick
04-29-2004, 05:32 PM
It also hurts less when I get sucked out on...because I have 300BB in my online roll sitting there so it's not a big deal. When you only buy in for 25 big bets and have to keep reloading when you get to like 15 those pots hurt more.

It's also nice not to have to carry around/withdraw/deposit cash.

SinCityGuy
04-29-2004, 06:56 PM
I live in Las Vegas, and I rarely play live games anymore. This will continue for me unless the online games get a lot tougher in the future.

Joe826
04-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Actually the cash is one of my favorite parts. I've only played live about 3 times, but there's something about buy-in and getting a few more hundreds back then you started with. I also find the competition MUCH softer. The 4/8 game I play is at times comparable to the .50/1 games on party. Usually it's about 1/2 or 2/4 though.

snowbank
04-29-2004, 07:21 PM
What are you doing still in school if you are making $50 an hour? Or was that exaggerated? What tables do you play and how many?

glen
04-29-2004, 07:22 PM
yes i get the itch. Then I play live for an hour and realize I don't like people that much and wish I didn't come. . .I am also going to vegas for a few weeks in two weeks. I hope I don't go crazy. . .

Mike Gallo
04-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Anyway, the above quote, are you saying higher limits have worse players online? I find it the complete opposite. Live games are so much softer in my experience.

I happen to agree. You cannot find a bad $10-$20 or $20-$40 game on the weekend at the Borgata.

Your one smart cookie /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike Gallo
04-29-2004, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The further you get away from taking money out of people's pockets, the less satisfying it is. Watching digital chips slide towards your icon is less satisfying than having a dealer push a mountain of chips accross the felt, which in turn is less satisfying than grabbing a stack of bills out of the center of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we play poker for different reasons /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

J_V
04-29-2004, 08:01 PM
I feel that playing live costs me 150+/hr so I don't do it.

alfman
04-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I know I for one play worse starting hands live out of boredom. Online I can wait out my poor pockets, since I have 3 tables open and see about 60 or more hands/hour at each table. Whereas live, if I hit a cold spell, I'll start throwing money in the pot with suited Queens and unsuited connectors just to get some action. But, I agree I have more fun in a live game.

Schneids
04-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah definitely, though it's kind of a weird 'experience' for me.

I'm always itching to go to Bury, but so often, by the time I leave there I'm always asking myself "why did I come here instead of just playing online?" I agree that online is more +EV, but, fwiw, the Bury 15/30 is by far softer than Party 15/30. Just be sure to turn down your aggression a few notches.

warlockjd
04-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Given that the highest (not exactly legal) cardrooms in Indy are 15/30, I have the itch to play live all the time.

But, with opportunity cost (4 15/30 partys) it's very -EV, especially since 2 of these have been raided by cops in the last 2 mos, so lately I haven't played live at all.

That's why I'm moving to Vegas or LA in 2 yrs. I imagine my online/live ratio will be about 60/40 then

nykenny
04-30-2004, 02:09 PM
I love to play live. But I need to play online. I get a huge rush playing 40-80 live, but I win much more with 15-30 online.

I miss the feeling of having racks and racks of chips in front of me. I miss the feeling of scouping a huge multi-way pot. I miss the "look left and act" fun. I miss the reverse tell of "staring and grabbing chips pre-maturely". I miss the sad look on the fish's face before he raise you on the river...

I love to look at my poker log.

Kenny