PDA

View Full Version : POKER AS A LIFESTYLE

04-06-2002, 06:06 PM
I was reading the NY TIMES when I came across an article that dealt with the life of an alcoholic. I find many things similar between the lifestyle of an alcoholic and that of a poker player. We all know about all the issues that we must deal with. However, it is such like a value bet with a board of a flop 5 7 9 and a turn 2 and a river of A to value bet your 88's! I hate when I eat all that shit that makes me fatter than I am, and then I look around the table and see all these people who you'd find at a race track and a bar who make me feel like I am wasting away with the rest of these wretched souls. Anyways, I may have gone a little off topic, but the gist of this post, is poker is a $hitty lifestyle and I don't want to become like the 90% of the mopes arounf the table, maybe I have already become one, AHHHHHH!!

Just my humble thoughts

El Cid

04-06-2002, 08:02 PM
Just don't make Poker your only outlet in life, and you'll be fine. Addicts only live for their addiction.

04-07-2002, 05:39 AM
Then don't play if you don't like the lifestyle. Don't whine about the lifestyle. You call the other players at the table mopes. Like your better than them. Guess what, your not! Why if you play poker its seen as a bad thing? This is my lifestyle and its far from your comparison to an alcoholic. Your confusing poker players with degenerate gamblers. True some poker players are degenerate gamblers. But i'm sure whatever field your in there are alcoholics and degenerate gamblers. Doesn't mean that its right to make a generalization that your lifestyle is not good because its the life of an alcoholic or of a degenerate gambler. Many people enjoy this lifestyle. It may not be for everybody. But just because it doesn't fit you doesn't mean you should knock it. Usually its losing players that say this becasue there jealous of the players that make it i've noticed.

04-07-2002, 11:55 AM
Pokerguy has it right. There are losers in every occupation--poker is no different. To be successful at playing poker for a living takes work and discipline. For those of us who choose to take the necessary steps to become winning players, poker is a terrific lifestyle. It's certainly not for everyone, but you should not knock those of us who love what we do. Babe

04-08-2002, 08:40 AM

04-08-2002, 09:49 AM
From most of your posts you sound like some bitter ugly chick. There's a reason nobody wants you and it has nothing with your looks. Your personality is much uglier than your looks i'm sure. Well it might be close only you know for sure.

04-08-2002, 11:28 AM

04-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Addicted is what the weak call the determined.

04-08-2002, 08:06 PM
you don't even know this girl. no reason to be nasty...

04-08-2002, 08:28 PM
Baggins,

I do know this girl. I know her to come out and rip someone for no good reason. She says something nasty and leaves. Never has anything nice to say. Just wants to try to make people miserable so they can be like her. Oh and btw i know your looking to laid. But you got know shot with her. I don't think she likes men.

04-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Determination to be great at anything you decide to do is admirable and a great quality. Self destruction isn't.

Those that study the game, enjoy playing and continue to try and improve their game are not addicts. Pro's that have honed their skills to the point where they can make a living are to be admired as much as anyone else that is on the top of their chosen career.

However, there is still a percentage of players that are gambling addicts. They play in a game they know nothing about simply to gamble. They throw away their rent money, kids college money, etc. That's a self destructive addiction, and is not an admirable quality.

04-09-2002, 07:30 AM

04-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Please elaborate. What i said was right on. And who is us? Who are you speaking for besides yourself?

04-09-2002, 09:42 AM
PokerGuy, you said

"From most of your posts you sound like some bitter ugly chick. There's a reason nobody wants you and it has nothing with your looks. Your personality is much uglier than your looks i'm sure. Well it might be close only you know for sure."

Then,

"Baggins, I do know this girl. I know her to come out and rip someone for no good reason. She says something nasty and leaves. Never has anything nice to say. Just wants to try to make people miserable so they can be like her. Oh and btw i know your looking to laid. But you got know shot with her. I don't think she likes men."

QUESTIONS:

1. Please elaborate on "inexplicable."

I did a quick 2+2 search, and validated my initial assumptions that 1) Jenbuckshot hasn't really posted that much, and 2) there wasn't anything particularly bitter, or which would reveal as to whether or not guys lust after her, or she after them. She may be somewhat of a cynic in terms of her sense of humor, but I could probably say that about her just by knowing that she is a girl on 2+2, without reading any of her posts.

2. How is what I said not "right on?"

Well, it is very possible that you are reacting very predictably and correctly, but to only one post of Jenbuckshot's, and that it happens to be some obscure post which made in into your sample and onto your radar screen but not onto mine. But whether or not this is the case is obscured, rather than cleared up, by your assertions that you "do know" her, and her comings and goings and so on, but don't know what she looks like - if I understood all that right. As a someone who picks up on patterns, I can probably say Baggins is a flirt, Jenbuckshot is not. But much beyond that, I would have to say that either your reading skills are far superior to mine, or you're working with non-public material.

3. Who is "us?"

In general, in a forum like this, you have to be aware that you are talking to an individual, and to the forum at large, at the same time. So when you tell Jenbuckshot that she's ugly, or tell Baggins that Jenbuckshot is a lesbian, the rest of us want to be persuaded of these things as well, or you're just wasting our space. You can address it to Jenbuckshot, but really what you have to be doing is saying to the rest of us, Jenbuckshot is this kind of person and here is my evidence.

4. Who is eLROY speaking for besides himself?

I can only assume my 2+2 surfing habits are at least as thorough as the average reader of your post. And my manner of thinking is not unusual. In fact, I was tempted to make a post before Baggins did, not criticizing you, but questioning your motivation, like maybe you thought Jen was calling you a mope, rather than El Cid. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to suspect that more than one other person would be nearly as puzzled as I was, or nearly as disappointed as Baggins was.

And yes, I did become less puzzled in the course of this examination, but you have to appreciate the burden you're putting on the reader to sort it out. Anyway, I could say a lot more, but I think I have fulfilled my debt to your use of the word "please":)

eLROY

04-09-2002, 12:57 PM
I was just joking, calling Pokerguy a mope since he sounded a little bitter defending the lifestyle El Cid described in his post. I will not attempt such putdown humor again.

04-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Elroy,

Thank you for the exlpaination. From what i've gathered it sounds like you went through some old posts from Jen and found some of the stuff i was referring too. Saying you were less puzzled in the coarse of the examination. I would never have reacted that way if i hadn't seen this before. And saying she has a cynical sense of humor may be correct. But does not excuse her from being nasty and insulting in many of her short responses to people. The other times i saw her rip people i let it go because i didn't want to get involved in a arguement. But when she ripped me with one of her one liners directly after writing a thoughtful post i had enough. I may have overreacted a bit in some of my comments to her.

As far as the "us" thing. I don't see how you can write the feelings of "us"(meaning other forum readers). You can only speak for yourself. Unless you spoke with all other readers and they gave you permission to say that was what they thought as well than it could be ok. Since this is impossible you can only speak for yourself. And speaking of wasting space i notice that some think this of you from your reputation on the other topics forum. Not saying that is the case as i rarely follow the other topics threads.

In closing i do appreciate your explanation. And see how you could get that idea that it was inexplicable. But if you researched further you might have seen some of her more nasty posts that led me to this reaction. I thank you for giving a clear explanation instead of just making some nasty comments like Jen sometimes does and leaving. By your reputation i thought you were gonna rip me. I respect you for not doing that. Thanks.

04-09-2002, 04:45 PM
Thank you Jen. And thank you if you stop such put down humor. Its downright mean when someone says how they feel and you take a shot at them. I do feel some of your nasty comments are funny. But hurt the poster your ripping. Not that i got hurt because i don't let things like that hurt me. But was annoyed. But one post in particular that i remember i think was responding to Clarkmeister talking about his family and sharing his true feelings and you ripped him one with one of those one liners. While i do admit it was funny, i thought Clarkmeister or whomever you were reponding to wouldn't appreciate it and it wasn't worth the 2 seconds of humor to rip them when it would upset the original poster. Thats why i ripped you. I may have overreacted and i apoligize for that.

04-09-2002, 10:56 PM
personal issues don't need to be brought up on here, i don't think. perhaps i don't know the history between you two. but it seemed like your personal attacks on somebody's character were a bit uncalled for. as far as me trying to get laid, well, you're just flat out wrong. im getting by just fine, not diverting any extra attention to that area, don't really see the need. i'd defend any woman's honor on here or IRL, whether i was trying to get laid or not.

04-09-2002, 11:02 PM
im not denying the charge, i probably am a flirt. but i'd like to know how in god's name you came up with that from my posts.

im not attacking, criticizing, or challenging in any mean-spirited or hyper-defensive way. just wondering what led you to that conclusion. i think its hilarious.

04-10-2002, 04:21 AM
What on earth gave him that idea? C'mon now.

04-10-2002, 04:28 AM
There is no personal history. I have just seen her rip other people almost every time i've seen her post. Now ripping me. I didn'yt start with her she started with me. Don't you see that? Just because she is a woman doesn't give her the right to rip people. You'll defend any wonam's honor? I'm sure she can take care of herself. If she has the nerve to rip people for no good reason she should be expecting feedback. i do agree i was a bit harsh with my comeback and apologized for it. But know i was right in the fact that she rips people and desrved feedback, just not as harsh as i was.

04-10-2002, 04:40 PM
well said...shut him down.

04-11-2002, 06:54 AM
Don't tell me what should and shouldn't be posted on here! Where do you get off? I don't tell you what you should be posting about so don't tell me.

And another thing. What's this about defending the lady's honor? Who cares whether its a lady or a man? What happened to women being treated as equals? I never heard you respond to her nasty posts to other posters. Why? Because she's a women and you want to kiss up to her.(hence the getting laid comment) Its ok for her to rip people, your not going to tell her what this forum's posts should and shouldn't be about. Why? Don't come at me like how dare you talk to a lady like that you'll have to answer to me crap. So save it please!

04-14-2002, 03:07 AM
actually, i was just posting my opinion. is it ok for you to tell me what to post, but not the other way around?

in regards to defending a woman's honor:

maybe im old-fashioned but i think there is something to be defended. i think the attack you made was substantially different than the one she made. just because i 'defended' her and not the other guy doesn't mean im sexist, or kissing up to her and trying to get laid. it doesn't mean that she was right, either.

so bite me. ill post my opinion until they ban it. just seemed like you crossed a line to me, thats why i responded.

04-14-2002, 08:05 AM
"so bite me"

Your really showing your age here. And what's up! I thought you were looking to get laid by women, now you want me to bite you?

What did you think of her response to Clarkmeister in the thread you started about how girlfriends deal with your lifestyle? You know the one where Clarkmeister was sharing personal heartfelt info on his life and how his family deals with it and she responded by making a crack about him. I'm sure you read it. Did you think that was nice? But you didn't say a word about it did you? You are a hypocrite and just don't realize it. Wake up my friend! Btw i had no gripe with you until you stuck your nose in my business where it didn't belong. The funny part i bet you wouldn't even have responded if it wasn't a women i responded to.

Trust me i wouldn't rip someone for no good reason. I am a very nice guy. But when i know other people aren't so nice, or are being an a-hole I rip back. Again she was just trying to make a witty cynical joke and i was a bit harsh as it was only the first time she did it to me. But I don't deserve you telling me what should be put on this forum. Who the hell are you? You are entitled to your opinion about my response but not to say what things I should be writing about and what not to write about on here. Would you like it if i said your posts about these women your trying to bang, and how they deal with your lifestyle were stupid threads and not appopriate for this forum? I may think it but does not mean its called for to tell you what you should write about. If i don't like the post or think its interesting i can just pass on reading or responding to it. Telling you what is appropriate for this forum is rude and pompass. And thats what you were when you said that.

In closing i have no real gripe with you other than that maybe you stuck your nose in something that wasn't your business because you wanted to be a big man and defend a girl's honor even when you agree that she was wrong.

04-15-2002, 04:01 AM
i just thought you crossed a line between mean-spirited in general and being personally nasty.

maybe i don't always jump in when i have an opinion, but i don't think that means that i am biased towards a certain gender when i DO happen to drop in my $.02 on the matter. in reagards to Jen's post in that thread to Clarkmeister, i thought somebody else handled the situation better, and i didn't need to step in.

when saying that i didn't think your post had a place on the forum, i was still stating my opinion. maybe it does have a place and im an idiot. you certainly don't have to listen to me. in fact, id urge you not to give weight to anything i say unless it has merit on its own (i assume you already do this, though).

as far as me getting laid, i don't understand why you keep making the point. im not trying to get laid, certainly not on a 2+2 Bulletin Board.

'In closing i have no real gripe with you other than that maybe you stuck your nose in something that wasn't your business because you wanted to be a big man and defend a girl's honor even when you agree that she was wrong.'

i think if its on this forum that it is everybody's business, and nobody should be excluded from posting a response. sticking my nose where it didn't belong didn't enter in to it, because i was responding to a post on a public forum.

i already am a big man. a girl's honor can still be intact when she is wrong. i felt you crossed a line of personal attack that wasn't warranted. even if she was wrong, does that make it right to be a jerk to her? i don't think it does, and i said so. would you say that you were RIGHT and justified in attacking her? or just that maybe she deserved it?

let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

04-15-2002, 08:55 AM
You ask if i felt it was right to be a jerk to her even if she was wrong? The answer is yes. But i did overreact a bit as I already said and the fact it was a first offense from her on me. Just a bit though. I actually didn't say anything that bad. Obviously i don't know what she looks like or whether she's a lesbian or not so its not really an insult. Just explaining how i felt about her personality on this forum. If i knew her and she actually was an ugly lesbian that would be mean. Its not like i even cursed at her. So chill big man! Are you really big? I pictured you to be skinny and average height? Not important just curious? Oh and your right its your business when its on this forum. Just meant if your going to take a side be prepared to buckle up and defend it against the person your against. So you want to fight or what? Just kidding no hard feelings. I like to debate but don't take it personally. And stop with this trying to get laid on here man it ain't gonna happen! Just kidding. lol

04-15-2002, 11:59 AM
Which post are you guys referring to that I was mean? I don't remember that one? And by the way, you guys need to play more poker and make less posts.

04-17-2002, 01:48 AM
ok. no harm no foul. i assume Jen didn't cry when she read your post. neither did i.

no i don't want to fight. i don't like to fight, but if it is necessary, well, ill still try to talk it over first.

in RE: my apperance, i am 6'3 and 265 lbs. im probably a bit intimidating too, i have a shaved head and a big bushy goatee. but im gentle as a teddy bear if you ask anybody who knows me. (had to learn that the hard way though. used to be like a 'bull in a china shop' as my mom used to say)

BTW - any hot chicks on here lookin for some hot love from a big bad dude? i need to get laid, seriously... (j/k)

04-17-2002, 01:52 AM
you're right. i DO need to play more poker and post less. but my BR is hurting in a major way right now and i can't play poker again until i get a new job.

RE: clarkmeister post -

he posted something about how he had a conversation with his mom and still can't convince her that poker isn't a degenerate, dirty, gambling addiction. was a good story, and was good insight. then there was a post by you (i think, but it could have been somebody else. i took pokerguy's research on the matter at face value.) being kinda nasty. i don't remember what it said, but it was mean.

04-17-2002, 07:45 AM
Are you that small? Alright lets go pussy!

04-17-2002, 10:07 AM

04-17-2002, 03:45 PM
so when are you gonna answer my question from the midstakes forum?

i don't play in vegas, so your 'secret' is safe with me.

feel free to email me at: baggins99@hotmail.com

04-17-2002, 03:46 PM