View Full Version : Curious what you think

MaxPower
04-02-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm curious what you think about the way I played this hand. What do you put my opponent on and given that did I play each street correctly?

The table was 6-handed and on the tight side. There had been a maniac at the table who had just left. I was so focused on the maniac that I didn't know much about the other players.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: MaxPower is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MaxPower bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MaxPower 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MaxPower checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, MaxPower calls.

Final Pot: 14.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 14.16 BB, between MaxPower and Button.</font>

Noodles
04-02-2004, 11:49 AM
hmmm,strange one I probably would have just called the turn,he is raising the pf 3 bettor,so should have better than a pair

sthief09
04-02-2004, 11:53 AM
I'd probably bet the river unless you have a reason to think he'd play a 5 this way. I don't think he's got 2 pair and I don't think he plays a set like this.

EDIT: but then again if I get raised again, I have little reason to believe I'm ahead, and I don't want to be in that situation. checking might induce a worse hand to bet, so I change my mind. check the river.

ZootMurph
04-02-2004, 12:02 PM
I put him on Big-10 or trips when he raises the flop.... Big-10 for sure when he doesn't cap it. When he raises again on the turn, I'm going back to trips, but he doesn't cap it again. I think he'd be capping with trips. If it is a tight table, we can assume he doesn't have 2 pair. I've got to think he's running top pair/big kicker.

To sum up, with no information it's hard to read. Tight passive would be running trips... tight aggressive would be top pair. One last possibility is this guy is still in 'maniac' mode, meaning he could be playing anything. So, I'd have played it the same except, not having a good read, bet/call on the turn and river. I wouldn't three bet without more info after the turn raise.

Raiser
04-02-2004, 12:07 PM
I think I would have bet out on the river.

I can't see why he wouldn't have capped the turn if he had a set. I can't see him having a straight, the way he played the flop and turn. I think he has top pair. He felt good about it on the flop, felt better about it on the turn when another undercard fell, and felt really good when you check the river.

Luke
04-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Most likely he has 33 or 44 but who knows. He didn't cap the turn for fear of TT and would have capped with a made straight. With no read he could be overplaying KT. I would call the turn and check-call the river, hoping for the best.

Luke

PokerBob
04-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Apparently he likes his hand enough to 2bet the PF raiser twice, but not enough to cap. Very odd. 6-handed I would think he 2 bets PF w/ KK, QQ or JJ and maybe TT. IMO he is playing his hand incorrectly, no matter what it is. If he likes it and thinks it is the best hand, he should go to war. If not, maybe go into check/call.

I think he is either underplaying a set or 2 pair (but wouldn't he have to be a nut to call 2 cold PF shorthanded with small suited connectors?), or overplaying AT, KT, KK, QQ, JJ.

I like what you did, but I'd bet the river. And just call if raised.

You have raised him 3 times. What could he put YOU on that he plays this way????? (Unless he flopped top set and has you pegged for AA, in which case, kudos to him.)Weird.

JARID
04-02-2004, 01:09 PM
I think he is holding a pair of 5s. I like the way you played it.

~J

BugsBunny
04-02-2004, 01:40 PM
I was at that table and know what your opponent had, which makes a subjective evaluation difficult.

The only thing I will say is that I have your opponent as tight and aggressive (of the 6 players left at that point 2 were fairly loose, the other 4 were tight). I also guess that he, at least tentatively, put you on overcards (AK) rather than an overpair.

If I was in his shoes I may have played it the same way, if I hadn't raised preflop. I may very well have raised preflop though. Assuming you then 3 bet the only thing I do different in his shoes is (probably) not raise the turn. Actually I may have smoothcalled the turn in either case.

Edit: Thinking about it some more I may have very well raised the turn in either case, figuring that at worst I get a free showdown.

I've now provided enough information that someone is likely to figure out what opponent had /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-bugs

PS - that maniac was definitely interesting - VPIP of 90%+, PFR of 75%. He really got my attention with this hand (I was multitabling 4 tables so hadn't really noticed him before - and I smoothcalled the flop planning to pop the turn - didn't realize he was a maniac till after this hand, otherwise I would have lost more on this one):
Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB

EP1 raises, EP2 3-bets, Button folds, Hero caps, BB folds, EP1 calls, EP2 calls

Flop(13 SB): J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero bets, EP1 raises, EP2 folds, Hero calls

Turn(8 1/2 BB): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, EP1 bets, Hero raises, EP1 3-bets, Hero caps, EP1 calls

River(16 1/2 BB): 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets, EP1 calls
EP1 shows J /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif for flopped 2 pair

Fortunately I got it back before he went bust. Too bad he didn't rebuy /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BugsBunny
04-02-2004, 02:00 PM
There was no 3 bet pf.

MaxPower
04-02-2004, 02:16 PM
Do you think he should have folded at any point on the flop?

I was very pleased with the way I played this. I was very sure that I had the best hand on the turn.

Were you the guy in the 1 seat who was defending the maniac? I had a note that said "2+2", but I didn't know it was you.

LetsRock
04-02-2004, 03:13 PM
He didn't raise PF, so it's hard to put him on TT (but TT is not always a raising hand for some players).

The flop bettting dialog tells me "I can beat your AK, but not your big PP. I have AT".

The turn betting is confusing, is he now saying "TT" or could he have possibly played some T6s and hand some backdoor flush draw that just 2 paired? "Now, I can beat your over pair, but not your set of tens" I wouldn't be srprised to see 33, 44 or 66 either. Lot's of ways for you to be behind - I don't think I would have 3-bet the turn-check/call mode.

I think that check/call is the proper river play unless he's seen you over play AK/AQ type hands.

These type of hands are so hard to figure because we don't see all the little things that have happened over the last hour that will influence play.

BugsBunny
04-02-2004, 09:30 PM
I thought I responded to this already, but I guess not. Actually I think you both played it well. And no, I don't think he should have layed it down on the flop. Like I said before the only thing I may do differently if I'm him is raise preflop - at that point he only had 1 limper in front of him (one of the loose players) and he had the BT. When you 3 bet it may change some of the dynamics further down the road a bit, but I would still not fold the flop - when it gets to him it's HU against a possible AK etc.

The board is pretty good for his hand - only one card in the low playing zone. He has to put you basically on either overcards or a decent pair, probably an overpair - possibly trip T's. The overcards are the most likely, so he figures you may be semi-bluffing the pot (very plausible) so he makes a play for the pot on the flop with what may be the best hand.

When the turn comes his play makes perfect sense, when you think about it, and so does yours. The river is a given from both sides.

JTG51
04-02-2004, 11:22 PM
I think he's got 55 but I wouldn't have made that read without the river action. If you thought that was a good possibility, nicely played. If you didn't, you probably should have bet the river.

MaxPower
04-03-2004, 02:05 AM
The Button had 55.

I never put him on a hand stronger than one pair. Given the was he played the turn, I wasn't sure he had the 5s, but I thought checking and calling was prudent.

Bugs liked the way the Button played the hand. I'm not so sure. The only streets I think he played will are the turn and river. If you were the Button, how would you play it?

sthief09
04-03-2004, 02:10 AM
might he have played a flopped set like this? I think so... 44/33 seem possible.

he smooth called the flop intending to raise the turn, but then you 3-bet the turn, so he worried about you having TT. when you checked the river he bet... exactly how a good player might play a set

BugsBunny
04-03-2004, 03:03 PM
The only real question on the flop, I think, is should he have folded to your 3 bet. If he thinks you would possibly 3 bet here with AK/Q (maybe even J) the answer is no he shouldn't fold - he would probably go into call down mode.

If he feels that you would only 3 bet with a made hand of TP or better then he should probably lay down. A good player is more likely to 3 bet the AK/Q here then a weak player - so if he views you as a good player - or possibly a terrible player that will bluff with anything - then he should call (raise if he thinks you're terrible). If he views you as a by the book ABC player he should laydown.

I think he was a good enough player to recognize you as a good player, and I think the call was a compliment in a strange sort of way recognizing that you might semibluff this hand with strong overcards.

If the turn didn't come down the way it did I suspect he either goes into call down mode, or possibly lays it down. I'm almost certain he lays it down to a 3 bet on the turn, if he did raise it again. But a call on the turn, and another call on the river - assuming no overcards fall, is probably the way it would have gone.

me454555
04-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Pf and flop I would have played the same. I definatly would have raised you on the flop b/c you could easily have AK or some other pair of overcards that I still beat.

Turn: Call instead of raising. By 3 betting the flop, you've convinced me you've got AT beat so combined w/your pf raise, I'd put you on a big pocket pair, JJ-AA. I don't see the point in raising the turn b/c your not going to fold here and theres a good posssiblility of getting 3-bet just like you did. All your opponent is doing is charging himself to draw b/c hes got to realize that he's behind here.

River: Self explanitory

If he had just called the turn, would you have bet out on the river?