PDA

View Full Version : Heads up river phenomenon

Mike Gallo
04-01-2004, 12:21 AM
I had a conversation with my friend lurker/poster Fred G Sanford regarding the amount of times someone will call a preflop aggressor down.

Example, I raise from ep and I get one caller. I bet the flop the player calls. I bet the turn the player calls. What percent of the time will this player call when bet to on the river? I find the player will almost always payoff.

In my experience I have found that most players who call the turn will also call the river.

AJo Go All In
04-01-2004, 12:35 AM
revolutionary stuff here.

sthief09
04-01-2004, 12:49 AM
interesting point... against bad opponents, they will draw to a 4 outer heads up, so I think the chance that you get called on the river is a function of how coordinated the board is. that is, the more coordinated, the less chance he'll call you on the river

MaxPower
04-01-2004, 12:49 AM
I think they generally call enough to make bluffing unprofitable and value betting profitable.

Mike Gallo
04-01-2004, 01:08 AM
revolutionary stuff here.

Not really /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Bear
04-01-2004, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a conversation with my friend lurker/poster Fred G Sanford regarding the amount of times someone will call a preflop aggressor down.

Example, I raise from ep and I get one caller. I bet the flop the player calls. I bet the turn the player calls. What percent of the time will this player call when bet to on the river? I find the player will almost always payoff.

In my experience I have found that most players who call the turn will also call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

MG,

The % of the time the player will call on the river is completely board/player dependent and no universal standard can be established. This is where you need to play real poker. My opinion is that the majority of the players who call the turn also call the river. But that fact alone means nothing. There are a million other factors to consider when deciding whether or not to bet the river. If we can start speaking of those, then this thread might start to gain some momentum in regards to "when to bet the river".

Nottom
04-01-2004, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
okay....it's already been mentioned already, but i have to respond to this.
i think it's pretty darn offensive to some of us who don't make 50k or more per year.

i've seen this type of sentiment in other threads around here so you're not that feels that way.
somebody else mentioned that it's possible some people would be miserable making 'as little' as 50k a year.
huh?!?!
if you are miserable making that amount of money then i suggest it's not just the money that is making you miserable...you probably have created some misery in your life all on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the trick is to know when you are bluffing and when you are value betting.

MaxPower
04-01-2004, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
okay....it's already been mentioned already, but i have to respond to this.
i think it's pretty darn offensive to some of us who don't make 50k or more per year.

i've seen this type of sentiment in other threads around here so you're not that feels that way.
somebody else mentioned that it's possible some people would be miserable making 'as little' as 50k a year.
huh?!?!
if you are miserable making that amount of money then i suggest it's not just the money that is making you miserable...you probably have created some misery in your life all on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the trick is to know when you are bluffing and when you are value betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to make it clear that I didn't make that post you are quoting. I would be miserable if I were making 50K a year /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Homer
04-01-2004, 09:44 AM
I hate you. I seriously wish you would die.

Best Wishes, Homer

Mike Gallo
04-01-2004, 10:02 AM
I hate you. I seriously wish you would die.

That sounded harsh, how do you mean that?

AviD
04-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Homer went all in with AJo?

Homer
04-01-2004, 10:20 AM
That sounded harsh, how do you mean that?

Sorry, I know I wasn't clear in my first post. What I meant is that I'd like to see Ace Jackoff do something like this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gossip&Number=604836&Forum =All_Forums&Words=365&Match=Username&Searchpage=1& Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=604836&Search=true#Post 604836).

-- Homer

EDIT: I don't really want Ace Jackoff to die, I just want him to stop being such an ass.

Mike Gallo
04-01-2004, 10:41 AM
EDIT: I don't really want Ace Jackoff to die, I just want him to stop being such an ass.

I knew what you meant.

I like the new assertive you. Keep it up /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nottom
04-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Well this obviously is not the quote I meant to respond to ....

The Dude
04-01-2004, 03:06 PM
This is the strangest thread I've read in a while. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

balkii
04-01-2004, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find the player will almost always payoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I think is funny. I get more action when I raise preflop than when I limp. Too many times i will limp in with low pockets, hit the set, and get 5 people to fold to a flop bet. Yet they aLways call me down if I raise preflop.

Weird stuff

tripdad
04-01-2004, 06:21 PM
i'm confused as well. i think i need a drink. maybe we should just change the subject randomly. in fact, i wouldn't mind seeing Shana Hiatt's boobs. hurry, before the boss deletes it!

cheers!

Mike Gallo
04-01-2004, 07:53 PM
This is the strangest thread I've read in a while.

You havent read anything else strange today?