PDA

View Full Version : Chipleader with 4 left. What do you need to call here?

ZeeJustin
03-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Party $200+15 NL SNG (50/30/20)

Hero has a very aggressive image (has raised 3 out of the past 6 hands)
The SB is also very aggressive as well. It's likely that he's looking to make a move, but he's also a good player that won't do anything foolish.
The other 2 players have played in line, and are nothing out of the ordinary.

Stack sizes:
Hero (UTG) - 3545
Button - 2135
SB - 1760
BB - 2560

SB posts small blind (100)
BB posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
Hero raises (600) to 600
Button folds.
SB raises (1660) to 1760
SB is all-In.
BB calls (1560)
Hero calls (1160)
Creating Main Pot with $5280 with SB

What hands would make Hero's call correct?

Results in white: <font color="white"> Sorry. No results for you this time! Mwuhuhahaha </font>

eastbay
03-24-2004, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party $200+15 NL SNG (50/30/20)

Hero has a very aggressive image (has raised 3 out of the past 6 hands)
The SB is also very aggressive as well. It's likely that he's looking to make a move, but he's also a good player that won't do anything foolish.
The other 2 players have played in line, and are nothing out of the ordinary.

Stack sizes:
Hero (UTG) - 3545
Button - 2135
SB - 1760
BB - 2560

SB posts small blind (100)
BB posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
Hero raises (600) to 600
Button folds.
SB raises (1660) to 1760
SB is all-In.
BB calls (1560)
Hero calls (1160)
Creating Main Pot with $5280 with SB

What hands would make Hero's call correct?

Results in white: <font color="white"> Sorry. No results for you this time! Mwuhuhahaha </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell me what range of hands you would put him on here, and I'll tell you what calling hands are +EV for that set of push hands.

eastbay

TylerD
03-24-2004, 06:46 AM
I'd lay everything down apart from AA, KK, QQ, especially on the bubble.

Stagemusic
03-24-2004, 08:30 AM
I am only playing 2 hands here. AA or KK. I might also play QQ. Can't think of any other hands I am playing with 1 already all in on the bubble plus a caller. If you are folding, you still have 2900 left and you will be either...

A. Only 500 down from chip lead if SB wins or...
B. In the money in 2nd chip position if BB wins.

I would definitely HAVE to be holding AA or KK here to call all in. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

William
03-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Answer in white : <font color="white"> Sorry no answer this time Mwuhahahahahaha</font>

ZeeJustin
03-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Only AA or KK!?!? That seems ridiculous. You are getting 4:1 for a call here, and even if you lose, you still have a stack that's only barely below average. If you win, you will have over 6500 chips.

Do you always play tight on the bubble in SNG's? The bubble is my favorite spot to shove, especially as the chip leader. Granted, this is a calling situation, rather than shoving, but still, sacrificing EV by playing only AA and KK seems awful.

Surely some of you play a wider variety of hands in this spot.

ThaSaltCracka
03-24-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Answer in white : Sorry no answer this time Mwuhahahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

very funny /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree though only AA or KK should call here

ThaSaltCracka
03-24-2004, 01:42 PM
you make me think some now too.
I dunno a strong ace could be worth a call or some other pocket pairs, but you said yourself they are pretty solid players who aren't trying anything dumb, probably have good cards.

Tosh
03-24-2004, 01:44 PM
I would call with AA, KK, QQ and AK everytime. I would also call with 99-JJ and AQ a lot of the time.

Diplomat
03-24-2004, 01:49 PM
If my quick math is correct, you will have about 2000 TC left if you lose this hand. Also there is a good chance that you will be able to check down the flop with the BB, if he knows what's good for him. If you call and miss the flop, and the BB bets into you, it's an easy laydown. If you hit the flop, you can try to eliminate both players and have a substantial lead going into heads' up.

I'd call with a very wide range of hands here. Broadway cards, almost any pair, and decent suited connectors. Of course you'd go all-in with the big pairs and probably AK.

-Diplomat

PrayingMantis
03-24-2004, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only AA or KK!?!? That seems ridiculous. You are getting 4:1 for a call here, and even if you lose, you still have a stack that's only barely below average. If you win, you will have over 6500 chips.

Do you always play tight on the bubble in SNG's? The bubble is my favorite spot to shove, especially as the chip leader. Granted, this is a calling situation, rather than shoving, but still, sacrificing EV by playing only AA and KK seems awful.

Surely some of you play a wider variety of hands in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite understand the way you're looking at it. I won't be calling with *anything*, it's a push/fold situation. BB should have a very strong hand here, and notice he didn't even isolate SB, which can point many times even to AA. So basically, I will put SB on QQ-AA, AK, maybe TT-JJ, AQ, and BB on AA, KK, maybe AK.

Now, if you push, BB definitely calls. That gives you actual pot odds of 2.5:1. I don't see how you can go for it, (considering what your opponents have) with a wider range than AA, KK, maybe QQ, maybe AK. Probably only AA, KK. That's my thinking here.

So to answer your specific question: *calling* isn't something I'm going to do here, no matter what hands I hold.

But I don't play 215$ SNGs, so what do I know.

Prickly Pete
03-24-2004, 03:05 PM
I agree with you Zee. The play at these tables is much more aggressive (without always having monsters) than maybe everyone realizes. Folding AK or QQ is impossible. I'd probably call down to TT and AQ.

Diplomat
03-24-2004, 03:23 PM
I think this sounds a bit better than my first answer. My worry is the BB just calling. IMO he looks like he is begging for a call from Zee.

I'll eliminate small pairs and non-suited big cards, with the exception of AK and AQ.

If eliminating the small blind is your primary concern, calling with a couple more hands is fine, but not many more. Given though the stack sizes, etc., your primary goal should be to win the hand.

-Diplomat

Ulysses
03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would call with AA, KK, QQ and AK everytime. I would also call with 99-JJ and AQ a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much where I'm at. TT is a fulcrum-ish hand.

ohkanada
03-24-2004, 03:30 PM
I would agree as well with 99+ and AQ+. Maybe AJ and the occasional 66-88 depending on my mood.

Ken Poklitar

PrayingMantis
03-24-2004, 03:43 PM
After reading some of the newer posts, I relize that only calling might be fine! Yes, I've changed my mind. BB gives you the chance to suck-out on his monster, so why not do it?

So, If you take this chance, you can actually do it with ANY pair, it doesn't matter, 22 and JJ will have the same value, IMO, and probably many other holdings, that can break BB if you hit big.

Yep. That's what I'm thinking now. Interesting hand.

Edit: And if he bets all-in (800) on the flop, you will get 7.6:1 on the pot, which will not justify calling with an unimproved pair. In that case you can easily fold if you don't hit. That's why most Ax hand worth less here, I think, because you'll very likely be dominated to begin with.

Stagemusic
03-24-2004, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this sounds a bit better than my first answer. My worry is the BB just calling. IMO he looks like he is begging for a call from Zee.

I'll eliminate small pairs and non-suited big cards, with the exception of AK and AQ.

If eliminating the small blind is your primary concern, calling with a couple more hands is fine, but not many more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically the same place I was going. I would not go down as far as TT in any event in this case. If that is the way you want to look at it then I would add AK and maybe AQ.

In answer to Zee's question however. I normally would not get involved against the BB who called the all in without a VERY strong hand. You said yourself that these were fairly strong players. You may be getting 4-1 on a call but this is pre-flop. One thing that I do know, you aren't going to win anything at that point. I gaurantee that you will be made to decide whether or not to call his all in by the river.

Stagemusic
03-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah Salt.

Zee acerbic reply to my answer to the question that he obviously already had an answer for made me think too. Awful or not, that was my initial reaction. It might have been wrong. It's ok, I've been wrong before. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

William
03-24-2004, 04:11 PM
It's ok, I've been wrong before.

Stage, do you wish to use your "once in a lifetime free pass" on these one? /images/graemlins/grin.gif or are you assuming it's my birthday (you just missed by a couple of weeks, so I will accept that) early Xmas this year or just were in the mood of handing me an unexpected (but much apreciated) present /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daliman
03-24-2004, 09:25 PM
I would call here probably 99, ATs, AJo or better. With the Loose aggressive image cultivated, many good players and even a lot of bad players look at 66, A8s, or AT as a through ticket for a double up, if not just a resteal raise. ALthough 100-200 is a bit early to be pushing a stack hard vs. middling stacks, if you do happen to have one of the weaker hands I give, even if you do lose, you're still right in range of the other players, and if you win, you're in commanding shape and can dictate even more, which is what your style is for. with 3x BB raise standard, remember, anyone playing with you at this point will dedicate all his chips to the hand in shortstacked position i estimate 75% of the time. They are looking for a stand hand, and often, any ace will do. The fact that he is a good/solid player matters here too, but i figure is counterbalanced by the fact that HE may be on a flat resteal himself But then again, my results blow lately, so what do I know?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

t_perkin
03-25-2004, 05:18 AM
What do people think of the BBs play?
I think that BB is probably not on THAT strong a hand.
From BBs perspective:
I reckon he figures SB for an over aggressive player, if he takes out SB on his own then great. If you come into the hand after him then even if you win then BB gets 3rd place. There are a lot of hands I would push in on the BB here with. 77+ and A8+ maybe suited connectors?

should he have just pushed in? presumably not if he wants you to call to help take out the SB?

If he had pushed in, would it change anyones answer to the original question?

Nobody has talked about real $ implications. Surely this is an issue here ?

Tim