PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Bet or Poker Stars?

cianosheehan
03-15-2004, 05:34 PM
What is anyones opinion on the difference between Poker Stars and Ultimate Bet? Ultimate Bet dont seem to have any bonus-money banners around. Or does anyone know where one is? They have the mini-view feature though. Does this make a valuable difference?
Poker Stars tables are at a capacity of 9. So this increases chances of making the money in tournaments. Obvious drawback is prize pool is smaller. What is anyones opinion on this?
What is the game quality like at both sites? Which has more fish?
Thanks very much!!!

cferejohn
03-15-2004, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker Stars tables are at a capacity of 9. So this increases chances of making the money in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure that? Pokerstars may or may not pay a larger percentage of players (I think the websites can help you with that), but I don't see how table size increases your chance of making the money. Smaller tables do tend to generate more action (although the difference from 10 to 9 is minimal you end up being 7 and even 6 handed on Pokerstars quite a bit more often than you would in a 10-to-a-table tournament).

I haven't played at Ultimite bet, but the consensus opinion seems to be that PokerStars has the strongest players, but it also has the best tournament structure, so your chances of making money if you are better than the field are a bit better than other places.

cferejohn
03-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Allow me to answer my own question. Since this is the one-table forum, obviously smaller tables = better chance of making the money...sorry for being dense, I haven't adjusted to this whole "two tournament forums" thing yet...

Bozeman
03-15-2004, 09:06 PM
I think you should play either PS or Party. UB sits in the middle, better players than Party, worse structure than PS.

Craig

NotMitch
03-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Id vote Party, I left for a while and forgot how great the games were.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-16-2004, 11:23 PM
ring games on either are mostly pointless. too tight. UB uses many props. Stars claims not to, but their ring games are mostly worthless anyway. Stars tournament/sng structures are the best, so that's the only thing I play there. UB does not have bad tournament/sng structures, but their customer service sucks major ass, just like most other things on their site. the mini view is like choosing between regular charmin and charmin with prints - makes little difference you're just wiping the sh*t off your ass. I find the mini-view confusing and no easier than just offsetting your windows so the buttons don't overlap.

stars is MUCH better, UB basically sucks major ass. unfortunately, for ring games, you basically have to go with generic toilet paper/leftover sandpaper from desert storm, and use party/empire.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
03-16-2004, 11:26 PM
having played everywhere under the sun, 10 or 9 players makes very little real difference. 10 pays slightly more for first than 9, but you're slightly more likely to make first with 9, bla bla bla... it's 10/10ths of one and 9/9ths of another.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
03-16-2004, 11:29 PM
party's structures for tournaments, especially SNGs, sucks MAJOR ASS. I would much rather PLAY poker than roll the dice.

al

CrisBrown
03-16-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi al,

[ QUOTE ]
ring games on either are mostly pointless. too tight. UB uses many props. Stars claims not to, but their ring games are mostly worthless anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree on this one, Al. William finally convinced me to play the $2/4 NL ring games on PokerStars, and he's right that the money there can be very good.

Cris

Al_Capone_Junior
03-16-2004, 11:48 PM
perhaps.

but still, pfffffffffft.

ring games party, tournaments and SNGs stars.

I am sure I could beat those games at stars, but why bother, when party is virtually guaranteed to be easier $$.

al

CrisBrown
03-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Hi Al,

LOL ... I've never played at Party, so I can't say. I'll take your word for it, though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cris

James282
03-17-2004, 01:16 AM
You are nuts if you think the 50+5 SnGs on Party or a roll of the dice. A good player can very easily finish in the money over 50% of the time. The players are absolutely atrocious and no blind structure can make up for them. The 30s and below use an 800 chip start with the same blind structure, and are still very beatable, but slightly more of a crapshoot.
-James

Al_Capone_Junior
03-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Does the stack size change in the $55 and larger sngs on party? I have never played anything but the smaller ones there (up to $33), because after about three I gave up and went to stars. If they give you more chips than the 800 I was assuming then perhaps I will give them another try. As it stands stars structure was just so much better, thus my comments. On stars I have no trouble with the $55 and $109 ones, nor the smaller ones either.

al