Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-15-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Ultimate Bet or Poker Stars?

What is anyones opinion on the difference between Poker Stars and Ultimate Bet? Ultimate Bet dont seem to have any bonus-money banners around. Or does anyone know where one is? They have the mini-view feature though. Does this make a valuable difference?
Poker Stars tables are at a capacity of 9. So this increases chances of making the money in tournaments. Obvious drawback is prize pool is smaller. What is anyones opinion on this?
What is the game quality like at both sites? Which has more fish?
Thanks very much!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Ultimate Bet or Poker Stars?

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Stars tables are at a capacity of 9. So this increases chances of making the money in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure that? Pokerstars may or may not pay a larger percentage of players (I think the websites can help you with that), but I don't see how table size increases your chance of making the money. Smaller tables do tend to generate more action (although the difference from 10 to 9 is minimal you end up being 7 and even 6 handed on Pokerstars quite a bit more often than you would in a 10-to-a-table tournament).

I haven't played at Ultimite bet, but the consensus opinion seems to be that PokerStars has the strongest players, but it also has the best tournament structure, so your chances of making money if you are better than the field are a bit better than other places.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:56 PM

Allow me to answer my own question. Since this is the one-table forum, obviously smaller tables = better chance of making the money...sorry for being dense, I haven't adjusted to this whole "two tournament forums" thing yet...
Old 03-15-2004, 09:06 PM

I think you should play either PS or Party. UB sits in the middle, better players than Party, worse structure than PS.

Craig
Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 PM

Id vote Party, I left for a while and forgot how great the games were.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:23 PM

ring games on either are mostly pointless. too tight. UB uses many props. Stars claims not to, but their ring games are mostly worthless anyway. Stars tournament/sng structures are the best, so that's the only thing I play there. UB does not have bad tournament/sng structures, but their customer service sucks major ass, just like most other things on their site. the mini view is like choosing between regular charmin and charmin with prints - makes little difference you're just wiping the sh*t off your ass. I find the mini-view confusing and no easier than just offsetting your windows so the buttons don't overlap.

stars is MUCH better, UB basically sucks major ass. unfortunately, for ring games, you basically have to go with generic toilet paper/leftover sandpaper from desert storm, and use party/empire.

al
Old 03-16-2004, 11:26 PM

having played everywhere under the sun, 10 or 9 players makes very little real difference. 10 pays slightly more for first than 9, but you're slightly more likely to make first with 9, bla bla bla... it's 10/10ths of one and 9/9ths of another.

al
Old 03-16-2004, 11:29 PM

party's structures for tournaments, especially SNGs, sucks MAJOR ASS. I would much rather PLAY poker than roll the dice.

al
Old 03-16-2004, 11:41 PM

Hi al,

[ QUOTE ]
ring games on either are mostly pointless. too tight. UB uses many props. Stars claims not to, but their ring games are mostly worthless anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree on this one, Al. William finally convinced me to play the $2/4 NL ring games on PokerStars, and he's right that the money there can be very good.

Cris
Old 03-16-2004, 11:48 PM

perhaps.

but still, pfffffffffft.

ring games party, tournaments and SNGs stars.

I am sure I could beat those games at stars, but why bother, when party is virtually guaranteed to be easier $$.

al