PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 foxwoods

BK1248
03-09-2004, 01:10 AM
I have no reads on any players, just got here. Loose game, 4 limpers and button raises, i call in the small blind with 99. 6 to the flop, flop is 9 8 2 rainbow. I check , button bets and i call and 1 more caller. 3 to the turn, next card is 7 rainbow. i check, check, button bets, i check raise to 40, limper folds, button makes it 60, and i make it 80, and he calls. the river is a king. I bet he raises i just call. What do you think? results to come later. thank you in advance.

astroglide
03-09-2004, 01:30 AM
in this situation i would likely lead the flop, hoping to trap a bunch of people in-between with a 3bet after the button raises

Garland
03-09-2004, 01:56 AM
Sounds like you fear the set of kings...I would fear it too the way it played out. Even if he has kings, he overplayed his hand on the turn and the river unless he has the nuts...J10, which doesn't seem to be a raising hand. The other possibility is he has a lower set. He has to be genuinely afraid of a straight by the turn unless he himself has it. I think you played it fine.

Garland

Joe Tall
03-09-2004, 08:53 AM
More than one paragraph would make your hands easier to read.

I would lead out on this flop and trap all the limpers between you and the button for multiple bets.

I also 3-bet the river.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall

glen
03-09-2004, 09:34 AM
"I would lead out on this flop and trap all the limpers between you and the button for multiple bets."

Yes.

"I also 3-bet the river."

I don't like this at all. JTs is a raising hand after limpers. He bet the flop, which is a no-brianer with there with JTs, and then the sb, who check-raised and then capped the turn leads out on the river, and gets raised! Unless you have some tell like the king hit him, this is an easy call. . .

Schmed
03-09-2004, 10:34 AM
I haven't read any responses but personally I would bet out on the flop, hopefully get raised, then I would reraise.

On the turn I would go ahead and take it to 3 as well. Once he capped I just go in to check call mode on the river unless I fill up.

Joe Tall
03-09-2004, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this at all. JTs is a raising hand after limpers. He bet the flop, which is a no-brianer with there with JTs, and then the sb, who check-raised and then capped the turn leads out on the river, and gets raised! Unless you have some tell like the king hit him, this is an easy call. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

glen,

I re-read the turn action. There is too much aggression from the button. I know you've played in the games but I'm not sure how much as of late. I live in that game and I'm the only one to raise after limpers w/JTs, etc.

Now, this has go me thinking. Such the action on the turn leads me to believe that he might have percisely KK.

Or, this hand was against me, and I did hold my moniker JTs! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Peace,
JT

BK1248
03-09-2004, 10:49 AM
The guy did have jt suited, a lot of people at the table said i overplayed the turn, but i put him on a high pocket, plus i dont have respect for their opinions, thats why i put it on here. Thanks.

glen
03-09-2004, 11:12 AM
"I know you've played in the games but I'm not sure how much as of late. I live in that game and I'm the only one to raise after limpers w/JTs, etc."

Then I think we both agree that this is a hand that can't really be answered in a post. In a post, I think it's an easy call on the river. Even if there is doubt, I think it's a call, because the river changed nothing, and if he has JT he still has the nuts and lose two instead of gaining one. . .but if he's not that smart and has demonstrated that, I agree a 3 bet is a fine option. . .

CrackerZack
03-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Bet the flop.

DcifrThs
03-09-2004, 12:15 PM
I haven't read the posts yet but from the looks of if i truly think you should not have slowplayed here. first 4 loose limpers will call your bet out of the sb for sure. then if the button raises he could have a draw or pair but probably not overcards, thus if he raises, you can then decide to either raise or call to get the overcalls...but notice that after your bet it makes it pretty wrong to just call again giving those gut shots NOW correct odds to hit. you will get called by loose long shots here with hopes of taking down a big pot between a c-r'er and a button aggressor. NOTICE that when you hold 99, there are VERY few flops on which a slowplay is warranted in a fairly decent pot (4-5 at least limpers or a raise) because of the possibility of either a straight being there on the next card or an ace being there which will give you action in a raised pot. when you hold higher pairs or lower pairs its more likely that a slowplay is correct with jacks being optimal (J62 being best case fora slowplay).

now on to what the button may have. it would be wonderful to know whether he is the type of player to raise high cards here, draws, pairs (almost certainly thats a yes), or whatever. further, you would gain more information from a flop bet with also tilts toward betting. if he is a knowledgable player ther jts is quite likely given the action. but jts and kk are the only two hands that should worry you here. i think your turn play was fine as he would play a pair like that...the river as well given that you should be ahead here most of the time. further, if he has aces he might raise you here too but thats pretty wishful thinking.

either he hit 8's or7's and raised with them on the button (i know many players who do this regardless of # of limpers), or he played jts or hit his kk. but it seems his hand was made on the turn or at least thats where you really saw his aggression here. but given that there's only one hand that beats you on the turn you played fine.

my guess is one of 4 hands. 88, 77, jts, kk. i don't think a even a poor player would raise the river here with something hed play that way after your aggression and have it be worse than a set of 9s...but 88 and 77 sure would be and are possible, although slightly less so in my mind.

questions? comments?
-Barron

DcifrThs
03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has to be genuinely afraid of a straight by the turn unless he himself has it. I think you played it fine.

Garland

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY good point and one i overlooked. given the check call, then c-r on the scare card, he must legitimately fear the straight so his reraise has to mean something. but i would still take it to 4 here i'd just be ahead so many times in this spot i couldn't back off. if he quickly calls i still think id bet and call one back.

but, Garland, your point is well taken and one i totally overlooked.
-Barron