PDA

View Full Version : MG returns to the Taj..tough river decision

Mike Gallo
03-06-2004, 12:33 PM
I made plans to meet up with poster/lurker NJChick last night at the Taj. She visited town because of the ATLARGE event. I found her seated in the "pink" chip game. For those who do not know this game gets played with pink $2.50 chips. The game plays as a $7.50-$15.00 game.

Most of the players in this game played a solid game. I considered the player to my immediate right (square) the worst player in the game. He played too many hands and went too far with them. In one hand the square had a set of Aces ( the nuts) and checked the river after furious action on the turn. His opponent had middle set and would have paid him off. The square claimed he checked because " I thought there was something out there I didnt see".

On to the hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NJchick open raises from middle position, everyone folded to the square. He called from the small blind. I looked down at AK and announced to NJChick " I have a hand, we might have something to post" and called. I know not reraising appears weak, however I had my reasons. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Flop

9 7 6 rainbow

The square checks, I check with the intention of check raising NJChick checks. I feel certain I have the best hand.

Turn A 9 7 6 completes rainbow

The square checks, I bet NJChick folds, the square calls.

River 10 A 9 7 6

The square bets. Do I raise do I call or do I fold?

Results and follow up thoughts later on.

chesspain
03-06-2004, 12:58 PM
MG,

I think that this is an easy fold. There are only 6BBs in the pot after opponent's river bet. Furthermore, regardless of whether you were attempting a flop c/r or not, your PF raise, flop check and turn bet pretty much telegraph to your opponent that you have a good ace. Unless he is really dense, it is difficult to imagine him checking the flop and turn and then betting out when the T hits on the river, unless he can beat an overpair.

Whereas your opponent might be prone getting confused in the heat of action, it doesn't take a lot of neural connections to see when a T completes an OESD to your 8x. Considering the rake involved, do you really think your hand will be good 20% of the time?

Finally, raising is only an option if you think that he would actually fold a strangely played two-pair like T9.

scrub
03-06-2004, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, regardless of whether you were attempting a flop c/r or not, your PF raise, flop check and turn bet pretty much telegraph to your opponent that you have a good ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

MG didn't raise. He flatcalled, but claimed that he had a hand.

southerndog
03-06-2004, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MG returns to the Taj..tough river decision

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice Hype!!

Mike Gallo
03-07-2004, 04:17 AM
I thought about it and called. I asked if he had A8 after I called him. My opponent said " nope,I missed" and showed Q 7 offsuit.

I sold this opponent short. That bet almost won him the pot.

Mikey
03-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Mike thinking about it now.... assuming I had no ability to make a judgement decision on people and I was basically just learning the game and didn't have the experience I do now... this, would be a clear fold for me approximately 100% of the time.

In order to make that call here especially when playing Live as opposed to internet you need to have very good judgement.

ZAC
03-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Anyway, was NJchick worth going back to Taj? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Trix
03-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Playing B&M you should have a good read. Isnīt this the type of guy who always would checkraise the river if he had something ?

I think its call or fold, unless you think he would pay the raise off with something you can beat, but probably still a call rather than a raise as he plays too many hands and could have an 8.

chesspain
03-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Did you ask him if he enjoys playing on Party?

Mike Gallo
03-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Anyway, was NJchick worth going back to Taj?

How exactly do you mean this /images/graemlins/confused.gif

She played pretty well, so it really wasnt worth going to the Taj for game selection.

Mike Gallo
03-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Dr Chess,

I thought of all of this, however earlier I saw this player check with the immortal nuts. His bet confused me a bit.

This player made a good bet. He observed the table well enough to know that I could make a laydown in that spot with a big ace. He knew the only way he could win was to bet, so he bet. Too bad I sometimes pay off like an ATM /images/graemlins/grin.gif

chesspain
03-07-2004, 11:44 AM
In general, against an "average" opponent, I might have been tempted to call. However, since you made him sound like a loose-passive dimwit, I would never have expected him to put a move on you. Nonetheless, he took the perfect opportunity for such a play, since your call is kind of marginal with the pot being relatively small.

P.S. Given your read on this opponent before this hand, do you still think that your river call would be good at least 20% of the time?

Mike Gallo
03-07-2004, 12:54 PM
I would never have expected him to put a move on you. Nonetheless, he took the perfect opportunity for such a play, since your call is kind of marginal with the pot being relatively small.

A little more background.

At the table sat several players who post or interact on RGP. A few of the players played a very solid game. As a result the table had players capable of making laydowns. The nimrod must have observed this and adjusted accordingly. I did not want to fold and have the nimrod table Q 7 and show how he made a move on me. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Just because the nimrod played loose passive did not know he did not know when to bluff or how to pick his spots. He did bluff earlier and showed it.

He made a very good bluff. I only got 6-1 for my call. My opponent almost backed into the correct play. However because of his prior actions I thought I might have the winner a little less than half the time.

Mike Gallo
03-07-2004, 12:59 PM
I think its call or fold, unless you think he would pay the raise off with something you can beat, but probably still a call rather than a raise as he plays too many hands and could have an 8.

I do not know if he would have called a raise. I asked NJChick after the hand if I missed a bet.

Anadrol 50
03-07-2004, 05:14 PM
She found his pen and pad sexy....

Mike Gallo
03-07-2004, 09:17 PM
She found his pen and pad sexy....

Hey now, who told about the pen and pad?

Most people find that geeky or unusual.

bunky9590
03-07-2004, 09:19 PM
i'd hate to see what notes are written down about me on the infamous pad. LOL

Mike Gallo
03-07-2004, 09:22 PM
i'd hate to see what notes are written down about me on the infamous pad.

Unpredicatable wild man /images/graemlins/shocked.gif