PDA

View Full Version : Problems in SNG's

Gomez22
03-05-2004, 02:32 AM
I can beat the ring games.

I can finish in the money in Multi's.

I just can't seem to be able to beat these damn SNG's.

I've played in 16 SNG's this year, and here are my results:

NLHE - 4 SNG's - 6, 8, 8, 9
LHE- 12 SNG's - 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 4, 6, 6, 1, 5, 8, 5

Let's see... that's 3/12 in limit, and 0/4 in NL.... 25% & 0% - pretty damn ugly if I do say so myself. Overall, a pitiful 3 for 16 in the money for a whopping 18.75%. BLECH!!!!!

I can see a greater degree of variance with the NL games, as every loss I've taken in the measley 4 I've played have been due to bad beats, but the limit games give me the greatest comcern.

OK... Before anyone states, I know this is too small of a sample size to be accurate, and granted, I DID have to leave 1 tourney because I got called in to work, but I'm sorta wondering if there are any tips you can give regarding play in these tournies.

What types of changes should I make from ring games in both limit and NL?

What about changes from multi-table tourneys?

Thanks for any help.

'Mez

Stoneii
03-05-2004, 08:55 AM
'Mez

1) What level r u playing at?
2) Are they 1 table or 2 SnG's?
3) Are they same level of opponents u play at ring/multi's?

Major difference I guess would be making adjustments quicker to playing full table, partial table then bubble play much quicker than in multi's. Did Cris Brown address this in 1 table v 2 table SnG strategies?

Don't play ring but I imagine difference being you can't sit for hours in SnG and learn opponents "style". Have to base your decisions on 1st couple rounds of play.

Note however, I am little league /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G'Luck

stoneii

Al_Capone_Junior
03-05-2004, 11:55 AM
You are right, 16 isn't NEARLY enough to make any conclusion. Also, 12 of those were limit hold'em SNGs, which actually have HIGHER variance than no limit. No limit players should experience a smaller variance at ring, tournament, and SNG, as long as they play well.

For the adjustments between ring and tournaments, I suggest Tournament poker for advanced players, by sklansky.

al

ripdog
03-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Gomez,

At least you're thinking about it. I suggest that you analyze your play at SNG's and adjust. At the $5 and $10 limits I have found that creating a super-tight image early and exploiting it later works very well. You're able to steal later, plus you actually catch a hand once in a while. I just finished a $20+$2 1-table SNG (my first) on UB and found that maybe this strategy will be less effective at this level. The reason is that my super-tightness was hardly noticeable because of the four other super-tights at the table (plus my flop % at the the 5/10 and 10/20 was a very loose 17%--usually I'm below 10%). I won it with a mixture of good play and good luck, raising the pot from the BB with AKo after only the SB called. Flop came 2 3 5 and my opponent bet the pot. I put him on a steal and raised all-in. He had me covered by ~1000 and called with J 5. he hit a J on the turn and I got ready to go to school, then the magic 4 hit the river and I pretty much coasted to the win. Good luck.

redsimon
03-05-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm not the greatest SNG player but making a steady income from it. I would say your sample is too small to make a decision. Hell, if you had moneyed in 75% of that small a sample you wouldn't claim to be the next Johnny Chan! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally I only play Limit O8 PLO8 and NLHE SNGs on PokerStars. Generally the play only starts at level 5 and if you are getting busted early are you putting lots in to win small antes early on? That can be the road to ruin.

Gomez22
03-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Most of my playing are the $5.00+$.50 at UB. I've played a couple $10+1 at Empire, too. I've only played 1 2-table SNG at Stars, and I finished 8th there (not included in original post).

As far as same level of players... I have no idea. Most of them have been pretty bad. A couple decent players here and there, but overall, your typical little fishie (that have been beating the hell out of me!).