PDA

View Full Version : Quadruple up or go home -- did I make the right choice?

Apoc
03-02-2004, 01:46 PM
$20+2 SNG at UB. Still early, 8 left and blinds at 15/30. Preflop, UTG(T750) limps, MP(T1200) limps, LP(T1150) limps, and I check in BB(T850) with 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Flop (T135 in pot) comes 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check my middle set, UTG bets pot, MP calls, LP raises to 360. I call (is that right or should I just push in here). UTG now raises all-in, MP calls, LP calls, and I go ahead and push in now as well.

I figured that I was against at least one flush draw, maybe a straight draw, and probably two pair or a lower set. If that's the case, I'm ahead (50%-65% according to twodimes), but there are a lot of cards which will make me unhappy.

Should I save my chips when it comes back me all-in and called by both players, or did I make the right decision, trying to quadruple up?

Thanks,
Apoc

SnakeRat
03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
I would push 100% of the time with that action the first chance I got, If they are ahead already with QQ your going to lose all your chips anyway.
QQ is not a very good limping hand either, so its extra unlikely. Your probably ahead hear and the draws will most likely have to fold if you push. I think if you push you either win nice pot right there or 3:1 of doubling up plus some.
Many worse hands than yours are going to want to see the next cards and could easily catch up for cheap.
I think its an automatic push(when it first comes back to you) with that action and board.
Calling after they are all in is also correct I think.

jaydoggie
03-02-2004, 02:38 PM
if they are all drawing you have a good of chance as they to do to improve your hand. (3 Qs, 1 7, 3 6s. plus the possibility of the board giving you a running pair.) but youre already ahead and dont need to improve. and they lost all their backdoor 2 pair, 3 of a kind outs. ive never folded a set on a flop like this in my life. i wouldnt start just cause people wanna give me their money.

foobar
03-02-2004, 02:39 PM
I think the play here is to either push or fold on the flop. I have a hard time laying down my second set against a flush or straight draw, and probably something like AQ. So, I push after LP makes it 360 to go. I think your call here was a bad idea: you're calling off almost half your stack when very few cards help you and many cards help opponents. Once UTG pushes in, I don't think you have any choice but to call: pot too big to get away from w/ your hand, and you're left w/ a tiny stack if you fold.

Also, I'd probably lead out w/ a pretty large bet (read pot sized or bigger) when you flopped your set on that board. With that flop, I want to make the drawing hands pay to see any additional cards.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.

jaydoggie
03-02-2004, 02:50 PM
i completely disagree with this. unless your oppenent has another set, or a straight flush draw. no card on the turn can kill you.

assume one has a straight flush draw, and one has an underset. theres still only 3 cards in the deck that can leave you dead or 1 outer at the river. the opponent making the striaght flsuh, or 4 of a kind.

assume this is the case. you are still left with 6 cards to improve a hand that doesnt need improvement, and youre also consuming some of the flush cards.

theres no way without knowing the opponent has QQ you can lay this down. anyone disagree?

foobar
03-02-2004, 03:58 PM
God dammit...I just spent about a half hour on and off writing a long post w/ my whole thoughts on this hand...went to submit and the db server hosting the forums was down...lost my post.

Anyhow, in response to the following Jay...

[ QUOTE ]

i completely disagree with this. unless your oppenent has another set, or a straight flush draw. no card on the turn can kill you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I misworded my post, I think the hero's play on the flop is an easy push. My only point was that I want to get all my chips in on the flop when I'm 95% sure I'm ahead rather than perhaps seeing a scare cards on turn. I think a scare card on the turn could be any heart besides Qh, and possibly any 5 or T. Granted you still have outs to make your boat or the case 7 for you quads, but you've gotta like your hand a lot less when any of the mentioned cards comes on the turn.

For what it's worth, I played the hand out in my head, and figured that based on the betting, it was something like this...

UTG on AQo...limp UTG, raised w/ top pair top kicker on flop to try to eliminate draw
MP Axh...limp preflop, calls UTG's initial bet on flop for implied odds or because he's a bad player...was getting 2-1 on initial call.
LP 66...limp preflop for set value...catches set on flop...makes a bad reraise on flop because he thinks he wants callers
Hero calls w/ his 77 (should have pushed)
UTG now faced w/ calling about T200 of his remaining T500 or so to LP's raise, so he just pushes in w/ his top pair top kicker
MP now getting better than 3-1 to call w/ his nut flush draw
LP calls small reraise from UTG w/ anything because pot is huge.

Anyhow, my guess could be way off...just my impressions...in my original post I worked out how much was in the pot at each stage of betting, but am too lazy to re-include now.

Cheers.

stupidsucker
03-02-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LP raises to 360. I call (is that right or should I just push in here

[/ QUOTE ]

Push here imo. You have a good hand, and you have the leverage. You simply cant fold imo here so you might as well gogogo. You may have lost this hand I dunno, but unless you know the players you are with I dont see how you can fold.

I say quadrouple up or go home. If you miss then /shrug happens all the time. If you hit, you are on cruise control to the money.

Just my opinion..

So what happened?

HajiShirazu
03-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Wow, I don't see how pushing in here could possibly be wrong unless somebody tabled queens face up. I mean, how can you play pocket pairs if you're not going to take the opportunity to go all in on the flop when you make a set. I do agree that your situation maybe isn't as great as it seems, since a lot of your board-pairing outs (if someone makes a flush/str8) are almost certainly dead, but you have to take your chances here.

Apoc
03-03-2004, 03:29 PM
UTG has 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif for bottom set
MP had A /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for nut flush draw
LP had Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for TP + flush draw

Of course, a heart came on the turn and no help on the river, and MP knocked us out.

Thanks for the responses!
Apoc