PDA

View Full Version : WarmonkEd's PP 2/4 QUIZ (#1)

WarmonkEd
03-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Hey guys, I'm doing a checkup on my gameplay after experiencing a bad run. So I thought I'd post some situations where I'm not too confident of my actions.

Any helpful analysis would be appreciated!

<font color="blue">QUESTION 1</font>
Party Poker 2/4 Hold 'Em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero-?

You are reasonably sure (75%) that you are ahead and MP3 is raising a pair of Q's. Given this, what is your correct course of action in order to maximize profit?

<font color="blue">QUESTION 2</font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold 'Em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB bets, BB calls, UTG raises, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero-

Raise/Call/Fold?
If you call/raise and a rag hits the turn?

<font color="blue">QUESTION 3</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 raises, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero-?

There is no read on UTG+2. MP2 &amp; MP3 are known to call too much. The button plays somewhat tight preflop, but aggressively post. SB &amp; BB are loose. What do you do?

<font color="blue">QUESTION 4</font>

You post in the CO.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, MP3 folds, Hero (poster) calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, Hero-?

PREFLOP: raise/call/fold?
FLOP: raise/call/fold?

JDErickson
03-02-2004, 01:01 AM
#1 3 bet
#2 fold
#3 probably fold
#4 preflop call, flop raise. If 3 bet I'd fold

Trix
03-02-2004, 01:07 AM
1) Call and checkrase turn
2) Call and act acording to turncard, action.
3) Call.
4) Raise preflop. When you didnīt, then raise flop.

Aaron Lovi
03-02-2004, 02:48 AM
question 1:
it's standard to 3-bet the flop and bet the turn. If 4-bet on the flop, just call down instead. It's important to follow this line of play in this situation. If you waited until the turn to raise, but get 3-bet instead there--you are in a disastrous situation and yet must call down. The disaster is that your chance of winning has now become minimal while your investment is heavy. You'd rather hide this sort of information from yourself here.

Question 2:
There is a strong argument for calling the flop, but I will fold in these spots. If a call on this flop is likely to lead to a situation where you don't know what to do then you should have folded the flop.

If you called the flop, I would require an improvement to call more bets. Another spade at least.

Question 3:
Call to try and spike

Question 4:
I don't know whether you should call or 3-bet preflop.
You should raise the flop.

Schneids
03-02-2004, 03:26 AM
Q1 -- If mp3 straightforward and typical party unable-to-fold-top-pair, call the flop then c/r the turn. If he's aggressive/somewhat respectable, I wouldn't mind 3-betting the flop, leading the turn, and c/r the river. This is a risk, but most aggressive players will throw in a river bet with KQ or AQ.

Q2 -- Fold. It's party and 7 are seeing a flop, you might have 2 clean outs (non spade kings).

Q3 -- What kind of 'loose' are SB and BB? The answer to that is the answer to whether I fold or call.

Q4 -- PF call is fine. Raise might be better. Flop, raise w/o a doubt.

Alobar
03-02-2004, 03:31 AM
1) If you think he has the queen, call and then check raise the turn. I prolly 3 bet to see if he caps

2)your getting about 10-1 on your call (assuming sb doesnt 3 bet). You've got overcards but I don't think you can count on the ace as clean, and the backdoor nut flush draw, also the really long shot backdoor straight draw. I think you can make a case for calling, but I don't think a fold is bad either.

3)call, you've got the odds to go for the set

4)pre flop I just call. On the flop if your going to play it I play it for the raise. MP2s bet means nothing, and since you posted he might fear you having the 5, also your raise might force out a ten.

WarmonkEd
03-02-2004, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Q3 -- What kind of 'loose' are SB and BB? The answer to that is the answer to whether I fold or call.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB and BB aren't as much calling stations as the "calls too much" guy. However I still expected at least one of them to call the raise.

sthief09
03-02-2004, 09:03 AM
1. I'd say call and then check-raise. This is a VERY uncoordinated flop, so there's no risk of letting any draws in cheaply. You didn't say what the BB did on the flop after you bet and MP3 raised, but I'm assuming he folded. That leaves you heads up, so clearly your best course of action would be to call the raise, making the MP3 think you have an underpair or AK, then check-raise the turn. You get 2 extra BB instead of 1.5. The only way it's better to 3-bet the flop is if you think the MP3 is capable of capping the flop, in which cause you can check-raise the turn. In this case you're getting 3 BB instead of 2. So then if you believe there is better than a 2-1 chance that your opponent will cap if you 3-bet, your best course of action is to 3-bet the flop then check raise the turn.

2. I don't see how people are advocating calling a raise here on the flop. To me, this is a clear cut fold. You got no piece of the flop other than needing runner runner QJ. An ace can be beat by AT or A9, and a king can be beat by QJ, KT, or K9. What's more, someone could be out there with T9, meaning no one card would win the pot for you. You would have to be extremely lucky to win without runner-runner Q-J or A-K.

3. 99 is good if you either get 1 or 2 others seeing the flop with you, or 5+. The worst situation is 3 or 4. If you 3-bet, I'd say you're likely to get 1 of the button, SB, or BB to call. That means you're getting 4 others, which is bad. So I'd probably call and hope to flop a set. Folding is also a viable option if you don't think you can chase people out if the flop comes rags.

4. If you 3-bet it preflop, there's a good chance that the limper folds, putting dead money in the pot. Whether or not the raiser caps the pot gives you some information about the strength of his hand.

That is a great flop for you. There's no way you're against a 5 (assuming you had 3-bet preflop, possibly getting you heads up), and depending on whether your opponent capped it, you can figure out the chance that you are against either an overpair. Flops like that are the reason you 3-bet to isolate preflop. It's possible the limper got a piece of that flop, but if you can isolate the raiser, you're much less likely to be up against something unpredictable, like AT or A5. If you are capped preflop, and cap the flop, you have to think you are behind. However, you'd probably be getting odds to check-call the rest of the way, hoping your opponent had something like overcards or 88.

WarmonkEd
03-02-2004, 05:45 PM
ok, this is what I've counted so far. This includes my friend's response (which isn't posted), but doesn't include the responses which didn't give definite answers

1) 3 Bet: 3
Call/Check-raise: 3

2) call: 1
fold: 4

3) call: 5
fold: 1

4) Preflop call: 3
Preflop raise: 3
Flop raise: 5
Flop fold: 1

Homer
03-02-2004, 05:52 PM
1. Three-bet

2. Fold

3. Call (Not close)

4a. Fold (unless opponents will go nuts with an overpair postflop)

EDIT - Didn't notice that you posted. Certainly don't fold. I'd typically three-bet.

4b. Raise

-- Homer

PokerNoob
03-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Question 1: Raise and lead out the turn. He'll call you down with his Q. Alternative is call and checkraise the turn. You miss a BB if he chickens out.

Question 2: I call looking for my overcards or a spade. If a rag hits, I fold.

Question 3: Call and see what develops with the flop. I think I'm playing this for set value.

Question 4: I'm torn between calling and raising preflop. Definite raise on the flop.

Schmed
03-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Hand 1,

Reraise, regardless of if he caps or not bet out on the turn and if he raises check call the river. I rarely worry about maximizing profit unless I have a big hand. AA is very vulnerable and you would hate to see his KQ catch his K or his Q. I believe that you let them know they are chasing. Heck it's in their nature to chase.

Hand 2

Fold, time to go is now. The raise hurts your odds, there's probably a much bigger draw out there than yours, if you hit you may lost to 10,9s. To quote KGB....."This one is no good for you"

Hand 3

Hands like this are the ones I am really working on understanding better myself. If it folds to you I think it's auto-raise. With a raise, 2 callers, probably the limper calling and maybe the BB you have the magic number of 5 to call so I smooth call and hope I hit my set. No set and action to me I fold, no action to me I lead out and am real weary of callers, if raised fold.

Hand 4

I think this is a situation where you have to raise preflop. You don't want those blinds in there and you want to try and drive out the EP caller. This is a risky play but like TJ says....Columbus took a risk and so am I... The way I play these is if I can get it heads up I raise anything they bet at me on the flop, if 3 bet and there are overcards and no real draw I think about folding it. Player dependant.

Gramps
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
1. Did BB fold here? If so, I'd call and C/R the Turn. If BB called two cold, I'd 3-bet.

(Edit: Actually...depends on how confident I am that it won't go check-check on the Turn. "Safe" play is 3-bet followed by a bet on the Turn)

Assuming that MP3 would cold-call with AQ, KQ (it's Party 2/4) or QQ, with the Q on the board it's 8 times as likely that he has AQ or KQ (also assuming he'd raise on the flop with all of these hands). Don't sweat the trip Queens yet.

2. Easy fold, not even close. You have an outside flush draw, outside straight draw, and Ace high in a multi-way pot. Let the chasers pay you when you have the best of it, don't return the favor.

3. Call.

4. Raise. MP2 may have seen that extra blind out there and lowered his raising standards a little bit, trying to get position with the extra $$ in the pot. They're more likely to give you respect for a 5 given your one bet/with position to call the raise. Try to get it heads up with MP2, if you get cold-called behind you (by the BB in particular), be careful (even with the flush draw, a lot of Party 2/4 players will wait to go for a Turn C/R here I've found, if they have a 5).

WarmonkEd
03-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Votes so far...
1) 3bet: 6
call/check-raise: 4
2) fold: 8
call: 2
3) fold:1
call: 9
4)preflop call:3
preflop raise: 5
flop raise: 7
flop fold: 1

I blew hands 2-4.

Hand 1:
I raised, MP3 called.
I bet the turn and MP3 folded.

Basically I didn't want the turn to go check-check, so I raised and bet the turn. But I was a little disappointed I didn't get more bets out of him.

Hand 2:
I called the flop:
turn: 2
1 bet to me, I called
river: 2
another bet to me. I folded. Even though the pot at this point was large, any pair would've beaten me and there were still people to act after me. I didn't think a bluff-raise would've worked here either. Anyway, it turns out everyone folded to the bettor.

Hand 3:
I folded. In retrospect I probably would've had the implied odds to call.

Hand 4:
preflop: called
turn: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
MP2 bets again. BB and I both call
river: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
check'd to me... hmm... Tempted to be, since MP2 may have been betting overcards, but I check it also.

BB: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
MP2: QQ

tripdad
03-03-2004, 05:10 PM
1. 3-bet...reason: his likely holding is KQ or AQ, both of which means he has more outs than you, so you need to make him pay. but it may be 44 or 55, in which case you need to know by 3 betting. if he caps, call down. if he just calls, bet out on turn.

2. fold...reason: your back door flush is roughly 25 to 1 longshot, and your K is not a clean out. it may give someone else the nuts. your ace is a better out, but is more than a 15 to 1 longshot. easy decision here.

3. i would call here knowing that sb and bb are loose. if at least one calls, you are getting proper odds.

4. preflop: i would 3 bet to isolate the raiser. most likely holding is an A with J or better kicker. raising makes 99 easier to play. calling is the worst of the 3 options. you must either raise or fold.

flop: another instance where you either raise or fold. i would raise it, then fold if capped. however, given your preflop call, folding not so bad either.

cheers!