PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods expanding and improving poker room.

JTG51
02-29-2004, 06:12 PM
I was told by an employee this weekend that Foxwoods has plans to add 15 tables to the poker room, bringing the total to 75 or 80, and install Borgata style video boards for waiting lists. They hope to have the project done by the start of the New England Poker Classic at the end of March, but there is no target date.

This is great news as the room has been so busy for the last few months that a typical wait is several hours long and there are usually so many names on the board that it is nearly unreadable.

Just a little more evidence of how popular poker is becoming.

Joe Tall
02-29-2004, 06:15 PM
The home of the greatest games in the country are adding room for more games.

Ah, the wonder of it all....

Peace,
Joe Tall

CrackerZack
02-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Obviously I heard this also as I talked to you yesterday. But I just wanted to add, that something like this would make me want to make the trip up more than once every 2 months. The games are obviously great, but its just not worth it to me to get up earlier on the weekend than I do for work to be able to play poker. If this addition allowed them to spread some of the bigger games they've run out of tables for, and more lower games to control the lists, I think everyone would be happy. Me included.

daryn
02-29-2004, 06:55 PM
i ended up getting there around 1:30pm yesterday, and ended up getting a seat without much of a problem. i'm not sure if this was a fluke or what

Mike Gallo
02-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Just a little more evidence of how popular poker is becoming.

I consider waiting for three hours to play poker evidence enough /images/graemlins/cool.gif

When I first visited Foxwoods, the poker room started where the tournament registration desk sits. The last time I visited, they replaced the poker tables with roulette tables and blackjack tables.

The Borgata also has plans to expand. The Borgata plans on having the largest poker room on the east coast.

CrackerZack
02-29-2004, 07:05 PM
JoeTall would have a better idea, but I haven't waited too long for 10/20 seats ( < 1 hour usually) but for any level below that, it can be hell.

morgant
02-29-2004, 08:16 PM
I have never waited more than 30 minutes for a seat at the woods. I play there mostly primetime, Friday nights, then through the weekend. Is it terrible of me to jump in when they call a name that is obviously not in the room any longer? I have played there several dozen times over the past year and employed this tactic virtually everytime and only once ran into a bit of static from some list waiters who claimed i wasn't joeschmoe..I worked my way out of it and had my seat in the 5/10 game in a jiffy.

Joe Tall
02-29-2004, 08:19 PM
"i ended up getting there around 1:30pm yesterday, and ended up getting a seat without much of a problem. i'm not sure if this was a fluke or what "

You got there just after the half-shift arrived and they open the 'foyer' tables. These tables usually get running around 12.30-1PM and chop the lists down fast.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
02-29-2004, 08:30 PM
That's not cool. Not cool at all.

You won't be able to cheat all the honest folk once the new system is in as you'll have to get your card scanned just to get on the list I believe.

Peace,
Joe Tall

toots
02-29-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm kind of split on this one.

Since poker is my game of choice, of course I'm happy to hear that they're expanding the poker room.

On the other hand, it's a blivit. I mean, until the new construction's done, I doubt that they're going to be able to make this expansion without taking over space occupied by something else, and it seems like the obvious place they're going to get that space is by taking it out of the non-smoking table games area.

Pity, because when I'm not playing poker, I'd rather be at the non-smoking table games.

And, of course, it seems nigh onto impossible that anything would cut into the areas devoted to the slots and other machines.

chesspain
02-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Jumping to the front of the line, especially as a well-practiced art, makes you as sleezy as any angelshooting weasel, and that's before you've even sat down. Get some scruples!

CrackerZack
02-29-2004, 09:51 PM
I can't see how they don't move the non-smoking area. When you wander around semi late at night, the non-smoking area is still crowded, but many of the smoking areas are not. I don't think this is a coincidence either. It really should be an entire non-smoking room as opposed to the small area between the poker room and the "rainforest square".

Homer
02-29-2004, 09:58 PM
If the world has taught me anything, it's that there's nothing wrong with screwing over others to get what you want.

mosch
03-01-2004, 02:54 AM
The worst I've had, in my limited experience, was just under three hours, with my name on everything from 4/8 to 20/40. The big lists only move quickly when there's a reasonable number of tables open. When there are only two 10/20 tables, and one 20/40, those lists don't budge.

toots
03-01-2004, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If the world has taught me anything, it's that there's nothing wrong with screwing over others to get what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy. Someone even more angry and bitter than I am. I'm impressed.

Hey, at least I know better than to state those sentiments in public.

midas
03-01-2004, 10:20 AM
JT - I've never seen card scanning for lists - is this what FW will be doing? I've never bothered getting a card - I only play 12-15hrs a month at FW

Joe Tall
03-01-2004, 10:44 AM
The new system is will incorporate higher technology w/plasma screens and a CPU keeping track of the list like the Borgata in AC. The demand for games has exceeded the archaic system of hand writing names. Scanning your card to get onto the list is rumored to be part of the software.

Peace
Joe Tall

MrDannimal
03-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Any idea on how they'll handle the one-off out of towners? I don't normally get a card (I'm assuming you mean the "players club" equivalent that also tracks table gaming for cops) if I'm only playing one day.

I'm hoping to get out there the first weekend in April (or maybe on my way back from Scotland when I stay over in NY two weeks later). I won't have a card, and don't mind getting one if needed, but will they be able to give it to me right there, or will I have to wait/not be on a list until I get it?

JTG51
03-01-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't know if they will be using a system that requires everyone to have a card, but it only takes a minute to get one.