PDA

View Full Version : flopping a set vs incredibly weak opponents

jaydoggie
02-20-2004, 09:12 AM
5+.50 S&G on 'stars.

opening round 10/20. MP i get dealt JJ. two limpers to me, which means nothing in a 5$ s&g 1st round. i bet the pot? should i have raised more? 2 limpers + BB + SB + my call=90. i bring it to 110.

1 player calls. so far so good.

flop A/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif

player leads out for 40.

now he has money in the pot, i know him to be an extremely poor player and he will call the rest of his stack right now if he has any peice of this, or a gutshot draw.

is the play to push them in, or make moderate bets all the way through and leave yourself some chips if a straight card hits?

kerssens
02-20-2004, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't push but if you're sure you'll get a call no matter what you might as well make him pay to hit the miracle card and play cautiously if the king or 10 hits. A raise to around 200 would be good.

Losing all
02-20-2004, 01:19 PM
he's gonna call? I push then.. And no way I let this turd hit his gutshot for a pot sized bet. Punish!

kerssens
02-20-2004, 01:41 PM
if he's gonna call any bet then why not give yourself a way out? if the draw doesn't hit than you win but if it does than he's still got some chips to play with

ohkanada
02-20-2004, 01:58 PM
If you really do know 100% he will call with a gutter or any pair then certainly push all-in. I question your ability to know he will really call 100% of the time. I'll assume he called with a gutshot and hit it!

Ken Poklitar

Losing all
02-20-2004, 02:01 PM
That might be good strategy in the World series or any other high $ tourney, I don't know, I don't play that high, but in fishy LL sng's you gotta play to win. Playing scared, not to lose poker with a high set is a good way to lock up a whole bunch of 3-6 place finishes.

kerssens
02-20-2004, 02:34 PM
I think the opposite is true, in the World Series or against people that know what they're doing you can take the pot down right there or make them pay to draw but against fishy players it makes no difference, its almost like dealing the cards face up

Losing all
02-20-2004, 02:43 PM
good luck puting this fish on a hand though. he could have a King or Ten(4outs) he could have AQ(4 again) he could have the 3 hands that have you beat(I doubt it, but maybe) He could also have 50 or so hands that are dead in the water.

How would you play it? bet medium to small and hope to take some of his stack if you win, then check/fold if a K or T show up? That wouldn't be very good.

kerssens
02-20-2004, 02:46 PM
I'd make him pay to hit the straight but I'm talking about if you were ABSOLUTELY positive that no matter what you did you'd get called, I don't see the benefit of going all in on the flop when you can leave yourself some money playing it a little slower

ThaSaltCracka
02-20-2004, 03:05 PM
why do you assume guthot draw, he could have a K, maybe even KT. Just because someone is a "bad" player, that doesn't mean they always have bad cards. I would raise here, but not go all in, maybe raise 200, to 240. If he calls, he probably has a piece or is drawing. I would think he would reraise if he had the straight all ready.
I say that because if he is as you say a weak player, that is probably going to be his play in this situation.

jaydoggie
02-20-2004, 10:49 PM
maybe i wasnt 100% sure he was going to call, but i've played with him before and ive seen him call allin with several trash hands where he got a small peice of the flop.

what happened this situation is he had A6o and was drawing almost completely dead. i won the pot, and had a fast chip lead that i rarely get.

lately ive been getting so screwed and started playing afraid of the 4 outters. and i usually dont get the maximum out of my hands. then im sitting short stacked at the bubble.

but this question was more of a personal theory question. do you play fearless when you know youre far ahead, or do you leave yourself outs. ive been leaving myself outs, which may be better closer to the bubble (IMO) but early on i need to get chips, and stop betting small with a powerful hand vs call station.

ThaSaltCracka
02-20-2004, 11:18 PM
do you play fearless when you know youre far ahead
of course, don't fear 16% chance to hit there card on the turn, or 8% on river. You need to bet when you "know" your ahead.