PDA

View Full Version : Attacking from BB with 88

PrayingMantis
01-20-2004, 07:35 PM
I find myself making questionable decisions when I'm not too short-stacked. Is this one of them?

10+1 2 tables SNG, 7 left, blinds 100/200, I'm a little below avarage w/T3000. I'm holding 88 on the BB.
UTG folds, UTG+1, smallest stack w/T1200, raises to T600. He plays pretty weak-tight. All fold to me, I raise him all-in. I think I'm considered a tight player at the table, and not too aggressive.

What do you think of this move? Is it +EV, if you take him for having over-cards, and that he might even fold (not very likely, but possible)? Is my stack too healthy for this?

Results (in white font):
<font color="white"> He thinks for a while, then calls and shows AJo. River is A and I double him up. My stack is too small now, and soon I bust out on another coin flip. </font>

PrayingMantis

Cornbread Maxwell
01-20-2004, 07:53 PM
I don't think this is an EASY fold or anything, and if you're going to play this, re-raising allin is of course correct. I would probably consider folding 88 in your position because your stack is relatively healthy, and you probably are a good enough player to outplay the rest of your opponents 7-handed. I just don't think 88 is a good enough hand for me to feel like I am WAY ahead by calling. You will usually see overcards or an overpair there more often than 77 or worse, in my experience.

If your hand is JJ, TT, or maybe even 99 then of course calling that size of a raise seems fine to me. I just tend to fold vs. allin raises a lot more in S&amp;G's until it gets to be about 3 or 4 handed, unless I have a premium hand.

However, if the raise came from a T2400 hand on the button who raised T600, and it 'felt' like a steal raise, then I would be more apt to re-raise allin there if I had a comparable stack to his.

Most of the value of your re-raise does not necessarily come from the strength or your hand, rather the percentage chance you think your opponent has of folding.

Greg (FossilMan)
01-20-2004, 10:03 PM
This seems like the perfect spot for the stop-and-go play. Call preflop, and then bet him all-in on the flop no matter what comes.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)