PDA

View Full Version : sklansky doesn't appreciate the granny mae!

ninja please
01-06-2004, 03:09 AM
i was just reading sklansky's "tournament poker for advanced players" and in his discussion of how much to lower your standards when you're short stacked and the blinds are coming (on page 65) he specifically mentions not going as low as the granny mae. of course, he didn't mention it by name, just as Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. i have to assume that it is a typo and he meant to say that you should be sure to raise with it. it'll probably be fixed in the next edition.

anyhow, thought some of you internet folks would find that marginallly interesting.

Sleepy Weasel
01-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Wow, you're right, I never noticed that before. Sigh. Into the trash it goes.

crockpot
01-06-2004, 04:57 AM
i think the HFAP example hand where he says you "can play hands as weak as Q5s" is Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. good thing he didn't pick spades for that one too or we'd have to boycott the company altogether.

Mike Haven
01-06-2004, 06:14 AM
I've asked Mat to ban him from the forums for making disruptive comments.

However, in something as important as this, I'm willing to believe the Printer ran out of /images/graemlins/club.gif symbols and made a catastrophic judgement error.

Although it's sad for TwoPlusTwo to lose such a customer as Mr Sklansky for his future business, they may learn the lesson that in poker there are certain things where it cannot be said, "It depends."

(I've informed Mat that I can't see anyone objecting to allowing Mr S back on the forums if he agrees to recall all books and personally correct the offensive error as his penance.)

bigpooch
01-06-2004, 08:11 AM
How do people get away with it? I remember an acquaintance
of mine raised with 53 of spades but I remembered quite
clearly it was diamonds in the book (Psychology section) and
he won an amazing amount with the hand! I think David must
have chosen the wrong suit! What is his attachment to
diamonds? Aren't spades the boss suit?

I hope in the next edition of HPFAP, those two hands will be
changed to spades!

RollaJ
01-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Interesting discussion on this error (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=381734&Forum=A ll_Forums&Words=1059&Match=Username&Searchpage=8&L imit=25&Old=allposts&Main=381600&Search=true#Post3 81734)

jedi
01-06-2004, 01:17 PM
I found that Granny Mae also works in a live tournament. I was sitting a NL tournament, the blinds were 25-50. I raised to 200 with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif from late position. Flop came J, 7, 5. I bet out another 200 and everyone folded. I opted not to show the hand though, as I think it'd be like pearls to swine.

[ QUOTE ]

thought some of you internet folks would find that marginallly interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

ramjam
01-06-2004, 09:39 PM
I have just witnessed further proof of the difference in value between Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and lesser Q5s's. I check in the big blind with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. The final board is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Whereas Granny Mae would have given me a winner, I was left with a total dog.