PDA

View Full Version : Alright, here's a contreversial one! 2-4 Borgata.

bunky9590
01-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Okay, same table as before but 2 donaters have been replaced by two loose aggressives. (still a GREAT table!)

I pick up 66 in MP all fold to me and I raise. (anyone who knows me knows that anytime I come into the pot first and intend to play I come in with a raise. Only 3 callers including the blinds, so only one person has position on me and that is one of the loose aggressives.

4 to the flop and the flop comes...........

2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (perfect)
SB and BB both check, I bet, button calls, SB and BB both call.

Turn: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB and BB check, I bet, button calls, both blinds fold.

River: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I check, Button bets. What's your play????
Results to come later.

Tosh
01-05-2004, 07:29 PM
I call a loose aggressive.

BottlesOf
01-05-2004, 07:40 PM
I agree. You're kind of inducing a bluff by checking, I think you should call, but expect to loose some of the time with those two overcards showing up.

Bob T.
01-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Call. The pot is too big to fold, and raising seems out of line.

Mike Gallo
01-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Call the river, I do not think you have any value in raising.

Anyone who knows me knows that anytime I come into the pot first and intend to play I come in with a raise.

Good preflop strategy,

onegymrat
01-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Hi Bunky,

I am more concerned about your turn bet. The worse thing about your hand is that three players called your raise. Any card in the playing zone will kill your sixes. The flop bet is fine. But if you bet the turn, you must bet the river. You are representing a big pair, so checking the river automatically shows your weakness. Opponent probably spiked his ten, and will call you down anyway. The time to check was the turn, and not the river.

That being said, call his river bet. Pray he was bluffing with ace-high.

The Bear
01-05-2004, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bunky,

I am more concerned about your turn bet. The worse thing about your hand is that three players called your raise. Any card in the playing zone will kill your sixes. The flop bet is fine. But if you bet the turn, you must bet the river. You are representing a big pair, so checking the river automatically shows your weakness. Opponent probably spiked his ten, and will call you down anyway. The time to check was the turn, and not the river.

That being said, call his river bet. Pray he was bluffing with ace-high.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dead wrong. You MUST bet the turn in order to protect your hand against overcards. This is a total no-brainer. If you check the turn here and the LAG checks behind, how do you know where you're at on the river. Virtually every river card is dangerous for your hand. Do you really want 4 opponents to see that card? And what is your action? Do you call a bet? Do you fold in this moderate-sized pot? You are essentially conceding the pot if you check the turn. This is the weakest of weak-tight advice.

Bet the turn. The river decision should depend on the LAG. I doubt he has A-high, since he would likely have 3-bet preflop, so you can't really hope to get called by that. Will he call w/ 55? I'm thinking that I like the check-call here.

Never fold.

MikeyObviously
01-05-2004, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
River: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I check, Button bets. What's your play????
Results to come later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about this...I actually like the check-call. It seems to me that the button is likely on a flush draw. A bet here would just make him fold, since he has no hand, but a check could induce him to bluff and therefore pick up one extra bet.

bunky9590
01-05-2004, 10:15 PM
I checked the river to the LAG in order to induce the bluff and or save myself the money if I'm beat. Moreso to induce the bluff.

I checked, he bet, I turbo called, he showed A2o and I took it down.

The LAG WOULD bet the river with A high after I showed weakness. I looked him up a couple of times before and after that and was constantly trying to bluff me out and missing.

I'm never laying down in this spot HU, ever. (especially against this opponent.)

The opponent would not call with A high but would bet it if checked to. Therefore, the added factor of catching him bluffing compared to getting raised if he hit his 6 outs to overcards. I think the check call in this instance given the opponent is definitely the most +EV situation.

onegymrat
01-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Bear,

If you read again carefully, his mistake was not betting the river. If he felt a strong "need" to check anywhere, it would be the turn.

bunky9590
01-05-2004, 10:25 PM
My mistake was betting the turn? I beg to differ. I bet the turn to chase out the blinds and possibly win it right there. It did its job, the lady in the BB folded the Queen, and I got the LAG HU, granted without position. But I knew how to handle him, even without position.

scrub
01-05-2004, 10:46 PM
I think your real mistake was wasting your time sitting 2/4 and paying that absurd rake... /images/graemlins/grin.gif Someone with your skills is wasting their time playing with those buffoons for those stakes when you can play with slightly better buffoons for higher stakes...

Other than that I liked it...:)

scrub

bunky9590
01-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Hey scrub,
Wish you were there. Could have met Kelly (my better half)
Other than the fact that she graduated from Penn she has some good points. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I stayed at the 2-4 for the wife's sake, (and the game was mine for the taking. (8+BB/hr for 5 solid hours.) Plus I only had like 5-6 hours to play. She was right behind me watching my plays when i wasn't in the hands.

She knows the preflop basics, but is learning the hand reading skills, the aggressiveness it takes to win, and the little plays to bring in the money with less than premimum hands.

Thanks for the compliment, BTW

Gomez22
01-05-2004, 11:10 PM
I make this call every time. In this case, if I'm thinking right, you only have to be right about 11% of the time to be ahead (If I'm wrong, I have no doubts someone will let me know). Betting the turn is good to clear overcards, and check-calling the river is probably the smartest thing to do with 2 overcards coming down the stretch. I would have either put the button on a busted flush draw, or A-high hand. Since the button's a lag, I'd have to say the A-high hand, since I believe even LAG's would check through a busted draw on the river, and more often than not, I've seen LAG's bet the turn/river with overcards after being shown weakness by another player, especially HU.

Nice post, Victoria...... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

'Mez

Joe Tall
01-06-2004, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I pick up 66 in MP all fold to me and I raise. (anyone who knows me knows that anytime I come into the pot first and intend to play I come in with a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great thinking.

River: I make a crying call vs. a LAG everytime.

Peace,
Joe Tall