PDA

View Full Version : fold preflop, fold on flop, check turn, or check river, or played fine

theriverwild
12-01-2003, 12:33 AM
I was playing in a lower limit 4-8 game at hollywood park with my friend who had a bit of bank roll problems. We sit to seats away from each other. He's on my right. Typically he's a fairly tight player for 4-8 but prone to getting loose when he's up or down. He's also capable of folding good hands for a single bet. It's a crazy game. people r playing j2 k4 and the pot isn't raised that often but there's a few capped pots preflop where the best hand is kq offsuit or something similar. I haven't won a hand in a few hours and look down at A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif in UTG plus 1. Now i know it's a group six hand and is a fold but it's the best i've seen and the game is so loose with 6 players to a lot of flops i decide to play since i figure it will probally be cheap. 6 of us see the flop including my friend in the BB. flop comes 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. small blind bets. My friend raises. In this spot he would probally raise with 89 or a 10 with a J or better kicker as well as anything better. Although a set would probally have been slowplayed. I decide it's fold or rr to get heads up and stop the overcards from killing me since the 3 players behind me will probally call 2 bets with just overcards but not 3. Hand wasn't weak enought to fold imo given my friends raising standards so i decide to rr. All fold inclding original better except my friend who has to think about calling for a bit and reluctantly puts his chips in the pot. Turn is 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif my friend checks and I bet. Right now i would really like a fold right now. He hesitates again but can't bring himself to fold the hand. River is another blank and he checks to me I debate betting or checking but decide there's a decent chance he might actually muck a better hand than mine, and if he does call i'm hoping for something like 10K or 10Q. I decide to bet and he calls. I think most of the streets r at least fairly debatable. What would u have done differently. I'll post results below

andyfox
12-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Playing A-T in early position in this type of game can tet you into trouble. So the pre-flop limp is debatable.

After that, I like your play and would have done exactly as you did. You can't fold top pair, top kicker on the flop and the 3-bet eliminated all the other players, giving your hand the best chance to hold up. When a small card comes on the turn and he checks, I would bet again, not wanting to give him a free chance to outdraw me. And when another small card comes on the river, I'd still like my chances of my hand being best.

theriverwild
12-01-2003, 02:26 AM
well my friend showed me 72 and took it down, but told me he was extremely close to folding it a for the 3 bet and on the turn. By the river he had comitted himself

Al_Capone_Junior
12-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Preflop I'll leave it at "a bit sketchy, at best."

On the flop I LIKE the three bet.

I see no reason to do anything but bet the turn.

The river is less certain but I'd probably throw caution to the wind and value bet it. I think your read was about right.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
12-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Despite the result I still like it, except for the pre-flop business. I thought I would be dissenting in my opinion but I see Andy also agreed.

al

Swiss Cheese
12-01-2003, 03:31 PM
well my friend showed me 72 and took it down, but told me he was extremely close to folding it a for the 3 bet and on the turn. By the river he had comitted himself

My question is this what hand that you limp with up front besides maybe 10-10 or 7-7(debatable) can he not beat? For him to say he was considering a fold means your playing overly weak or overly tight IMO. The hands I mentioned though I would assume your gonna raise in a loose passive 4-8 game to thin field. Just some thoughts I could be wrong!!!

Swiss Cheese

nykenny
12-01-2003, 04:35 PM
I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH WHAT YOU DID.

the preflop call was close, but given the game condition - loose, passive - you can play for one bet most of the times and most of the times people will play with much worse hands. so i think a call was OK. fold is about the same here. Raise would be wrong.

Turn + river are very straight forward. except i'd check to my friend on turn and river, because we soft-play each other. LOL /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nykenny
12-01-2003, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought I would be dissenting in my opinion but I see Andy also agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]
i also agreed too /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PokerPrince
12-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Try not to play a hand based on the fact that it's the nicest hand you've seen in a while.

PokerPrince

Brian
12-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi theriverwild,

You should try as soon as possible to start thinking of hands in terms other than "groups". There are plenty of Group 6 hands that are playable in this situation, such as 55 and 66. There are also plenty of group 4 and 5 hands that should be folded here, like JTo, QJo, etc.

-Brian

theriverwild
12-01-2003, 06:49 PM
well in response to the u may be playing a bit weak tight. I did 3 bet the flop with just top pair. I understand your thinking but my friend is just fairly easy to bulldoze through unless he has something good. Unfortunately for me he's getting better.

Packerfan1
12-01-2003, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't won a hand in a few hours and look down at A 10 in UTG plus 1. Now i know it's a group six hand and is a fold but it's the best i've seen

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure who penned it originally but it applies here...

<font color="green"> You don't need my advice. You already know how to play much better than you do. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
and the game is so loose with 6 players to a lot of flops i decide to play since i figure it will probally be cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking this way for ATo is fundamentally wrong. I think a re-read of HPFAP is in order.

Results of the hand?? I don't care. Neither should you.

I'm harsh because I care. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pack

theriverwild
12-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Well yes A10 is probally a fold in this situation. I knew i was gonna get a lot of pot odds ever though it wasn't suited and with hands like j2 coming in all the time I made a conscious decision to loosen up given my opposition. I don't think the call with A10 is all that bad considering i can play it better than my opponents and they would play any ace. I know what you're saying though. I know why it's a fold the vast majority of the time. I'd rr HPFAP but i think i already have it memorized. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrackerZack
12-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Good advice. much better than telling people to lick your bunghole. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

fold PF, rest is fine. Your friend considering folding is ludicrous.

Gabe
12-02-2003, 05:09 AM
Do you really think it's debatable?