PDA

View Full Version : Getting out when the fireworks start...

chesspain
11-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Paradise 1/2 Average Table

I'm in MP, and dealt 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Folded to me and I openlimp, CO calls, button calls, SB completes, BB checks...it should be noted that the button will play any single paint and will bet and raise aggressively whenever he hits any part of the flop....

3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, CO raises, button reraises (!?), folded back to me and I fold, CO caps, button calls.

[3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Bet, raise, reraise, and button caps all-in

[3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

CO showed A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Button showed K /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

...and my nines would have been good /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Was this a good fold on the flop, after a raise and a reraise? While I knew that the button was capable of nonsense betting, I also knew he could easily have been playing A3o, K3o, 34o, etc. In addition, I had no reason to believe that the CO was maniacal. Consequently, I decided to get out on the flop rather than coldcall two more and possibly have to throw in another bet before even seeing the turn.

Was I just a wuss?

rkiray
11-18-2003, 09:02 PM
If the button will play the hands you describe I think the fold is good.

ThingDo
11-18-2003, 10:32 PM
I think you have to raise this hand in MP when its folded to you. Either fold it or raise it, but calling just seems terrible. As for the rest of the hand... well... it becomes a lot easier once you've raised PF

Guido
11-19-2003, 06:29 AM
I completely agree with ThingDo. I would raise pre-flop as rkiray knows /images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotnt73
11-19-2003, 09:47 AM
i prob would have done the same as you right or wrong. You more or less represented a 3 and where raised not once but twice.

lil'
11-19-2003, 10:30 AM
That's a raising hand from MP.

The way things played out, it was going to be tough to stay through till the end.

Why are you playing with these 2 on your left? Table change please!

Aces McGee
11-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Had you open-raised your nines, you would have a better idea if you needed to worry about a trey.

Aces McGee

rkiray
11-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Actually Guido I've changed my mind about this. I now raise this hand first in. I'd just call if there was a limper ahead of me though. Everyone can learn.

Sarge85
11-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Raise PF - but i'm betting everyone else is going to say that.

However - i must have seen about 20 (ok probably not 20) flops similar to this last night. ($1/$2 at Truepoker) I have absolutely no clue on how to play a flop that has paired cards, that I have no part of.

I'll play my pair on the flop, think I'm good, then all of a sudden someone goes buckwild on the turn because they have the three of a kind.

Is it generally better to check the flop? God that seems weak tight.... But in low limit, with anybody playing Ax suited - its possible thier x gives them three of a kind.

Inwar
11-19-2003, 05:52 PM
My typical play of this hand:
Pre-Flop: Raise, as most other posters have mentioned.
Flop: Bet out with 1 or 2 opponents. Check, intending a check-raise, against 3 or more opponents. Re-raise any aggression shown against me.

Thinking: While you certainly may be against a 3, continuing to show aggression punishes overcards and small pocket pairs

Turn: Assuming I have 2 or more opponents, as you did, bet and fold to a raise.

Thinking: Any raises to my constant aggression displayed to this point suggest I'm dead in the water, and I get out

If your opponents displayed the same behavior they did in your case, my method of play would have resulted in me dropping on the turn, after losing an additional 3 BB (.5 for pre-flop raise, 1.5 for calling 3 flop raises, 1 for initial turn bet) relative to your play.

Then again, my early aggression may have slowed them down, allowing me to get to the river and win the pot, or possibly picking up the pot before showdown.

Hard to say, but I'm generally in favor of aggression on the cheap rounds of play at low-limit online tables.

Nottom
11-19-2003, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll play my pair on the flop, think I'm good, then all of a sudden someone goes buckwild on the turn because they have the three of a kind.

Is it generally better to check the flop? God that seems weak tight.... But in low limit, with anybody playing Ax suited - its possible thier x gives them three of a kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience at Truepoker the players love to slowplay and they love to play junk. Checking the flop doesn't help any since they won't bet with their 3 of a kind anyway, just make note of the players who do this and be ready for the uncloaking on the turn and fold to the raise if you don't have a big hand.