PDA

View Full Version : Schoonmaker reveals mercenary S+M!!

Rushmore
11-07-2003, 06:02 PM
In the current issue of Card Player, Alan Schoonmaker's excellent article on poker psychology revealed soemthing very interesting about HPFAP:

Apparently, the esteemed authors had originally wanted to entitle this lovely little romantic mystery story Holdem Poker For Professional Players, or Professional Holdem Poker or Texas Holdem Poker For Those Who Are Professionals, or something. You get the idea.

Anyway, the rationale behind adopting the eventual title of Holdem Poker For Advanced Players was, apparently, the fact that everyone believes he is an "advanced player."

Does this recently-revealed disingenuosity for the sake of book sales detract from the overall value of the masterwork itself?

Can we start a 12-Step program for those of us whose lives were shattered by the realization that we were mere dupes, nothing more than financial fodder for the mercenary and ruthless publishers who toyed with our emotions and bilked us out of our $39.95 plus S+H?

Guess I just had, like, a "recovered memory."

Mason Malmuth
11-07-2003, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can we start a 12-Step program for those of us whose lives were shattered by the realization that we were mere dupes, nothing more than financial fodder for the mercenary and ruthless publishers who toyed with our emotions and bilked us out of our $39.95 plus S+H?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rush:

You need to get your facts straight. We only bilked you out of $29.95 plus S&H, not the $39.95 that you list.

best wishes,
Mason

Mike Haven
11-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Looks like you missed a bet.

George Rice
11-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Damn, and I have three different versions of that book. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times, that's like getting check-raised on the flop, turn AND river!

Al_Capone_Junior
11-07-2003, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We only bilked you out of $29.95

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I was bilked too, Oh Great One. But if it hadn't said "advanced" on it I wouldn't have bought it cuz I was already advanced before I read it, just like everyone else.

The trickier question tho is how many had to go back and buy "hold'em poker" in order to understand the advanced book. Another one of your brilliant ploys, I'm sure, keeping them on the same shelf in the bookstore and all.

al

Phat Mack
11-08-2003, 04:38 PM
There's good news and bad news. The bad news: when Zee sells them out of the trunk of his '58 Eldorado, he charges $39.95. The good news: he doesn't charge shipping and handling.

Rushmore
11-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Sure, but I checked "yes" on the box that asked if I'd like to contribute $10.00 to the "Poker Professionals Relief Fund," to aid in the recovery effort for those who lost their livelihoods when Phil Hellmuth quit playing in cash games.

Rushmore
11-08-2003, 04:53 PM
The trickier question tho is how many had to go back and buy "hold'em poker" in order to understand the advanced book

This is reminiscent of the Marx Bros. episode at the racetrack ("Getta you Tootsie Frootsie Ice-a Cream!!"), where Groucho has to keep buying more and more books to understand the esoteric handicapping system that he's trying to buy.

In fact, it's EXACTLY the same! Hey! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rainbow Warrior
11-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Now that I think about it ("advanced" player that I am) I believe I've been an unwitting, but dedicated, contibutor to the "Poker Professionals Relief Fund" for many, many years in a variety of ways.
Are there any benefits?
Can I get a receipts for income tax purposes?
When's the next book release due?

"In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is King."

Mason Malmuth
11-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Hi Rush:

Actually I think it's more like the land auction in Coconuts where in an attempt to bid the price up Chico never stops bidding and buys every piece of property.

Best wishes,
Mason

Rushmore
11-09-2003, 06:34 PM

Zeno
11-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Mr. Malmuth,

I have a suggestion. It is inspired by Chico (from Horse Feathers?). Chico demanded $200 a day for his band to not play. It was $100 a day to practice etc. Anyway, I think you should charge all 2+2 ‘ers $30 each for not writing another book on Hold'em. No new editions or upgrades to keep up with changing tactics etc. Then start charging more money incrementally to not write additional poker books. Soon, you make more money by not writing, than by writing and selling your books - Truly a life of ease. You will not have to keep up with the publishing business and have much more leisure time to just play poker.

I will be sending you a bill for $100,000 for the above technical advice. I am sure over the years it will bring in much more money than that. Please pay in cash. Thank You.

Respectfully,

Zeno